1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
It's really gorgeous - an Aston for 911 money lovelove

·
Registered
791 Posts
I agree! That AM V8 (and DB9) are both stunning looking vehicles. FYI, The current Motor Trend has an article about the AM V8.

BTW, any word yet on official pricing for the AM V8? Thanks.
Cheers,
Kevmmm

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Kevmmm said:
I agree! That AM V8 (and DB9) are both stunning looking vehicles. FYI, The current Motor Trend has an article about the AM V8.

BTW, any word yet on official pricing for the AM V8? Thanks.
Cheers,
Kevmmm
The price I got from an Aston saleswoman was base price of $90,000 and change. However, note that this price estimate is 7 months old, so YMMV.

·
Registered
518 Posts
eh...the new Aston are o.k. They are becoming too mass market and they don't cost $500,000 which would keep them more exclusive. The V-8-powered Aston Martin uses a Jaguar 4.3 V-8 with dry-sump lubrication. It should have wet-sump lubrication.

What am I saying? The new Astons are AWESOME! Just read this article from last year about Aston Martin. The new BMW M6 looks even uglier when compared to that beautiful Aston.

http://autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=100485

·
Registered
881 Posts
Jaguar said:
Yup - it looks beautiful and by all accounts it drives well. But it is not a real Aston.
Jaguar,
I am surprised by your disdain for current Jaguars; Astons; etc. that are a part of the Ford group. I owned a '98 XJR and was very impressed by the car; trouble free and very well made. I now own a '03 Range Rover, once again an excellent vehicle. I'd say to you that IF Ford had not purchased Jag, Aston and Land Rover, there is a very good chance that none of them would have survived to produce any cars at all!! Ford's deep pockets have allowed these companies to exist and certainly in the case of Aston, thrive. Jag may have lost its way somewhat, but primarily because the product is not adventurous enough.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Hi

In most quantitative criteria (ie build quality), the PAG cars have got a lot better.

But to me, these cars have always been special, as if they are apart from other cars. They were so full of character you could forgive them anything. I feel that this has been lost from current Jags, Astons and Land Rovers. They will sell well though, as most people do not buy cars by the criteria I use!

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Jaguar said:
Yup - it looks beautiful and by all accounts it drives well. But it is not a real Aston.
Then it's really interesting that all the Brit Journalists consider the DB9 to be the best Aston ever.
What is the basis for your comment?

·
Registered
139 Posts
The DB9 is the best "car" that Aston have ever produces. However, I feel that it is missing some of the wonderful quirkiness that previous non PAG cars had - for example, the integrated Connolly leather covered jar in the Prince of Wales spec Vantages to store sugar cubes for your polo ponies.

By the way - that's ome car collection you have. I love the G55!

·
Registered
881 Posts
Jaguar said:
The DB9 is the best "car" that Aston have ever produces. However, I feel that it is missing some of the wonderful quirkiness that previous non PAG cars had - for example, the integrated Connolly leather covered jar in the Prince of Wales spec Vantages to store sugar cubes for your polo ponies.

I'm afraid that it is God-awful 'quirkiness', (i.e. extremely poor reliability in the past), that came close to dooming most of these manufacturers. While I can somewhat understand your longing for some of the 'qualities' these brands had, I for one am thankful that they still exist to be enjoyed by a new generation of enthusiasts who love them for what they offer today.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Jaguar said:

I've never understood why poor build quality and laughable reliability are considered 'points of character' and 'lovable quirks' in 'exotic' cars, but are faults on normal cars.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Gop-Dogg said:
I've never understood why poor build quality and laughable reliability are considered 'points of character' and 'lovable quirks' in 'exotic' cars, but are faults on normal cars.
I agree.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Jaguar said:
Hi

In most quantitative criteria (ie build quality), the PAG cars have got a lot better.

But to me, these cars have always been special, as if they are apart from other cars. They were so full of character you could forgive them anything. I feel that this has been lost from current Jags, Astons and Land Rovers. They will sell well though, as most people do not buy cars by the criteria I use!
So you could forgive a 97-00 XK for a broken timing chain tensioner?

I mean, I love it when my Land Rover breaks down. It gives it character.

:confused:

·
Registered
518 Posts
Jaguar said:

Does an "integrated Connolly leather covered jar in the Prince of Wales spec Vantages to store sugar cubes for your polo poines" make an Aston Martin an Aston Martin?

Who cares about sugar cubes?? An Aston Martin is for driving.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts