BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How can I be held legally responsible for speeding if I can't even see the spedo while I drive!

As I responsible citizen I wan't to cure this!
Is tehre a way to make current speed show on teh NAV or the Infor Panel or somehere other than jsut the dial?

Also, I would like to always see teh map and my location / progress on my NAV screen. The only way I have figured our how to do this is by entering a destination? I don't want directions, just a confirmation that I am on the planet and alive!

Any suggestions for these 2 dire problems would be appreciated.

Yes, I am a brand new owner of a 2002 Silver / Black 28K CPO and Maint thru 12/07 Beast.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
wdwgdas said:
How can I be held legally responsible for speeding if I can't even see the spedo while I drive!

Is tehre a way to make current speed show on teh NAV or the Infor Panel or somehere other than jsut the dial?

Also, I would like to always see teh map and my location / progress on my NAV screen.

Any suggestions for these 2 dire problems would be appreciated.

Yes, I am a brand new owner of a 2002 Silver / Black 28K CPO and Maint thru 12/07 Beast.
The first suggestion is to learn to spell.. :1: :1: Just kidding. Enjoy the new beast, the humor on this board and don't take some of us too seriously. hiha

·
Registered
373 Posts
RTFM, or in other words:
You can get a map showing that you have landed on this planet and where you are. Depending on the version of your software you may have to scroll to "page 2" of selectable menues. There is a label that says something like "map". I don't have English as the selected language so I can't give you the exact word.
Regarding the visibility of the speedo, try to adjust the steering wheel. It can be adjusted in 4 different directions. If that does not help get a "Head-up display". I have seen HUD's that can be retrofitted, but I can't remember the name of it.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
wdwgdas said:
Nice try, but I don't think the police will buy this argument! :D

I assume you've tried adjusting the steering wheel and seats. How tall are you? What is blocking the speedo?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am 6'5" and I can adjust to see but am very uncomfortable.

I was hopeful that I could cause current speed to be shown on on of the may optional display panels.

·
Registered
842 Posts
wdwgdas said:
I am 6'5" and I can adjust to see but am very uncomfortable.

I was hopeful that I could cause current speed to be shown on on of the may optional display panels.
Welcome to the board wdwgdas. I believe there is a way to do this but it's rather technical, if I remember correctly. You might try running a search with a few key words. I do remember reading a specific thread on how to make the nav system show current vehicle speed but it involved going through the system program into an area that vehicle owners typically don't utilize.

Would reading the vehicle speed by RPM work for you? Just a thought.

Derek

·
Registered
616 Posts
wdwgdas said:

YES !

Try Here.... http://www.bmtown.com/

Scroll down to near the bottom of the 5-series E39 page - and they have a HUD unit available... Thats Head Up display... to show you the curent speed etc.. it is very reasonably priced @ £160...

hope it helps....

Was!

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
1) Between seat height, seat back adjust, steering wheel adjustment up and down, I can't believe you can't find a comfortable position where you can see the speedo. I do find I have to bump the stering wheel adjustment once in a while to see the "brights" indicator at the top or something at the bottom.

2) In the nav screen, choose "information" and then scroll down. You don't need a destination entered. The problem is the choice you wan't doesn't show up on the screen - it is "below the window" until you scroll down past the last visible item. The choice is "vehicle location." You should then see the vehicle's location (in text), with "street map" on the screen - highlight than and click one more time. Bad da boom, ba da bing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts