Flush the fluids:
Brake
Power Steering
Coolant
Transmission
Diff

Spark Plugs
Air & Fuel Filter

Is there anything else I should be doing? Car just crossed 70K, I replaced all of the above (except spark plugs - those were done at 38K miles ) in 2014.

·
Registered
286 Posts
- Brake fluid: Every 1-2 years
- Engine coolant: Every 2 years (50/50 mix of BMW anti-freeze + distilled water)
- Engine oil/filter: Every 7,500 miles (Castrol TWS Motorsport 10W-60)
- Engine air filter: Inspect every 15,000 miles, replace every 15,000-30,000
- Cabin air filter: Inspect every 15,000 miles, replace every 15,000-30,000
- Power steering fluid: every 30,000 miles (Pentosin CHF 11.S)
- Transmission oil (SMG & 6MT): every 30,000 miles (MTF-LT-2 or Red Line MTL)
..........(Note: This does not refer to the hydraulic fluid for the SMG pump, which is the same as the power steering fluid - CHF 11S)
- Differential oil: every 30,000 miles (Castrol SAF-XJ or Red Line 75W-140)
- Spark plugs: every 30,000-60,000 miles (stick with OEM but Amazon has them cheap)
- Fuel filter: every 60,000 miles
- Engine drive belts: every 60,000 miles
- O2 sensors: 150k miles (or just wait for it to trip a CEL)
- Water/fuel hoses: 150k miles
- Rod bearings: As early as 50k miles (see here)

·
Registered
911 Posts
MAFS is due at this mileage

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nothing else on the SMG beside the regular transmission fluid? Any changes for the hydraulic fluid?

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
You could go a bit further and replace the smg pump motor and clutch solenoid orings. No need to pull the trans, but the rear needs to be lowered.

Motor brushes get stuck in their holder and they are unable to make contact anymore. Found this to be the culprit of my random red cogs. Brush wear isn't bad at 80k, in fact I'm considering reinstalling my motor after fixing the brushes and selling the brand new one I have...

·
Registered
73 Posts
You could go a bit further and replace the smg pump motor and clutch solenoid orings. No need to pull the trans, but the rear needs to be lowered.

Motor brushes get stuck in their holder and they are unable to make contact anymore. Found this to be the culprit of my random red cogs. Brush wear isn't bad at 80k, in fact I'm considering reinstalling my motor after fixing the brushes and selling the brand new one I have...
Did you successfully re-use your old motor? I'm considering the same.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Did you successfully re-use your old motor? I'm considering the same.
I would've, except I bought one in 2017 when I learned they were in eternal backorder. I didn't know how they failed either. Now that I've seen how they fail I'd have zero issues using my old motor after fixing the brushes.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How?

Oh it lets you know when it wants new mafs.
Is it driveable when it wants them? This thread is about preventive maintenance....BTW, I also did the rod bearings at around 60K, glad I did as they were showing copper.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Is it driveable when it wants them? This thread is about preventive maintenance....BTW, I also did the rod bearings at around 60K, glad I did as they were showing copper.
It goes into limp mode but it's still drivable. Get the Bosch they're oem but 120 each as opposed to whatever stupid price BMW charges. I wouldn't replace preemptively though.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So, should I flush the SMG fluid with CHF-11 or is that going to cause me issues? What is the verdict?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
8 Participants
335xi
BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
M5Board is the best forum community for information on the BMW M5 E60 (V-10), E39 (V-8), E34 (straight 6), E28, F90 and F10. Discuss performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing