BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so their is a winning sound when driving, I have noo idea what it is contributed too. The clutch acts funny, so I'm thinkin i'll swap out the clutch. But now! The car is driving really really funny. Like it feels like the body is not in tune with the frame, especially the rear of the car. Also, when I step on it, the right rear tire sounds like the tire is scrappign against the wheel well, but no noticeable wear on the tire. Is this the shock?? I don't know, and am getting very frusterated! Someone please help! :byebye:

·
Registered
86 Posts
Ruffinit, I had a similar thing happen to me on my 750 iL, my mechanic said it was a broken half shaft. I traded it for 740 the next week.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys for the reply, but how would I go about looking to see if this is the problem? Should I just take it to a mechanic?? Thanks again! And happy new years!

·
Registered
784 Posts
Ruffinit said:
Thanks guys for the reply, but how would I go about looking to see if this is the problem? Should I just take it to a mechanic?? Thanks again! And happy new years!
Certainly I would recomend that it be looked at however I do not think it is time to put her down. The subframe concern mentioned is extremly rare, however there are other simple items such as sway bar mounts, a CV joint, etc. that can contribute to the sensation.

As I said, I would have her looked at but I would remain relaxed. I feel certain you and your gal will be just fine. She just needs a bit of TLC...... as for the clutch.......if you have not done so you should consider the UUC option over a OEM replacement. It is a very nice improvement over OEM and will afford you the opportinuty for even more spirited driving.

Take care.

Shadowman

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I took the car in today to a shop here, but they had no idea, so it has another appointment tomorrow, I hope they can figure it out. i do not want to go back to the dealership, because I have a weird feeling they like to fix one thing and mess up somethign else...keep you guys posted!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Nidan said:
Ruffinit, I had a similar thing happen to me on my 750 iL, my mechanic said it was a broken half shaft. I traded it for 740 the next week.
I broke a halfshaft on my cobra.
sumbitch didn't go more then 25 feet after that happened.
i doubt that was your problem.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well i've had it looked at. Before getting into the details of the half shaft and subframe, a screw is getting loose in the rear right, its the control arm or a arm has a screw which holds it in place,and this screw is working its way out and now has to be fixed. Their saying it will be very expensive...i dont know how true this may be. I'm going to try to load pictures so someoen can give me some advice! But I dont' know how much this is going to cost to get fixed. Has anyone even heard of this happening?? and why would this happen?!

·
Registered
936 Posts
you may also get your drive shaft inspected. My car felt usual so i had it investigated. The grease was leaking from the joints on the drive shaft, which caused the shaft to get out of balance. This utlimately caused the car to "wobble" in the rear.

I have no idea about the wining noise. Is this also coming from the rear?

Ruffinit said:
Well i've had it looked at. Before getting into the details of the half shaft and subframe, a screw is getting loose in the rear right, its the control arm or a arm has a screw which holds it in place,and this screw is working its way out and now has to be fixed. Their saying it will be very expensive...i dont know how true this may be. I'm going to try to load pictures so someoen can give me some advice! But I dont' know how much this is going to cost to get fixed. Has anyone even heard of this happening?? and why would this happen?!

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yea its definitely wobbling in the rear, kinda scary. I'll definitely get that stuff checked too. How much did those repairs set you back?

·
Registered
48 Posts
those winning noises is what i heard as well and its the sub frame for sure

i thought it was a whel bearing but had it checked out a few months ago and they said the car was fine

sunday was a bad day i put the car into reverse and boom

help roadside assist

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Fabulous...my cars out of warranty, so this is coming straight from the pocket.

dinan..i read your other post, 2-3g's! That's such BS, especially if its supposed to be under warranty. If BMW voids it due to the dinan mod, doesn't dinan cover it?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Stevus...I think you hit it on the money. one of the screws, the front one, was coming out, well basically it was out. But, on its way out it basically made the hole quite a bit larger than the screw, so that was what the sound was. And the looseness of the wheel and body is contributed to that part of the subframe detaching i suppose. SO I had a mechanic somehow put the screw back in. But, since the hole is a lot larger now, it is prone to come out again. now this hole in the wall mechanic, who is still good, told me to somehow weld two plates on each side of the hole, and then put the screw in there and weld it in. Now, how smart is this to do?? Should I just get that part replaced, which would be the subframe basically?? What to do now?! I'm going to try to post some pictures later tonight.

Does the subframe have a 100k warranty??

dinan...hows your car coming?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts