BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those that have done this mod, is there a noticeable difference with the cars power in hot weather conditions? Just planning ahead for the hot and humid summer months.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Do a search for some of my old posts where I gave comparison temp readings. The temp difference was as high as 30 degrees F or so and it does make a VERY noticible difference in the warmer weather.

:cheers:

·
Registered
784 Posts
johnv said:
For those that have done this mod, is there a noticeable difference with the cars power in hot weather conditions? Just planning ahead for the hot and humid summer months.
Just to chime in ..... it is a very inexpensive and easy to do modification that works extremely well particularly in those areas you indicated, warm, humid, and hot........

I just assisted a fellow through the installation of one that we shipped to him tonight; he lives in Florida.

The new retail price was just announced today for the complete relocation kit is $129.00 however we have them being offered at a significant discount on our web site www.Discovery-Automotive.com

We keep them stock so if you have an interest please let us know and we gladly answer any question you may have.

Take care.

Shadowman

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Sorry, I'm not really understanding how the IATS works. If hypothetically your A/F ratio is near-ideal w/o the IATS, isn't installing it going to screw the A/F ratio up?

·
Registered
784 Posts
BKH said:
Sorry, I'm not really understanding how the IATS works. If hypothetically your A/F ratio is near-ideal w/o the IATS, isn't installing it going to screw the A/F ratio up?

Great question.

The DME is constantly adjusting items such as fuel and timing depending on a list of variables one of which is the temperature of the air as it passes through the mass air flow sensors. Some refer to this process as adaptations. To put it simply, the system has a spread that it will continue to operate within properly, plus or minus a % off the ideal zero point that the car will simply never maintain.

With regards to your comment about the A/F ratio's, they too will remain relatively consistent because numerous variables are being changed at the same time such as timing. Add to this the fact that the sensors such as the O2s will constantly tell the DME what is going out the exhaust and attempt to adjust accordingly.

In the ideal world the temperature within the mass air flow sensor and the ambient temperature would be the same. However several items such as radiant heat, compartment temperatures, etc. will change this reading as such the DME may receive a single that says the air is warmer than it actually is and then makes fuel and timing adjustments accordingly. The result is less power, and in fact so much so in some areas and temperatures that it can be like night and day.

This is one of the many reasons that duplicating results on a dyno is difficult.

By using the IAT relocation kit the sensor within the mass air flow sensor is disabled and an alternate sensor is placed directly in the path of fresh air so the information being received by the DME is based on fact not an erroneous reading.

I hope that this helps. If you still have questions please let me know.

Take care.

Shadowman

·
Registered
6,354 Posts
OK boys and girls!

My name is Ahmed, I live in Bahrain. Bahrain is an island of about 600 square kms in area, and a population of just under 800,000.

Bahrain is hot, average summer temperatures are in the range of 45 degrees celsius to 55 degrees celsius! ( Cant be bothered to convert to fahrenheit ). Humidity makes it even worse and sometimes apparent temperatures can hit a whopping 58 degrees celsius. Oh and humidity levels are usually 100%!

I have installed the IATS and I must admit, its too good to be true! So i'm hoping this mod doesnt cause any permanent harm to my engine cause the power restored is amazing!

I will vouch for this mod until the day my engine blows up!

·
Registered
540 Posts
Shadow,

another topic of debate on the IATS is the most efficient location of the relocated probe. What are your thoughts on the best location.

I think I would define best as not necessarily the location where it picks up the coldest air temp but the location where it picks up the air temperature that is most representative of the air temp going into the plenum.

I hope my question makes sense?

regards,

al

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
I think I would define best as not necessarily the location where it picks up the coldest air temp but the location where it picks up the air temperature that is most representative of the air temp going into the plenum.
This has been debated but I'm with you on the concept. One location for this is in the airbox containing the air filter. People just drill a hole and mount it in there on the incoming side of the box. This is far enough from the engine and manifolds to avoid the heating you get with the stock location, yet representative of the air coming into the airbox because it is in the airbox.

