BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to drop this bomb and head to work and let it fester! I love my car and have done a ton of work to it but I really want a manual. I could buy an e60 M5 manual and sell my car(they are not fast movers). I could buy an E39 or E32 M5, I know there are some guys here that have had both. I could but a E36 or E46 M3, don't really want a 3 series because they are just not built as well. 335i, my son and nephews would love for me to get a car with a turbo. CTSV, not a big caddy fan but these are pretty bad ***. I have considered other brands but the fit, finish and value of a BMW is unmatched. This would be my 10th BMW and I am a wrench so I don't really care about records or mileage.

·
Registered
IB DinanS2++ e60m5 6MT, Dogleg s38b38 e28m5 TT/ST3, e30 TT/ST4
6,596 Posts
Do it! A 6MT is timeless classic and has aged very well — like a mechanical Swiss timepiece, with an in house movement. Technology has moved way past a 6MT, but has not made a 6MT out of date.

The only afterthought from the bean counters was not offering a 3.91 with the 6MT. And I know you’re not afraid of installing a 3.91.

I mean really...the SMG was born with “F1 tech” and of the same vintage of the first iPhone. I upgraded my iPhone a bunch of times for better tech, but haven’t given up any of my vintage Swiss timepieces. 😉

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So that is along the lines of what I'm leaning towards. I can get a manual that is an 07 with 87kmiles, RB done for an ask of $18k. It has a branded title and frosted paint, both are detractors. Then I could sell my car and recover some of the expense. That way I don't add another car that I have to maintain, insure and drive. I already have four cars that are just for recreation.
Swapping in a manual is tempting and if my SMG were to take a dump that would be my route. The hard part is that I have a driver and when it comes to projects you can loose focus when you can't drive the car, my AMX sat for almost 30 years. As this will be mostly a track car, so I won't get jailed, I don't think the branding is a big deal. It will not be a trophy car.
One of the frustrating parts of these cars is that most if not all of the work is just maintenance. A different car would have more performance adds to throw money at an enjoy. Maybe I will start acquiring parts for a swap and see what happens?

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
You will regret dropping a 107 hp on e39 or a 180 hp in case of 3 series

a swap would be the way to go since then you can use the m3 6sp trans that allows Fitting an oil cooler.
A stock e60 m5 6sp is lucky to go 30 minutes till the transmission over heat warning at the pace you are running

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Those are some good tips, being used to the V10 something less may not satisfy my needs. Did not think about the oil cooler but that is a good point for track duty.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I'd think if your SMG takes a dump it's easier to fix it honestly. But that doesn't get you shifting cogs if that's what your're after (which I do get). Also think the oil cooler is a good idea. Why not go with an M3 or a worked over 335?

·
Registered
IB DinanS2++ e60m5 6MT, Dogleg s38b38 e28m5 TT/ST3, e30 TT/ST4
6,596 Posts
Your mileage may vary, but I’ve never had my 6MT transmission hit limp mode running track days in a normal session in the desert West. Granted, if I’m lapping at open track days, the e60 is not what I’m running for any extended stints.

If you want reliability at the track, drop down to an e30/e36/e46. I can run my e30 at 10/10s for a full 2 hour stint, swap drivers, and do it again for 15 hours, without any problems.

If you want to have fun at the track, yeah dropping 100+hp sucks tracking out on the straights. But, I can tell you, the e60 scares me at the end of the straights. 🤣😂🤣 even with sticky rubber and lighter brakes the MASS is hard to hide.

With all of that said, I love making a 4door do things that should not be possible!

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
E46M is way more capable track car than E60M. Fact.

Reactions: lat77

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
I'm going to drop this bomb and head to work and let it fester! I love my car and have done a ton of work to it but I really want a manual. I could buy an e60 M5 manual and sell my car(they are not fast movers). I could buy an E39 or E32 M5, I know there are some guys here that have had both. I could but a E36 or E46 M3, don't really want a 3 series because they are just not built as well. 335i, my son and nephews would love for me to get a car with a turbo. CTSV, not a big caddy fan but these are pretty bad ***. I have considered other brands but the fit, finish and value of a BMW is unmatched. This would be my 10th BMW and I am a wrench so I don't really care about records or mileage.
Since the SMG is indeed a manual gearbox without a clutch pedal why not keep your car, if you've already sorted the SMG system, and drive in manual mode 100% of the time? That is what I do.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You could take out the center console shift knob and I would never know. The only time my car is driven in auto is when my wife drives which is never. My 750, Lightening and AMX are auto, just looking for something different. It is to engage more with the car, too that effect the older the better. An E36 Euro spec which can now be imported is 330hp I believe which is pretty darn good for such a small car. A Z3 coupe would also be a good candidate.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well this issue may be resolved? I have been looking at 335's, E46 M3's and finally E34 535's. There has been a local manual for sale for awhile, similar mileage, good maintenance and mods. It has a branded title and frosted paint. The owner is firm on the price and does not want to trade with cash on top.

He now says it needs a clutch and is willing to drop the price without the clutch done.

So here is my plan, buy his car and sell mine to recover some of the funds. The downside is that E60 M5's don't sell fast. Mine is well maintained but everyone knows how I use it. I get a manual for about the same cost as a conversion without all of the work. The big downer is I know how and what has been done on my car and no Indy in the land covers the details like a good owner. Thoughts?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Mine is an SMG so not sure if the best to offer an opinion since I like shifting with the paddles but here goes. The car is a toy rebranded title probably isn't as big of an issue. But it already needs work (clutch) that you know of so its going to be down for work, albeit in theory less time than a swap, that's not to say that once you get it you aren't going to find a host of other issues that require more down time than a swap.

With the swap you keep your car that you know is sorted and doesn't have the negatives (title/paint) you mentioned, the only unknown is a new (used) transmission you'd be swapping in. You could in theory use that swap time to install new clutch etc. with the 6MT so that it will give you thousands of miles of happiness once installed. Should you ever decide to get out of the E60 your unbranded title car would have you in a better spot.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts