BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everything else is PERFECT about this 02 M5. Right miles, priced right, right docs, no issues!! But I have never seen or even heard of the color "silverstone" does anyone have any close-up pictures of the car or know where I can find one? I did a google search and just came up with a bunch of cars racing at Silverstone. :) I can't believe this is so "right" of a deal, I just hope I can live with the color!

·
Registered
13,638 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: I THINK I FOUND HER!

I'm going to look at this evening, taking half a day off of work to go look at it. But I think it's baby blue. And even though I dig the "understated" value of the M5 (as my boy Breeno puts it) I don't think I can drive a baby blue car. But I'm going into it with an open mind. Caution is key, but I will stay open minded. I once bought a yellow Corvette and couldn't sell it for almost 2 years after I wanted to barf every time I saw it collecting dust in the garage..

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Okay so- this car changes color, depending on the light. In some pictures it is flat silver, in some it is baby blue. In one, it appears WHITE. (could be just a bad photo)

So does the car change colors like those bouncy-bounce cars or is it more of a refracted light kind of illusion?

·
Registered
312 Posts

Lex_traitor said:
So does the car change colors like those bouncy-bounce cars or is it more of a refracted light kind of illusion?
More like the latter. I've seen a silverstone M5 (parked on the street - yikes!). I didn't realize what color it was until after the fact. I quite liked it.

·
Registered
234 Posts

Lex_traitor said:
Okay so- this car changes color, depending on the light. In some pictures it is flat silver, in some it is baby blue. In one, it appears WHITE. (could be just a bad photo)

About 5 years ago I was in the same exact situation as you, except at that time there was at least a 2 year wait for a new E39 M5. I found a BMW dealer that had a 01 M5 Silverstone brand new and the they were about 10 hour drive from were I live. They email me several pictures and the car looks silver in some pictures and light blue in others. I originally wanted either a Black M5 or Silver, and Silverstone was the very last color on my list.

Well, I ended up buying the 01 Silverstone, and I can tell you from my personal experience, this color looks very unique to the M5 and now Ive owned the car for a little over 4 years I love this color. It is very easy to maintain and I constantly get complements on the color choice, Ive even had people with other BMW's stop and ask me what color the car is and how much they liked it. I would take the Silverstone over any of my other color choices prior. Again depending on the day, if its very bright out side it looks more sliver with a hint of light blue while in the evening or over cast day it looks more light blue...But in no way dose it "change colors like those bouncy-bounce cars" this is a very classy color....Jay.S :M5eyes:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

I dunno- I have to stay open minded but every picture I've seen so far is not at all to my liking. Except the one blurry titanium/silver hued picture. I don't like it, at least on my 22" monitor.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Anybody want to play the pricing game?

Low Mileage 2001 M5 in outstanding condition. Always Gargaged with Black Leather, Wood accent interiors. Features: GPS, M-Stereo, Heated Seats, Xenon Headlights, 6 disc CD, etc. Only factory feature missing is parking distance control. Tires new with ~4K miles, road hazard insurance on tires. One Minor stratch on hood, difficult to see. Entire service history. No issues with this vehicule, need to replace due to family considerations and young driver.

32,000 miles

So anybody wanna play the Price is Right?

Closest to the price I get the car for (if I buy it) gets $20 paypal'd to their account!

:)

·
Registered
21 Posts

Lex,

I saw that M5 in the Statesman today too. I'm looking myself, but I'm holding out for black and silver. If you're gonna spend the money get what you want. There aren't many in Texas that are good deals, think I'll have to look nationwide. Where in Lakeway do you live, I grew up in Lakeway, but live in town now.

·
Registered
694 Posts

Well, you can compare Silverstone to MY 2002 Carbon Black. Carbon Black actually does change colors from Metallic Dark Blue, when in the sun to Black when in a shodow or cloudy weather...

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

ACH! erase that email otherwise everybody will be able to win the guessing game!!! :D Just Kidding- it's all in good fun. The car has a market value- what I'm willing to pay for it. Or, rather, $1 more than someone else is willing to pay for it, so it doesn't matter!

I live on the lake- Challenger Street (right next to all the richy-rich houses)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

The colors I like, in order:
#1 Carbon Black
#1 alternate imola red
#2 Anthracite
#3 Titanium Silver
#4 Lemans Blue
#5 Avus blue
#6-#12 everything else
chiaretto and oxford- no go.
This color...

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
didn't find her...

Well I went and drove it. Actually, didn't need to drive it just wanted to make sure the car was tight all around, owner drove it. I find that I can actually pay much closer attention to the car if I'm not driving it, with exception of things like steering wheel shakes, warped rotors and suspension damage... And I couldn't look the guy in his face and tell him I wanted to buy it.

Silverstone color? Well, to each his own. But I won't be owning this one. Too bad, everything else about the deal is spot-on. If it was almost ANY other color I'd be a new owner... That is baby blue and there is nothing anybody can do to convince me otherwise. If anyone is looking for a good deal on a silverstone, trust me, this is it. I have a good feel on the pulse of the market, and I can assure you if this color is for you, you will NOT find a better all around deal. If interested, email me I'll send you his contact info.

·
Registered
516 Posts

I have an 02 silverstone. The dealer told me "baby blue". That is a terrible description of the color.

I really didn't like it at first but the price was agreeable. It is now my favorite color. It has really grown on me and I also get compliments on the color.

If you can pick it up for 36-37, I'd say go for it.

R

1 - 20 of 80 Posts