·
Banned
300 Posts
This is straight from DINAN...looks like they also did their homework.....it should be combined with proper software to obtain a correct air/fuel ratio? ;

Ongoing development of the intake system revealed an interesting and significant discovery. Based upon exhaustive testing, it was determined that the stock location of the air temperature sensor within the Air Mass Meter was providing the engine management system with an artificially high reading, resulting in reduced power output. The culprit was determined to be "heat soaking" of the Air Mass Meter when an adequate flow of air was not passing over it, such as in daily stop and go traffic, producing a reading substantially higher than the actual temperature of the air entering the intake system. BMW's sophisticated engine management system would then automatically back off timing as a result, reducing available power until such time as the air flow cools the Air Mass Meter down. Therefore, the Dinan intake system includes an air temperature sensor reloaction kit as part of the system, providing the engine management system with a more accurate reading and consistent performance. Dinan Stage 2 Engine Software ensures that the proper ignition timing and air/fuel mixtures optimize power and driveability.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Here are 2 questions about IATS relocation.
1. It has been proven that moving the sensor allows for a lower temp reading and measures the air as it enters the engine compartment (or at least sooner in the intake system) but has it been proven to provide a truer reading of the air temp entering the engine? In other words does this mod fix a problem with incorrect temps or provide false readings to the computer that may cause it to produce incorrect settings for some situations? Do dyno results show higher power AND more ideal (but still safe) A/F ratios, etc?
2. A counter point to the Dinan statement above is this. If the IATS relocation corrects a problem, it should allow a stock computer to work better. Why is aftermarket software needed?

As an aside, now that my car is a finanance and not a lease, I've been contemplating 3 engine mods. Tubi (or similar) exhaust system, the IATS relocation, and Powerchips software. Will the 3 provide real gains with decent bang for the buck?

·
Banned
300 Posts
I hear the Kellener software has the best overall power increase?

Would you trust an american or german company to mess with your complex software?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Richard in NC,

The Powerchip mod (of the 3 you mentioned) is the only one likely to be seen on a dyno in a before/after comparison. The IATS and the exhaust will likely not be significant on their own in a dyno. The significance of the IATS would be to get the same power out of the engine in hot conditions that you can get in cold. But it doesn't add horsepower. The significance of the exhaust is to change the aural experience--it doesn't add HP either.

I think the IATS is able to work with stock software, just as you state. It is just a direct replacement/relocation of a stock sensor.

If by "bang for buck" you mean that you can feel a difference...you will be able to tell that the Powerchip and the IATS did something by seat of the pants testing. I feel that the Powerchip must make the car run "leaner", because I am getting better gas mileage by about 1 MPG with it.

Attachments

Reactions: joeywx

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
I feel that the Powerchip must make the car run "leaner", because I am getting better gas mileage by about 1 MPG with it.
Maybe. Another possibility is that remapping provides more spark advance, which can result in better efficiency, and better throttle response, both of which would cause you not to have to open the throttle as much to get "adequate" acceleration in daily driving, the result of which is better mileage.

As for the IATS relocation, I don't remember if anyone dyno'd before and after, but it seems to me that it would be tough to get any meaningful results because air flow in the dyno room tends to be artificially low. Greg did some extensive temp probe testing a while back but I don't recall what if any conclusions were reached as a result, other than the stock location does get quite hot in city driving.

I agree that the relocation should show benefits even with stock software because of the heat soak problem. I think Dinan's statement about their software is simply a comment on how its package takes everything into consideration, not necessarily that its software is needed to make the IATS relocation kit work.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
One important consideration in M5 mods in my opinion is to avoid SES lights. I doubt the IATS sensor causes any SES lights and might actually reduce them by not throwing the computer in a tizzy with a false high temp reading.

The Power chips reports seem to indicate few SES lights even with other mods. Thats a great benefit.

An interesting performance improvement with an aftermarket exhaust is weight savings. Saving 50 lbs is like 5 extra hp so the combination of the 3 mods should be a measurable and often noticeable improvement.

·
Banned
300 Posts
ok so what is the best location for the IATS relocation ....at the intake enclosure or below the bumper next to the radiator where I believe Discovery Auto places their kit?

·
Registered
361 Posts
This is an excellent thread. It cleared up most of the questions I had regarding this mod. I was especially concerned if the IATS kit would produce artifically low temp readings.

Has there been any research done as to the best location point using empirical data?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts