BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my beast is almost ready for the 1200 mile service would like to start looking for a chip and intake options. U have been reading a ton n this board and it seems like everybody has differnt opions of course Dinan and ESS are tossed
around the most on this board.
1. Which chip??
2. Which Intake? and does doing a KN filter really do anything??
3.WHY AFTER THE M5 IS ALREADY THROUGH IT'S MID-LIFE CYCLE HASNT DINAN DONE AND INTAKE YET????????????????????:dunno::dunno::dunno::dunno::dunno::dunno:

·
Registered
464 Posts
1. Many like AA, RDsport, and ESS as of late
2. RPI scoops seem to be the general consensus
3. Gains don't justify the price in many people's minds

·
Registered
232 Posts
Dinan does have an intake, the CAI is in the recent videos Gustav had with Dinan. When it will be available for public purchase is another story.

It is however listed on their website, if you dig deep enough you can find the part number and cost ($2,500).

" Required Accessories:
Dinan High Flow Intake/Air Mass Meter Assemblies (Part # D760-0023)
Suggested Retail: $2500 "

It's a required part for their stroker motor, and who knows if it'll be available as a regular option in the future.

-F

·
Registered
539 Posts
I highly suggest going with ESS software and a K&N Drop in filter.

Do a search on the board for ESS and you will see the great things others have to say.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
This is as per my personal experience and not only with the M5.
IMO doing software alone is really of no substantive value or benefit.
ECU software mods should be done to compliment and enhance the function and benefit you get from other mods, ie. headers, exhaust, pulley, air-intakes and yes I guess even throttle bodies (hahaha).

I have found this to be very true with the 997 GT3 and other Porsches.

If you are not going to do other mods I believe the ECU software mod will not give you anything that you cau quantify or truly feel. Some say the car shifts smoother, maybe so.

Cheers, M5Ranger

·
Registered
539 Posts
This is as per my personal experience and not only with the M5.
IMO doing software alone is really of no substantive value or benefit.
ECU software mods should be done to compliment and enhance the function and benefit you get from other mods, ie. headers, exhaust, pulley, air-intakes and yes I guess even throttle bodies (hahaha).

I have found this to be very true with the 997 GT3 and other Porsches.

If you are not going to do other mods I believe the ECU software mod will not give you anything that you cau quantify or truly feel. Some say the car shifts smoother, maybe so.

Cheers, M5Ranger
This is absolutely not true. It is a difference you can quantify.

Sure the ECU comes into play when there are other modifications on the car which complement the tune, however, this does not mean that the ECU tune itself does not net a noticeable improvement in many areas. Another important thing to note is that cars that are not naturally aspirated achieve higher gains with performance parts/ECU.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Mike first I am not referring to turbo cars. If you see my sig I only own NA cars.
Other than delimiting the car what are the other gains that can be quantified with solely an ECU mod? I am one who has a very jaundice -eye about the hp gains claimed by tuners with ECU alone.
Other driving functions are claimed to have improved.
The function of the SMG and shifts points may improve.

I've done an ECU mod alone on my M5 and it was a waste of money and this was by a tuner I highly respect.

I want to learn. Please deliniate the quantifiable gains.
Good discussing this with you.

Thank you,
M5Ranger...Juan

·
Registered
539 Posts
Mike first I am not referring to turbo cars. If you see my sig I only own NA cars.
Other than delimiting the car what are the other gains that can be quantified with solely an ECU mod? I am one who has a very jaundice -eye about the hp gains claimed by tuners with ECU alone.
Other driving functions are claimed to have improved.
The function of the SMG and shifts points may improve.

I've done an ECU mod alone on my M5 and it was a waste of money and this was by a tuner I highly respect.

I want to learn. Please deliniate the quantifiable gains.
Good discussing this with you.

Thank you,
M5Ranger...Juan
Hi Juan, the quantifiable gains are a huge increase in low end torque, increase in high end power, increase in throttle response, crisper shifting, smoother engine operation, and automatic shifting at redline in auto mode. Our software contains a completely proprietary torque management system which really makes a world of difference on this car. I myself ran this software for about 6 months before the car was totaled :grrrrr:, and after driving a stock M5 the other day a lot was left to be desired.

I would do a search to see what others have to say about the software. The power gains alone are just the tip of what this software has to offer.

PS: What tuner did you try software from? Most tuners do not have the ability and knowledge to tune the car correctly, but we do.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
I would like to see dyno graphs and proof of the torque and rwhp gains.
In a NA motorsimple ECU mod will yield the results you stated regarding the engine and tranny manners and behavior changes. Agreed but true real / raw rwhp gains I have not seen.
The tuner I have dealt with and as I said respect a believe they know what they are doing is Active Autowerke. I think they are just a little bit capable, maybe you don't.
My ECU software stage II from Active is great. It is tuned to compliment and enhance engine function of my mods.
I do not want to talk about "butt-dyno" results described by individuals after simple ECU mod. To discuss this there needs to be documentation.

Many of the rwhp gains claimed really are the result from removing the charco. filters. This was discussed with the thread about the Dinan stage I software.

Cheers, M5Ranger...Juan

1 - 16 of 16 Posts