BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I am looking to buy a UK M5 E39, I have a few questions, I know you wont like this but I need to tow my jet ski evey other weekend so i need a tow bar, I obviously dont want the thing hanging out the back all the time so do you know if :
a) a M5 can physically have a towbar?
b) is there a removable one on the market?

I have read about the MAF sensor test but is there any other little tricks I should do when looking at a vehicle in the flesh?

Lastly is there a way of roughly tell if it has all the power it should?? ( like the time a good'en should get from "20mph-rev limiter" in 2nd gear)

·
Super Moderator
10,462 Posts
use the search feature and look for "trailer hitch" as i know a US board member who uses the name louv who has installed the factory hitch (aka towbar) on his M5.
Mike

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
No problems that I know towing a trailer; here is member louv's M5:

Do a search for 'towbar' or 'trailer' and you should find plenty of info.

:cheers:

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,977 Posts

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,977 Posts
Ashok Arora said:
No problems that I know towing a trailer; here is member louv's M5:

Do a search for 'towbar' or 'trailer' and you should find plenty of info.

:cheers:
That is just so very chic! And cute too...

Cheers!

David

·
Registered
992 Posts
Another pic!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
mossy said:
Hi,
I am looking to buy a UK M5 E39, I have a few questions, I know you wont like this but I need to tow my jet ski evey other weekend so i need a tow bar, I obviously dont want the thing hanging out the back all the time so do you know if :
a) a M5 can physically have a towbar?
b) is there a removable one on the market?
You can buy a removable towbar from BMW. But be aware, it's expensive. I ordered one for mine too, it was 1000€, without installation :confused3 It includes a diffusor for the rear bumper, with a part that can easily be removed to attach the towbar. The diffusor should also be painted.

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
marcducati said:
You have got to be kidding..... Do you think that that would hold together behind an M5 :1:
..depends if the tyres on the trailer are Z rated :hihi:

·
Registered
531 Posts
marcducati said:
Maybe the ferrari red wheels help... ;)
There is the picture where the cart had been upgraded by the "M" sport division.:1: That was the best!!

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
SCORPIO said:
Another pic!
I genuinely prefer louv's 50 year old Beverly Hillbillies trailer.....it's a real humorous accent piece. I am jealous.

A whitewall snow tire on one wheel and a bald blackwall summer tread on the other would really complete the effect. Hopefully the tail lights do NOT match & the license plate swings in the wind.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Now he definitely needs Stoptechs...with the Red caliper to match the Ferrari red wheels of his rear load... :M5rev:

If AutoWeek get's a hold of this photo, it is certainly worthy material for their last 'classy-eyed' page...

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hi There

When I bought my M5 I needed a tow bar....couldn't find an aftermarket one that was removeable (all the aftermarket are fixed and you have to hack a hole in the bumper.)

Ended up getting BMW UK to fit one....if I remember it was about £800....there's a detachable panel in the rear bumper which you think will fall off, but hasn't over the last 2 1/2 years.....you take off the panel and plug in a very heavy towball into a socket, turn the little red detachable key on the towball, and away you go....used to tow a 600kg westfield on a 400kg trailer....and you barely notice the extra meight....the M5 is a fantastic tow car.

I'm in the peak district and heathrow most weeks if you'd like to check it out

Cheers

Guy

1 - 19 of 19 Posts