BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

121 - 140 of 175 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
That's part of the branch of the engine wiring harness. I think that goes to the idle actuators. I see this in my other 08s too. The plastic on the hard shell connectors are made of chocate. This is why I'm redoing all the insulation on my engine wire harness. This is from my project engine.

BTW the conduit is all made in germany by Schlemmer, BMW has mandates to make their cars more environmentally friendly so the plastic breaks down faster. That's great for selling more parts and cars, but we'd all be better off if that conduit was made in mexico or china...it wouldn't self destruct.
theres gotta be quality plastic covers out there that can last a lifetime under extreme heat. I doubt there is industrial/aero quality Stuff lasting less than a decade being used in airplanes and so on

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
My Brother’s 1985 Tercel which he recently sold, never garaged had amazing under hood rubber and wiring.
No cracking anywhere, one could pick any wire and make a 90 degree bend ; insulation still pliable
My 928 s4, always garaged i do not dare touch wiring or rubber fuel lines, a guy makes a replacement harness for $800

engine fires commonplace on 928

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #123 (Edited)
My Brother’s 1985 Tercel which he recently sold, never garaged had amazing under hood rubber and wiring.
No cracking anywhere, one could pick any wire and make a 90 degree bend ; insulation still pliable
My 928 s4, always garaged i do not dare touch wiring or rubber fuel lines, a guy makes a replacement harness for $800

engine fires commonplace on 928
Figures, german electronics suck. All the german cars I have ever had (VW, Audi, BMW, Mercedes) have had electric/electronic issues at some point.

p.s. Yes I am bitter

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Figures, german electronics suck. All the german cars I have ever had (VW, Audi, BMW) have had electric/electronic issues at some point.

p.s. Yes I am bitter
you forgot Mercedes!
I do not recall exact dates, but about 1995 to 2003 models would have one tail light out or dimmer than the other or flickering on a 4 to 6 year old car.

It is tough to know what unique or engaging cars one rely on.
Ordinary cars no problem ; Tundra and Subaru Legacy never an issue.

Had the #2 slot at my dealer for a c8 but I bailed during the UAW strike.

For me if one has trustworthy support the m5 is still worth it.

It is amazing there have been more Audi r8’s produced than e60 m5’s
keep em alive

·
Registered
121 Posts
Cant you guys get a new/used short block on ebay? They go for relatively cheap

Or is the labor involved in doing that not worth it?
Ebay very dangerous. That's how I got started with complete engines.

Have also noticed short blocks with scoring that cannot be honed.

Good luck!
Mr. P

Attachments

·
Registered
213 Posts
Ebay very dangerous. That's how I got started with complete engines.

Have also noticed short blocks with scoring that cannot be honed.

Good luck!
Mr. P
does scoring like this happen only on blown engines? Or during normal driving operation too without people knowing it happened?

·
Registered
121 Posts
This is a compete guess, but believe engine 1, cyl 10 could run without being noticed. engine 1 cyl 8 is catastrophic and would fail always!

Engine 2, cyl 9 was cold (not firing) for an extended (could be seconds or minutes) of time as noted by piston "steam clean" and valves (black on exhuast, clean on intake). This cylinder was cold.....NOT firing.

Still researching and would love to learn more!

Mr. P

·
Registered
66 Posts
So should I be getting ready to replace all my injectors as a PM? Or just stick to fuel filter for now? I am paranoid about this injector problem. My car is at 98k with original fuel filter. Replacing as soon as last part comes in.

·
Registered
415 Posts
So should I be getting ready to replace all my injectors as a PM? Or just stick to fuel filter for now? I am paranoid about this injector problem. My car is at 98k with original fuel filter. Replacing as soon as last part comes in.
I’m planning to check out this car in person this coming week since I’m only 1 hr away and get the injector tree and do an autopsy. I’m very concerned as well. Replacing injectors after doing the fuel filter is still good PM at that mileage. Injectors do start to have altered spray pattern over mileage like that. I mentioned already how you may be able to easily tell if you have the original filter.

Along with never leaving your SMG in P, I’d say if you ever do stall out, don’t leave the key on with engine off for more than 10 sec, and don’t keep cranking. I know that I would have done the same as OP.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #130
you forgot Mercedes!
I do not recall exact dates, but about 1995 to 2003 models would have one tail light out or dimmer than the other or flickering on a 4 to 6 year old car.

It is tough to know what unique or engaging cars one rely on.
Ordinary cars no problem ; Tundra and Subaru Legacy never an issue.

Had the #2 slot at my dealer for a c8 but I bailed during the UAW strike.

For me if one has trustworthy support the m5 is still worth it.

It is amazing there have been more Audi r8’s produced than e60 m5’s
keep em alive
I added Mercedes, I owned one of those as well

·
Registered
121 Posts
I’m planning to check out this car in person this coming week since I’m only 1 hr away and get the injector tree and do an autopsy. I’m very concerned as well. Replacing injectors after doing the fuel filter is still good PM at that mileage. Injectors do start to have altered spray pattern over mileage like that. I mentioned already how you may be able to easily tell if you have the original filter.

Along with never leaving your SMG in P, I’d say if you ever do stall out, don’t leave the key on with engine off for more than 10 sec, and don’t keep cranking. I know that I would have done the same as OP.
SAVE THIS CAR!

OP stated condition and service. MUST be saved!

V10...NEVER again.

Yes I like Tesla model S...FAST....but no MUSIC. No Soul.

Mr. P

·
Registered
121 Posts
I added Mercedes, I owned one of those as well
In fairness, Germany is one of the leading countries trying build a better future through recycling. In the automotive industry, we plan for end of vehicle life and recycling material for a better tomorrow.

Unfortunately, wiring was included and the savings to the environment is cancelled many times by problems for consumers and replacing parts.....grrrr!

Mr. P

·
Registered
350 Posts
In fairness, Germany is one of the leading countries trying build a better future through recycling. In the automotive industry, we plan for end of vehicle life and recycling material for a better tomorrow.

Unfortunately, wiring was included and the savings to the environment is cancelled many times by problems for consumers and replacing parts.....grrrr!

Mr. P
I'm sure switching from nuclear to coal did wonders for the environmnt.

·
Registered
121 Posts
does scoring like this happen only on blown engines? Or during normal driving operation too without people knowing it happened?
Hello Dmitry911,

I do not know. That is the big question, elephant in the room.

I believe all scored blocks are the result of some sort of over compression issue that bent the rod. The bent rod the damaged the bores. Looking at many blocks, the bore scaring starts along the crank axis (bent rod).

It is possible that due to the VERY over square bore of the S85, it is more susceptible to bending rods even without a full-on hydro lock. The combustion chamber is ~45.5cc Any volume of fluid over this amount is a guaranteed hydro-lock.

Nominal compression ratio is 12:1. If 10cc of fluid are allowed into the combustion chamber, that would bring the CR to 15.1:1....and that is TOO HIGH.

Going back to the over square design, I believe it would be easier to bend a rod vs a more conventional "square" design. I actually like the over-square for high revs and lower piston speeds, but it is possible this is the true Achilles Heel for a road car.

Welcome all comments and theories and learn.

Mr. P

·
Registered
121 Posts
ok I pulled the schematic. Based on what I see (it's been a year or two since I looked at one, and also new to how BMW lays these out).

Injectors open when DME grounds the circuit.

CAS enables 12+ so this supports my theory from the other day that this could be a wiring situation. This is why I asked about if and how long the car was in the KOEO state. (key on engine off). During KOEO the fuel pump will pressurize the fuel system to max, which we know is 6 bar (that is stated in ISTA and other BMW documentation)

DME is what supplies the ground, which energizes the coil and opens the pintle (allow it to squirt). If that wire is grounded any time the key is on, it will squirt fuel, not just dribble, full squirt under 6 bar (85 psi). If the key stays on, the fuel pump will stay on and keep pumping until the pressure transducer sees 6 bar. Simply put it will keep squirting full on. It will only take a few minutes for a fully open injector at 6 bar to fill up a 500 cc cylinder. In fact if we know the injector's max mass flow rate we can calculate that very simply. I can't look now but I think terraphatam already provided that valve.

