BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was installing brake ducts on my beast yesterday and it turns out the previous owner had an IATS relocation to the DME (not spliced into the driver side MAF) installed which he failed to mention. With that being said, I recently installed the IATS relocation for the evolve Alpha-N tune but spliced into the MAF vs the DME. My question is: which one is the DME actually reading from? My intuition says the one connected directly to the DME.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Part of wiring it to the DME is disconnecting the IATS in the MAF, so I would guess you are correct in your assumption.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
> Part of wiring it to the DME is disconnecting the IATS in the MAF, so I would guess you are correct in your assumption.

Interesting, I couldn't find evidence of this. The new sensor is just spliced into wires in the DME box.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
> Part of wiring it to the DME is disconnecting the IATS in the MAF, so I would guess you are correct in your assumption.

Interesting, I couldn't find evidence of this. The new sensor is just spliced into wires in the DME box.
I'm not sure then, but you're now getting three different readings combined, which can't be good. It shouldn't matter if all three are connected on the brown wire, but the other wire should only be connected to one sensor. Use a multimeter to check continuity to each sensor.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
mgdmb - thanks for the heads up, I've seen that post before. When I did what I thought was an IATS relocation it was in the bottom of the airbox, per suggestion.

I have attached a picture of the IATS relocation I found which has the sensor checking the air temp right before it hits the passenger side "snorkel". Not really sure which one is more accurate.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
mgdmb - thanks for the heads up, I've seen that post before. When I did what I thought was an IATS relocation it was in the bottom of the airbox, per suggestion.

I have attached a picture of the IATS relocation I found which has the sensor checking the air temp right before it hits the passenger side "snorkel". Not really sure which one is more accurate.
They're probably both close enough to not make that much of a difference. The airbox location might be prone to a bit more heat soak at idle, but I doubt it matters in the end.

I have CAIs, so mine is mounted in the brake duct - the plastic part behind the lower grill openings, not the aluminium part further back.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts