BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I think that I finally found my new/used ///M3. It's a 1995 US version Alpine white/black with about 60,000 miles. From appearance and the first drive it's in perfect condition. I'm taking it into my mechanic this morning for a full once-over. Besides the usual wear and tear stuff is there anything that I should specifically ask him to look at? I have all of the service records, and know about some of the major problem areas like the subframe mounts, radiator, water pump, etc... Is there anything else that I should look out for? I'm also planning to have a leakdown test done... just in case...

Alpine white wasn't my first choice (in fact I usually don't like white cars), but the more that I looked at the car, the more I liked it. Please tell me that I'm not making a mistake!

·
Registered
648 Posts
I think I posted this before, but I just got a 1995 M3 with 43,000 miles and I still love it. It seems like it could use a bit more power, but if you really push it, it takes off. My cat is starting to go, so you might want to take a look at that. Have fun and post some pics. :)

Ted
'95 M3
ex 1988 M5

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks like this is the one... I'll pick it up sometime next week.

M5Ted, thanks for the pointer on the cat. The cat on this car seems OK, but I'm sure that I'll melt it soon:biggrin:

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
apart from the engine, things to check are as per a normal 328i or so. as long as it has been serviced as it needs and when it should, it shouild be OK.
You don't want oil leaks at all around the engine, as this is an engine out repair, so major $$$ if this is the case.
Have fun.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Andy G said:
apart from the engine, things to check are as per a normal 328i or so. as long as it has been serviced as it needs and when it should, it shouild be OK.
You don't want oil leaks at all around the engine, as this is an engine out repair, so major $$$ if this is the case.
Have fun.
This one apparently has a VERY minor oil leak at the valve cover gasket. The mechanic made a point to say that it's so minor that he doesn't even recommend adressing it now. I would assume that you could do the valve cover with the engine in. Is that not the case?

-Andrew

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
that would be OK, The oil leak's I was originally talking about were in the depths of the engine, i.e. from the head below, as it is terribly tight in that area to do any repairs whilst the engine is in situ.
I must admit, I have not seen a white M3, when you get it, any chance of sending me some pics of it please?
Is it the Coupe or the Saloon (sedan?)
AG

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
3 Participants
Andy G
BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
M5Board is the best forum community for information on the BMW M5 E60 (V-10), E39 (V-8), E34 (straight 6), E28, F90 and F10. Discuss performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing