BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry to do it here, but I am an E39 M5 driver...and this is the only site I know that Americans are on too....so;

Anybody any experience with a Dodge Journey? Its comming to the netherlands in the summer.

I am looking for a follower (next car) for my current Renault Grand Scenic (its french).

Thanx

·
Registered
7,933 Posts
Get a 911 GT2.

·
Registered
375 Posts
A couple things with Dodge in general are that 1) it will depreciate faster than the laws of physics normally allow for and 2) they are about as poorly put together as you can get. Nothing but sub-standard materials, assembly and shoddy design, imo.

If you are able, check out a new Mazda or Volvo. These are far better in almost every conceivable way and should be around the same prices.

Eric

·
Super Moderator
4,849 Posts
I don't have any experience with any Dodge. I love the Acura MDX. However, at the size/price range of the Dodge, I would stretch for an Acura RDX.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
My brother in Law works at a Dodge dealer, he now drives a Toyota.:dunno:
You will hear "Factory Spec!" everytime you go to the dealer.

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
hold on a sec, is there a similar model in the us? because i have not heard of that model...
It's a cross between the dodge nitro and the chrysler pacifica.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Dodge does not have a good rep here is the USA. Their motors last maybe a 100K miles before blowing. It was Chrysler/ Dodge that invented the check engine light and the Minivan. Not really my cup of tea, But then I own mostly BMWs, although I do have a Benz... but again that won't help you much does it.

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
Sorry to do it here, but I am an E39 M5 driver...and this is the only site I know that Americans are on too....so;

Anybody any experience with a Dodge Journey? Its comming to the netherlands in the summer.

I am looking for a follower (next car) for my current Renault Grand Scenic (its french).

Thanx
Dodge (Chrysler) have arguably the best designers of the Big 3 automakers, but they're quality is also the lowest. Before anyone gets all snippety about American brands in general, btw, 3 of the top 5 spots are owned by American brands, and all are ranked above BMW...

Anyway, the Journey is not offered here in the states, which means the above reliability statistics may not apply. In my experience, quality ratings are very dependent on the market in which you are selling (different markets value different things).

Good luck!

d-

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
Dodge (Chrysler) have arguably the best designers of the Big 3 automakers...
I agree. I really really wanted a magnum....until I got inside one. Same for the Charger. Plaaaaaaastic! The cabin wasn't a nice place to be.

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
I agree. I really really wanted a magnum....until I got inside one. Same for the Charger. Plaaaaaaastic! The cabin wasn't a nice place to be.
A good point. Don't confuse design with implementation - designers request specific materials, but usually don't get them unless the vehicle can command enough revenue. If it can't, then the engineering/mfg folks put in what they can afford, which in a small car like a Magnum is typically plastic, which means customers pay less, so they use cheap materials and the vicious cycle continues.

Ford is just starting to "get it" - check out the interiors of some of their new products and you'll see that they are taking the hit on profits with the hope of charging higher prices later to make it up...

If you wanted the best of all worlds you would take the designers from Chrysler, the product development process from Ford, manufacturing from GM, and the discipline and marketing from Toyota.

Sorry this is so OT...

d-

·
Registered
988 Posts
The 3.5 DOHC engine has been around for a number of years. Its fairly decent, although there are no "tweaks: available, and it isn't tuned to anywhere near the level of most of the cars you read about here..I think the term is "pedestrian"...fit and finish are so so...

·
Registered
12,890 Posts
Anyway, the Journey is not offered here in the states,
Good luck!

d-
Hmm, thought I just read a story on it in Autoweek. And it was for U.S. consumption. I will take a look tonight. Looked like a cross between a van and a truck, but no sliding doors in the rear on each side.

No arguement about the rest, quality is NOT Job 1 (pilfered slogan intended:1:)
Regards,
Jerry

1 - 20 of 41 Posts