BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

Registered
IB DinanS2++ e60m5 6MT, Dogleg s38b38 e28m5 TT/ST3, e30 TT/ST4
With the swap you keep your car that you know is sorted and doesn't have the negatives (title/paint) you mentioned, the only unknown is a new (used) transmission you'd be swapping in. You could in theory use that swap time to install new clutch etc. with the 6MT so that it will give you thousands of miles of happiness once installed. Should you ever decide to get out of the E60 your unbranded title car would have you in a better spot.
^This 100%.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Yes the branded title is the reason it has not sold and the price is in range. My main concern is that it is some king of hack rebuild with jumper wires and missing parts. My family is in auto repair so I can see the obvious stuff but once shields are in place (BMW's have lots of them) it can be hard to see. The only reason I'm considering it is that I am a mature E60 M5 owner and like my E38 I will always own one until I die or can't drive.

The cost is one side but not owning, maintaining and insuring another car is the other. If it were not frosted paint I would jump on it, really don't like the look. On another note as I continue to improve my car for the track stripping parts is on the list. Doing that to a branded car would not be so egregious.

Thanks for the input.

Registered
On another note as I continue to improve my car for the track stripping parts is on the list. Doing that to a branded car would not be so egregious.
Well, that makes much more sense.

Premium Member
2008 E60 M5 Dinan S2+
Reactions: specialized2010

Premium Member
2008 E60 M5 Dinan S2+
I'm going to drop this bomb and head to work and let it fester! I love my car and have done a ton of work to it but I really want a manual. I could buy an e60 M5 manual and sell my car(they are not fast movers). I could buy an E39 or E32 M5, I know there are some guys here that have had both. I could but a E36 or E46 M3, don't really want a 3 series because they are just not built as well. 335i, my son and nephews would love for me to get a car with a turbo. CTSV, not a big caddy fan but these are pretty bad ***. I have considered other brands but the fit, finish and value of a BMW is unmatched. This would be my 10th BMW and I am a wrench so I don't really care about records or mileage.
Keep the M5 and add a manual track car to your stable.

Dude...so I owned a 2006 CTS-V with the LS6. Fit and finish was crap, but it was actually super reliable and SCARY FAST with just a few upgrades. I did eventually drop in a Lingenfelter LS7 crate motor and almost killed myself, but before that... on the LS6, cams, valves, rods and springs, LT headers and exhaust....and whew! And to boot, that generation CTS-V are super cheap. The stock Brembos 4piston front and rear were awesome, just upgrade the lines and get aggressive track pads.

For the nay sayers, yes yes, I get it. I left the world of American iron and find myself an owner of 2 BMW M cars. There's a reason for it...duh! LOL

But what I do know about @Alan Arnesen - he wrenches on his own cars and he goes to the track often. So it sounds like he needs something fast, cheap, easy to work on.....and the 1st generation CTS-V is a great platform that checks all his boxes. Sure it was a 1st gen CTS-V, but the engine and drivetrain are all parts bin from the Vette - so you know it's good.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I have looked at CTS-V's from time to time. I have seen them at the track and they are legit fast sedans.

So having many cars is one problem, 7cars and 2 boats. Keeping them all running myself is another. So how many boxes can I check with each one? I bought the SMG with the thought that my wife would drive it and she will not touch it. When I first got it I hated it, it was scary to drive, the SMG takes some figuring out and I always worried about a $5,000 repair. Now that I am a better driver and more comfortable with the problems I love the car. I'm sure we can all agree that the 5L V10 at 8000rpm can't be replaced.

There is someone out there that wants a manual with a branded title that needs a clutch. There is also someone who wants there dream car well sorted because they have money but do not wrench. I have the money sitting under my mattress doing nothing because I just have not had any expensive repairs, yet?

As for a dedicated track car the Pro3 class looks tempting. An E30 spec car that usually has a field of ten or more cars. That of course adds a trailer and a truck to the fleet. The safety gear alone will set you back $5k for good stuff. The LS class has a smaller field and with 500+hp I would most likely have a weight penalty. I could just drive to the track switch to slicks and go. Also my Daughter will be gone to collage in the fall but my son has a job now and will be wanting a car if he ever stops plating video games.

My wife basically wants to read a book in the warm sun.

It's nice to get some feedback from like minded people to keep me grounded. In the end if I got the car and it crashed into a wall or burned to the ground I would just go get another one. As I age and my early investing pays off I have to spend my money on something. There is a additional car in my future the only question is which one?

Registered
For the right price I am.. and will jump into a F80 M3 6mt real quick 馃ぃ馃ぃ馃ぃ. But as we know, we cant always sell for what we want so there's that. So I will keep it for now and keep battling those damn ZL1's with it at the track 馃榿. Looking at Falken RT660's next. Might even consider square track only wheel setup.

20210416_083044.jpg

Registered
It's nice to get some feedback from like minded people to keep me grounded.
Well, there's your problem. The lunatics are running the asylum. By definition, you're a lunatic for running an e60 (or e38) at the track.

I will say, getting into ANY Spec class is another slippery slope. But...the best part of Spec racing, there is always an active market for used Spec race car. It's almost always cheaper to buy a car built to Spec versus building a car to a Spec.

If your wife wants to read a book in the warm sun, get an RV to tow your track car. She can read and you can speed!

I usually rent an RV, that way I don't have to worry about storage/parking/maintenance.

Registered
21 - 36 of 36 Posts