BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So drove to our mountain house for the wife's birthday last night, about 1115 fooling with a new caddy something or other on I80 east just before Donner summit and the tail steps out suddenly and corrects...Jesus Christ scared the living sh*t out of me, needless to say 60 the rest of the trip...still a bit rattled. I hate winter.

Steve Out.

Reactions: Puffdragon415

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess so huh?

Cheers for DSC...
In M mode set for MDM, I guess it did didn't it? Didn't even think of that...Nice to know it works, usually something we all try to work around/disable.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Yes, I got stupid once and almost caught a tree. DSC off, 500S. Now it stays in MDM. Look at the Paul Walker crash. The driver was no stranger to high performance cars and he still lost it. Glad it was only a scare.:eek:h:

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just a note. road was DRY but it was about 28 F out...think i just found a frozen little patch on the AC...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Cheers for DSC...
Right...I'd never turn it off in bad weather in any of the BMWs that I've owned. I made the mistake years ago with a 2004 GTO in the rain, and nearly ended up facing the wrong way on a 3 lane highway. Lesson learned. Save DSC-off for perfect weather...

·
Registered
279 Posts
Between Immigrant Gap and Kingvale they use "salt ports" in the road. These things shoot out a slury of salt, potassium chloride and water onto the road at the areas where we see the most accumulation. Once that stuff dries on the road it's like a dry lubricant. Truly awful. You likely hit one of those areas. They are very tuff to spot in the new section of 80 as it's all concrete roadway now which is all white to begin with.

I was driving up to Tahoe over the summer when they were doing maintenance on the ports and one sprayed my whole car with that crap.

I will say that the e60 M5 does a great job of getting back in shape if the tail let's go. The long wheelbase helps in those situation.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
better idea

M5 Stays out of the Sierras until spring...From here on out we take Big Iron, 2012 4WD LWB Crew cab Duramax Diesel truck...Complete with sand bags in the ***** end to cure the tail happiness.

Once it gets really sketchy, 40 MPH 4 High, manual mode 3/6, heat on, lay back :wroom:and watch the idiots passing us eventually stuff into snow banks...hiha

1 - 11 of 11 Posts