BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From Gunmetal to Copper. I really wanted my wheels to pop a bit more as I felt their dark finish didn't do them credit. This styling exercise is a departure from my norm but since I chose to use PlastiDip everything is completely reversible. I will keep the wheels this way for a bit, not sure about the side mirrors.

Anyway, Plasti-Dip has some awesome finishes available now, much more than "flat black." If applied properly I think it looks great, if it doesn't...
... just take it off.

Evan

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
The actually look really good in contrast with the white. What wheels are they?

·
Registered
581 Posts
The car itself looks great. I was in Europe this summer ans I'd have to say that the E60 wagon was the most popular wagon on the highways. I'm now trying to convince my wife that we need one. She's anti-wagon at the moment. Anyway, the wheels look great as well considering that they're plasti-dipped. I'm normally not a huge fan of really bright wheels, but the are dark enough to pull it off.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Looks nice Evan ... plastidip is actually pretty interesting thing to mess around with .... maybe I need to change up my rim color ... lol

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I'm now trying to convince my wife that we need one. She's anti-wagon at the moment.

Good luck! I've been trying to convince mine for a year now. She ain't giving up the big SUV. Sadly I will probably have to give up my e39 if I ever want a wagon. With all these e61 threads popping up now I might just do it sooner than later.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
422 Posts
Great job, it came out really nice!

·
Registered
3,033 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The actually look really good in contrast with the white. What wheels are they?
Forgestar F14 SDC

I'm not a big fan of plastidip but I have to admit they look good. Nice color against the white

I wasn't either until I 1) used it and experienced how awesome the product is and B) got familiar with application techniques.
How do you clean brake pads dust on plastidip?
Power washing is probably the most common technique.

Looks nice Evan ... plastidip is actually pretty interesting thing to mess around with .... maybe I need to change up my rim color ... lol
It is. This bridges the gap between photoshop and paint jobs.

Great job, it came out really nice!
Thanks, application isn't perfect (which I hate) but all things considered I am happy with it for a 1st time go-around.

Nice, Evan! I like it. Really pops!

Thanks Randy, seeing your wheels last weekend solidified my interest in a metallic wheel finish. :cheers:

Evan

Reactions: randywei

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Power washing is probably the most common technique.
But does it not peel all the pastidip from the rim?

No it does not, I can confirm this as I just got back from the self-service car wash.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Nice! I'm digging the color contrast Evan. I also *heart* plastidip. How many coats was this? I'm going to dip the wheels on my truck once my new tires come in.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
BMW Wagon

The car itself looks great. I was in Europe this summer ans I'd have to say that the E60 wagon was the most popular wagon on the highways. I'm now trying to convince my wife that we need one. She's anti-wagon at the moment. Anyway, the wheels look great as well considering that they're plasti-dipped. I'm normally not a huge fan of really bright wheels, but the are dark enough to pull it off.
My Ex and I had an e46 325xi wagon, i loved that little car...It was amazing how much cargo that thing could eat...We brought a wash machine home in it once.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The gold gives the car so much more personality =) Looks good Evan. Did you originally intend on spraying the lowers of your mirrors or was it just a spur of the moment decision?

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The gold gives the car so much more personality =) Looks good Evan. Did you originally intend on spraying the lowers of your mirrors or was it just a spur of the moment decision?
Sorry for the delay. The mirrors were premeditated, I was looking for a way to tie the color into the car better. It never really grew on me so they were removed ...along with the Dip on the wheels, I think since I went crazy with the metalizer and applied to many coats when it dried the Dip lifted from the outer edges and looked like curb rash. So it is all off now, short lived but fun.

Next is WHITE!

Evan

1 - 20 of 23 Posts