BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

161 - 175 of 175 Posts

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Call me stubborn

I am convinced if I had bought a 2006 m5 new with no test miles on odometer it would now have over 200,000 miles with only minor issues.

I think I get that from my uncle a retired bmw mechanic back in Germany

he would know how to make cars run so well that owners would gift him $500 bottles of Spätlese

That is back in the day bmw’s maintained over 130 mph on the Autobahn due to much less traffic

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Last I checked you don't have any data to prove the above statement (nor anybody else).
Correct
Just experience from owning many cars over my lifetime that may or may not be applied to m5.

However I did buy a 157,000 mile m5 with very detailed mantence records Showing between 4000 to 5000 mile oil changes on new motor 50000 miles ago

No varnish when looking through oil cap no oil being burned regardless of track abuse.

In another 100,000 miles I will gladly compare results with those doing 13,000 mile oil changes

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I don't buy it. If that were the case, all of their engines would show similar failure rates. Unless you think only M5 and M3 owners get a little lazy on oil changes.

They just didn't adequately test the product. If those first 700 miles were going to set something up for failure, it'd manifest very quickly. Not at 50k miles.
I believe bmw did. test adequately.
You can prove me wrong if you show me one m5 driven 12,000 miles a year that failed inside of the warranty period.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #164
I don't buy it. If that were the case, all of their engines would show similar failure rates. Unless you think only M5 and M3 owners get a little lazy on oil changes.

They just didn't adequately test the product. If those first 700 miles were going to set something up for failure, it'd manifest very quickly. Not at 50k miles.
If anything, I'd say M5 owners are the enthusiast type and take care of the cars way better than the 3-series types which is is really the camry of the luxury world. The 3 is what gets leased the most (well until the advent of the X3 it was).
I know I babied my car, It did not have an oil change past 6-7K. It had all the fluids changed on schedule and it also had a bunch of preventative parts changes. How was that any help when an injector decides to hydrolock?

·
Registered
350 Posts
I believe bmw did. test adequately.
You can prove me wrong if you show me one m5 driven 12,000 miles a year that failed inside of the warranty period.
Why are your standards so low on a $100k car? Especially when you're already going above and beyond the recommended maintenance schedule. No car should throw bearings at 200k miles, let alone 48k. With BMW, only the M motors do, with the S85 being the worst of them in that regard.

If anything, I'd say M5 owners are the enthusiast type and take care of the cars way better than the 3-series types which is is really the camry of the luxury world. The 3 is what gets leased the most (well until the advent of the X3 it was).
I know I babied my car, It did not have an oil change past 6-7K. It had all the fluids changed on schedule and it also had a bunch of preventative parts changes. How was that any help when an injector decides to hydrolock?
Agreed. The issue is poor design and inadequate testing, not maintenance. Excessive maintenance might help mitigate some of the issue, but it shouldn't be required in the first place.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Sorry OP, I forgot all about you , I drifted off topic I just wanted to defend that the s85 is worthwhile to own.

I will start my own tHread , my point in all my post is if one is not the first owner one cannot be sure how it was taken care of.

Besides oil maintenance where one chooses to gas up is just as important and consequential

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
It is obvious my expectations are different

To me the s85 is a race motor and needs to be treated as such

I bought a car that can go multiple 50 minute high speed track sessions without issue while others go into limp mode after 15 minutes (c7z06) or less than one lap as Car&Driver found out in a twin turbo bmw.

I know what I got and it is special

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #168

I bought a car that can go multiple 50 minute high speed track sessions without issue while others go into limp mode after 15 minutes (c7z06) or less than one lap as Car&Driver found out in a twin turbo bmw.

Well, 1st 2 offers to buy it out were $2K, $3250, waiting on one more.

·
Registered
350 Posts

You bought a 4000 lb luxury car to track it?

·
Registered
121 Posts
I may complain about bmw quality of design, but there is no way that the tight tolerances and quality controls systems they employ would allow a golden engine.

I know that theory gets floated many times to rationalize observations that seem unexplainable.

It is simple the first 700 miles on new car are most consequential followed by the next 3000 miles.

That is what determines if you have a golden engine.

BMW does not care what you do , the s85 was designed to statistically just meet warranty requirements even if owner does not care to properly maintain any type of mechanical equipment (like my past neighbor who never changes his oil on his lawn mower, just buys a new one every 3 years, while my $60 B&G lasted over 20 years)
Hello ticat928,

I respect where ideology, and it is true that maintenance is everything to long life. Going off-subject here but wanted to add some comments as I as SO bored right now....and it relates to lawn and garden.

In my youth, I mowed lawns. At peak, junior in H.S. purchased NEW Echo GT-40 bent shaft trimmer and Toro Rear-bagger with Suzuki powered OHV, dual ball bearing, iron sleeve engine. They were EXPENSIVE!

30+ years later my dad still uses the Echo trimmer and the Toro rear-bagger will start in 1-pull (did do valve job 10 years ago).

Point is this is PREMIUM equipment, and was well taken care of....and yes I am completely OCD.

New lawn equipment is garbage unless going to commercial grade. All "throw away" as service too expensive. Now Briggs & Stratton has introduced a "life oil engine"......GRRRRR! see link below:

To O.P.: My apologies for diversion, just a good chance to bla-bla on cars vs lawn equipment and owner maintenance.

To all S85 enthusiast....THANK YOU for sharing your knowledge.....I know enough to know that I do NOT know everything!

Mr. P

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #175
not worried, those are all way to low based on your description
I was thinking $9,000 min less shipping or pick up expenses
Hey guys, anyone have any recommendations on a shipping company to ship car? Thanks

161 - 175 of 175 Posts