BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Novelist Iain Banks drives & compares the two latest generations of M5 in the September issue of Top Gear (the one with the silly free fridge magnets - page 115).

A mixed review. He complains a lot about the SMG gearbox (I disagree) and the indicator stalks (I agree).

Sorry I can't scan the article.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,213 Posts
There must be a way to fix the indicators, some cars have automatic turn off, others don't. Otherwise somebody MUST be able to fix it...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,114 Posts
MortenDK said:
There must be a way to fix the indicators, some cars have automatic turn off, others don't. Otherwise somebody MUST be able to fix it...
Can someone explain what the issue is with the indicator stalk??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,071 Posts
Rezf said:
Can someone explain what the issue is with the indicator stalk??
Evidently, if they don't self cancel, you can't turn it off. Moving the lever to cancel the signal just turns it on the other way. The car's technology sometimes gets in the way. I am sure there must ba a way, and it surely is in the manual. Also, they couldn't figure out how to turn off the NAV wench voice. This can be disabled, and it is in the manual. One complaint that is legitimate is that you can't just get in an M5 and drive it without instruction or reading the manual. It is not a common user interface, and no one knows why BMW thinks that one must be instructed to control the basic car operations.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,114 Posts
Digi said:
Evidently, if they don't self cancel, you can't turn it off. Moving the lever to cancel the signal just turns it on the other way. The car's technology sometimes gets in the way.
I recently drove the new 3, and was impressed to see that BMW finally incorporated the lane changing indicator in their cars (tap the indicator rather than pushing it down or up all the way and it self-cancells in 3 seconds)

Is THIS what is buggy with the new M5
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,071 Posts
From the 545 manual -- evidently you must almost turn on the signal again to cancel it when it doesn't self cancel:

Using turn signals
Press the lever beyond the resistance point.
To turn off manually, press the lever to the
resistance point.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,114 Posts
Digi said:
From the 545 manual -- evidently you must almost turn on the signal again to cancel it when it doesn't self cancel:

Using turn signals
Press the lever beyond the resistance point.
To turn off manually, press the lever to the
resistance point.
thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,213 Posts
"To turn off manually"

So if you don't do this it will turn off itself?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,071 Posts
MortenDK said:
"To turn off manually"

So if you don't do this it will turn off itself?
If the steering wheel is not turned enough in a turn to cancel the signal, or you signaled by accident, you will need to turn off the indicator manually. I do not think it turns off after a preset time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,213 Posts
Digi said:
If the steering wheel is not turned enough in a turn to cancel the signal, or you signaled by accident, you will need to turn off the indicator manually. I do not think it turns off after a preset time.
Now I'm completely lost ouich

So if I flash to the left, turns the wheel (quite a bit) and clears up for "straight direction" it WILL turn off automaticly?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,071 Posts
MortenDK said:
Now I'm completely lost ouich

So if I flash to the left, turns the wheel (quite a bit) and clears up for "straight direction" it WILL turn off automaticly?
Yes
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,213 Posts
Then I don't see what you are all complaining about..

The E39 540i from 1998 has the same thing..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
192 Posts
What are the problems?

The M5 turn indicators are working like normal indicators.

Only difference:
You can turn them off by pushing the switch in both directions!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
95 Posts
I don't see a major issue though they are a little different and take a bit of getting used to. The indicator stalks now do three things -

1) When enabled in idrive - a gentle prod and release will flash the indicators three times for overtaking and lane changes. I find this very useful

2) Hold against the detent will continue to flash the indicators until released.

3) Push past the detent will flash the indicators as per normal but to cancel push in the SAME direction.
What is taking me a bit more of getting used to is having the indicators, change down paddles and cruise control on the same side. Its very easy to have a senior moment and cancel the cruise control instead of prodding the indicator.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,071 Posts
chris.bailey said:
I don't see a major issue though they are a little different and take a bit of getting used to.

3) Push past the detent will flash the indicators as per normal but to cancel push in the SAME direction.

Exactly. The issue is that the manual cancellation is not self evident, and is different from any other car. A normal person would not be able to cancel the signal if it remains on without reading the manual. No one cancels a turn signal normally by pressing the switch in the same direction as you would to turn it on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
192 Posts
Digi said:
Exactly. The issue is that the manual cancellation is not self evident, and is different from any other car. A normal person would not be able to cancel the signal if it remains on without reading the manual. No one cancels a turn signal normally by pressing the switch in the same direction as you would to turn it on.
You can cancel by pressing the switch in both directions :hihi:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,248 Posts
Ian from TopGear drive the new M5 - prefer M5 E39.

I found these scans while surfing on internet.




He seem to prefer the old M5 E39, the problem is he dont like SMG in the new M5.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
249 Posts
Re: Ian from TopGear drive the new M5 - prefer M5 E39.

Wow, this is the first bad review of the M5 that I've ever read. :sad1: Im worried now... I wonder if the SMG is truely very jerky and slow.. or is it that he is over exaggerating as he was spoiled with a manual gearbox... I hope I find the shifting fast... like the Guillardo or the 360 Modena... when in sport mode...
Has anyone else driven either of the two AND the new M5?? I'd like a comparison.. which is the fastest of the 2?? Ferrari/Lambo OR the M5?? Then I will know whether or not to be worried...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
520 Posts
Re: Ian from TopGear drive the new M5 - prefer M5 E39.

Reading the article it occurs to me he just flat out prefers manuals to SMG's - and probably would in any brand. There are some who will never be satisfied with the automation of the SMG, no matter how good they are. Bear in mind too that he OWNS an E39 and can't help but justify it, even if subconsciously.

I haven't driven an M5, but I own a Gallardo e-gear and they do take a little learning. In particular, the point he makes about lifting a little on changes is true in the Lambo too. If he had the car for a week or a month, you might get a different story.

I wouldn't worry. More people have raved about the SMG than canned it. I wouldn't go back to a manual after driving a good sequential.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,396 Posts
Re: Ian from TopGear drive the new M5 - prefer M5 E39.

Thanks for sharing. SMG in the M5 cant be bad...It has to be like NUMBER 1!!!! Hes just a die hard manual fan like others who hasnt learned how SMG really works so hes bashing it.
 
1 - 20 of 51 Posts
Top