BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm new on the forum. I've just installed a ice link plus in my Carbon Black 2002 M5. I live in Geneva Switzerland. I have DSP so I orded the dension kit with the Digital Anologique converter. Every thing is easly installed using redshifts pics. Unfortunately I have no sound. I get these sporadic tics that as if nothing is connected. Now my cd changer has the three pin and the six pin connecters and not the coax. On the dension site I read(after having ordered of course) that in that case the converter is not needed and you just plug it in the cd changers plugs. No one at K55 (swiss importer)said any thing on this. Is this true? Do I have to reset the DSP. If so how. I have unplugged the battery and nothing. I read everywhere poeple reseting the DSP amp but no one says how you do this.

Thanks for the Help. I want my Ipod...

·
Registered
512 Posts
I would try hooking up the kit directly to the 3 and 6 pin connectors without using the D/A converter at all. I have a 2002 with DSP and the kit came iwth the converter. However, I did not need to use it. If you have any other questions, let me know.

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
Yes, I think that's worth a try. My car has the coax, so I used that and the 3 pin connector. There is no 6 pin in my car. I think the 3 pin carries power and the control signals and the 6 pin carries the music output, so I would think using the DSP converter is unnecessary for yours. The DSP converter is needed on my car to convert the analog output of the IceLink+ to a digital signal carried through the coax to the coax input on the amp (which I finally discovered after help from people on this board was buried way back behind the Nav unit; it's not that silver-grey box near the tail lights; it's easy to make that mistake because the silver-grey box also has a coax input socket. Also, btw, taking out the Nav unit is a snap if you have those U-shaped DIN removal tools you can get from most car stereo stores.) Let us know if this works for you.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help. I'm connected to the right coax on the black box inthe back, that I'm sure. So the problème must be as you point it out that I have to use the six pin for the signal. Seems logical as there is no signal, which meens I'm not on the right plug. Now the connecters don't match but I call on Monday and get a compatible connecter. I'd cut the wires but I don't think they like it. I'll post when it works and finish this thread.

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
I'm connected to the right coax on the black box inthe back, that I'm sure.
Sorry. I'm confused. You should not need to cut any wires. Could you clarify? Does your car have both the 3 pin and 6 pin plugs wired into the car? I looked at the back of my CD changer yesterday and I noticed that it has female connectors for 3 pin, 6 pin and coax connections. But my car only has the 3 pin and a coax going to the amp. The CD changer must be made that way for a universal fit but one of the three connectors isn't used. You either have 3 and 6 pin and not use the coax, or 3 pin and coax and not use the 6 pin on the CD changer. But the important question is whether your car, not the CD changer, has both 3 and 6 pin plugs. If so, then you should plug both into the IceLink cable (the latest one has both plugs). I think that the 6 pin output is analog, so if your car has a 6 pin plug, it probably has its own A/D converter if ultimately the signal enters the amp with a coax connection (downstream of your CD 6 pin connector).

Let us know if this works.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Need4Spd said:
Sorry. I'm confused. You should not need to cut any wires. Could you clarify? Does your car have both the 3 pin and 6 pin plugs wired into the car? I looked at the back of my CD changer yesterday and I noticed that it has female connectors for 3 pin, 6 pin and coax connections. But my car only has the 3 pin and a coax going to the amp. The CD changer must be made that way for a universal fit but one of the three connectors isn't used. You either have 3 and 6 pin and not use the coax, or 3 pin and coax and not use the 6 pin on the CD changer. But the important question is whether your car, not the CD changer, has both 3 and 6 pin plugs. If so, then you should plug both into the IceLink cable (the latest one has both plugs). I think that the 6 pin output is analog, so if your car has a 6 pin plug, it probably has its own A/D converter if ultimately the signal enters the amp with a coax connection (downstream of your CD 6 pin connector).

Let us know if this works.
It is exactly what you've said. My changer as you point it out must be universal as it has coax, 3 pin, and 6 pin possiblilties. The only cables connected to the car though are the 3 and 6 pin wires. No Coax. This means I must have the wrong kit. I called the retail today and they will send me the standard one with 3 and 6 pin connectors. I post my resaults.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.