Since P-Chi has also reported failures in his 2 engines that seem to be on bank 2, there may be a pinch point where some of these wires are grounding out on the S85, that is not seen on the S65 or other cars.

This would mean that PM on the fuel filter does NOTHING to prevent this failure mode. Replacing injectors may indirectly affect this issue simply because the wiring is distrurbed and potentially resolving the issue by a minor re-route or strain relief.
Injectors are "HOT", ground control via PCM/ECM. Normal for all vehicles.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Hello Dmitry911,

I do not know. That is the big question, elephant in the room.

I believe all scored blocks are the result of some sort of over compression issue that bent the rod. The bent rod the damaged the bores. Looking at many blocks, the bore scaring starts along the crank axis (bent rod).

It is possible that due to the VERY over square bore of the S85, it is more susceptible to bending rods even without a full-on hydro lock. The combustion chamber is ~45.5cc Any volume of fluid over this amount is a guaranteed hydro-lock.

Nominal compression ratio is 12:1. If 10cc of fluid are allowed into the combustion chamber, that would bring the CR to 15.1:1....and that is TOO HIGH.

Going back to the over square design, I believe it would be easier to bend a rod vs a more conventional "square" design. I actually like the over-square for high revs and lower piston speeds, but it is possible this is the true Achilles Heel for a road car.

Welcome all comments and theories and learn.

Mr. P
I cannot envision a rod bending along the crank axis since the bending moment due to rod angularity is much greater perpendicular to crank axis.
If indeed this is what is happening then I need to see a picture of bent rod as well as big end bearing shell which should show over pressure damage at the shell edge and /or friction heat damage at sides of rod big end, then I would have to consider a scenario where piston forces are off center in relation to rod due to binding as a result of insufficient rod side clearance.

Perhaps why piston-guided connecting rod methods are popular in race engines:

·
Registered
121 Posts
I cannot envision a rod bending along the crank axis since the bending moment due to rod angularity is much greater perpendicular to crank axis.
If indeed this is what is happening then I need to see a picture of bent rod as well as big end bearing shell which should show over pressure damage at the shell edge and /or friction heat damage at sides of rod big end, then I would have to consider a scenario where piston forces are off center in relation to rod due to binding as a result of insufficient rod side clearance.

Perhaps why piston-guided connecting rod methods are popular in race engines:

Hello ticat928,

I am also confused. Would expect wear on bore along thrust angle to piston/bore.

See pics, they do not lie. Thrust angle designed to take load by rods. WIDE bore does not offer much axial support....think leverage in axial direction. Much higher with larger bore.

Only attaching engine 1 bore 10 for this comment and a few bent rod pics.

Mr. P

Attachments

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #138
Has anyone tried carbrain.com ? They say they buy cars with blown engines. I just submitted mine, waiting for quote.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Hello ticat928,

I am also confused. Would expect wear on bore along thrust angle to piston/bore.

See pics, they do not lie. Thrust angle designed to take load by rods. WIDE bore does not offer much axial support....think leverage in axial direction. Much higher with larger bore.

Only attaching engine 1 bore 10 for this comment and a few bent rod pics.

Mr. P

That is amazing
I would expect marks on top of the pistons from dropped valves.

If no marks, then BMW is using rods as marginal as in the f10

I had a hunch back in 2014 best to go with an uprated rotating assembly based on stretched and bent rods that Troy was observing.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #140 (Edited)
p.s. Confirmed bent rod on cylinder #10 as well. I did not ask for that to be performed, my mechanic did it on his own. I am going to go over today to talk in person as I am getting some conflicting information. Now, he doesn't think the valves are bent anymore and the scoring is only at the top but he thinks that's from him trying to find TDC. That leaves so many questions open, like how did fuel and oil mix? Why was there tons of blue smoke coming out of the exhaust? Why was there a loud clank when the car seized? What clanked?

121 - 140 of 175 Posts