BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Are you serious? The car breaks traction like a champ with S6...how would that work with a system that is there to eliminate spinning and loosing traction?

The S5 setting is fast enough anyway, even S4 shifts faster then any normal person could.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Yes, I am serious

Are you serious? The car breaks traction like a champ with S6...how would that work with a system that is there to eliminate spinning and loosing traction?

The S5 setting is fast enough anyway, even S4 shifts faster then any normal person could.
Anything less than S6 is too slow for me when the rpm is under 5K and there's no way I can drive the car above 5000 rpm all the time.
My car only breaks traction when I want it to so I think that is controllable by the driver. I'd like to have DSC or MDM on for unforeseen events like hitting a patch of wet leaves, sand, oil on the road, etc.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I agree with 335, but understand why you can't have S6 with traction control.

On a related note, I wish there was 2 settings for M button. One to immediately change the default settings right when you get in the car to the real daily driving settings (P500S, S5, MDM), and another to go in full attack mode (P500S, DSC Off, S-6).

I think the easiest way I've found to do this is set my M button to the full attack mode setting, then I when I start car I hit both M button and then DSC button to turn it back on/back to S5. This quickly brings to me back to daily driving settings. If I need to go back to attack mode while I'm driving, I hit M button twice (off and on).

Any better ways to do this?

Reactions: potassium

·
Registered
472 Posts

On a related note, I wish there was 2 settings for M button. One to immediately change the default settings right when you get in the car to the real daily driving settings (P500S, S5, MDM), and another to go in full attack mode (P500S, DSC Off, S-6).

I think the easiest way I've found to do this is set my M button to the full attack mode setting, then I when I start car I hit both M button and then DSC button to turn it back on/back to S5. This quickly brings to me back to daily driving settings. If I need to go back to attack mode while I'm driving, I hit M button twice (off and on).

"full attack mode"...I like this phrase! Exactly how the car was meant to be driven:M5thumbs:

·
Registered
31 Posts

I prefer EDC on comfort and active seats off for daily driving, so I hit the trans switch twice to go to S5 and the power button for P500, also reserving the M button for full attack. Works for me, 3 quick button pushes.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
When I get in the car I crank it up to S5 and turn power on. M button is set to P500S, MDM, S5 (all other stuff in sport). From M mode I can tap DSC off and up the gear shift speed one more (2 button pressed) to unlock S6.

I like it this was as you can't be caught off guard in S6 (which can be pretty bad). I like the "secondary unlock" that requires you to hit the DSC off button.

As for no traction control in S6, as was stated the car just breaks traction too much. I've had MDM cut power plenty of times even in S5 for 1-2 and 2-3 shifts.

I think what 335xi really wants is just faster shift speed at lower RPMs. I suggest you look into the ESS SMG tune.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
That's exactly what I want

When I get in the car I crank it up to S5 and turn power on. M button is set to P500S, MDM, S5 (all other stuff in sport). From M mode I can tap DSC off and up the gear shift speed one more (2 button pressed) to unlock S6.

I like it this was as you can't be caught off guard in S6 (which can be pretty bad). I like the "secondary unlock" that requires you to hit the DSC off button.

As for no traction control in S6, as was stated the car just breaks traction too much. I've had MDM cut power plenty of times even in S5 for 1-2 and 2-3 shifts.

I think what 335xi really wants is just faster shift speed at lower RPMs. I suggest you look into the ESS SMG tune.
Car should have just come with S6. The rest feel like a granny is shifting.

p.s. I'd be all over the SMG tune if I didn't have to send in the tranny control unit. If they make it upload using the OBD port I'll be all over it.

·
Registered
568 Posts
The car should have S4 for grannies, S6 for quiet driving one or two days a month when I'm tired, and S8 for all other days...
I'd go for the ESS SMG tune, but I've read and heard many things that make me hesitate, plus very few people have gone for it and reported.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
The car should have S4 for grannies, S6 for quiet driving one or two days a month when I'm tired, and S8 for all other days...
I'd go for the ESS SMG tune, but I've read and heard many things that make me hesitate, plus very few people have gone for it and reported.

"..heard many things"? Wanna back it up with some facts please?

·
Registered
568 Posts
"..heard many things"? Wanna back it up with some facts please?
Well, no, I don't have facts, just things I heared, maybe true, maybe not. Difficult to know, which is also why I'd like to read more experiences from people who have tried that tune, to get a better idea. Especially would like if they have tried with Euro M5s, as I am not sure the SMG software is the same here as in the US.
Do you have some personal experience with that ESS tune?

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Well, no, I don't have facts, just things I heared, maybe true, maybe not. Difficult to know, which is also why I'd like to read more experiences from people who have tried that tune, to get a better idea. Especially would like if they have tried with Euro M5s, as I am not sure the SMG software is the same here as in the US.
Do you have some personal experience with that ESS tune?

No, but I was thinking of doing that tune this spring though, that´s why I asked if it is something you know personally about the tune.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Anything less than S6 is too slow for me when the rpm is under 5K and there's no way I can drive the car above 5000 rpm all the time.
My car only breaks traction when I want it to so I think that is controllable by the driver. I'd like to have DSC or MDM on for unforeseen events like hitting a patch of wet leaves, sand, oil on the road, etc.
So let me ask you something. Do you drive your M Coupe and slam it in all it the gears if you shift it around 3k (avg shift point for the S52 around town for most people)? I doubt you would do that so why would you want your SMG on your M5 to slam all of its gears below 5k? I see no point to this.

The reason why BMW built variable shift speeds based on engine RPM is to avoid unnecessary wear on the tranny and clutch when the absolute fastest shift speed is not required. Why you would go against that is beyond me b/c I don't know many manual stick shift drivers that go around slamming their gears all the time. If they do, they are probably idiots. :dunno:

·
Registered
568 Posts
So let me ask you something. Do you drive your M Coupe and slam it in all it the gears if you shift it around 3k (avg shift point for the S52 around town for most people)? I doubt you would do that so why would you want your SMG on your M5 to slam all of its gears below 5k? I see no point to this.

The reason why BMW built variable shift speeds based on engine RPM is to avoid unnecessary wear on the tranny and clutch when the absolute fastest shift speed is not required. Why you would go against that is beyond me b/c I don't know many manual stick shift drivers that go around slamming their gears all the time. If they do, they are probably idiots. :dunno:
Then I am an idiot.
But with 6 SMG settings to choose from, I would have thought BMW could have taken care of everybody's tastes, even the idiots' one.:grrrr:

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Then I am an idiot.
But with 6 SMG settings to choose from, I would have thought BMW could have taken care of everybody's tastes, even the idiots' one.:grrrr:
hahahaha. perhaps you misunderstood what I said. Just b/c you are in S6 doesn't mean each gear shift is performed at the 65ms rate. That only happens after 6k rpms. Before that speed the gears are shifted at variable speeds depending on your engine rpm. what the OP is asking is why doesn't the SMG allow him to shift at that max 65ms speed all the time, even when he's not redlining the car.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Well maybe we do not need a stupidly violent 65 or 80 ms shift all the time. But at part throttle 4 or 5K rpm, even in S6, the real shift speed is rather something like 2 seconds. 150 or 200ms would be perfect for me ;) Or maybe I am just a bit too young and in around 40 years the M5 SMG will be perfect for me. Or maybe not even ;)

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I agree with CoolCat (idiots need to stick together). I think 200ms is about right. I did shift as fast as I could in my M Coupe. Only time I let the clutch slip was on take off.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts