BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was over at my local Dealer today and was talking to my parts guy there. He is trying to talk me into getting a Dinan stroker. I spoke with one of the guys at Dinan a few min. ago and he was telling me how fast it was. There is a local car here that has had the motor done and I am waiting to go for a ride in it. My concern is that the new M5 will have twin turbos and all you will have to do is turn up the boost to make it faster..

any thoughts?

SW

·
Registered
244 Posts
Your assumption may very well be correct. It scares me thinking about putting any money into my current M5 if turbos are going to be in the future model. However, there is something to be said about a viscious NA motor pumping over 600 horses. I see why you are torn.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Wait for the next M. You know you're going to get it and you won't look back to this day and regret saying to yourself "Why did I waste all that money on the Stroker."

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
im sure youl be happy for the next couple of years

the new m5 isnt even close to being available.....

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
DO IT! Unless you dont want to be Street King anymore? You dont want to have anyone with a faster M5 do you? Lets see how it sounds....Street Prince....no, not really the same ring to it. :haha:

·
Registered
8,301 Posts
Hey, you have the $$$$ ??? 60K ? to spend on a 4,100 LB. car? Do It...keep the economy going.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey, you have the $$$$ ??? 60K ? to spend on a 4,100 LB. car? Do It...keep the economy going.
It's not 60k... more like $45-47k for everything.

This is my daily driver and I really like it. I am just trying to figure out if it's worth it or not. I spoke to [email protected] Dinan, nice guy, and I was asking him if they would still warranty my car with the Evosport pulley and headers. He said they would but they don't have the calibration for the ECU for a stroker motor and headers. In the same breath, he said Dinan was coming out with their own headers and then they would have the calibration..:dunno:

I know this car will never be as fast as some of my others, just always looking for more power. I know NOS would make it faster, but I want that power all the time. If I do go for this, you guys know that it will be definately on the dyno, drag strip, roll ons ect..

SW

·
Registered
8,301 Posts
Call them....with the add on mods needed to pull the FULL power out of the engine...and the ability to stop it they suggest all the stuff 60k..the engine ALONE without LABOR is 40K+40hrs [email protected] 100.00/hr=44k + the extras and Labor for them it's around 60K....big $$$$...........
. intake is extra, injectors extra, complete exhaust extra, programing extra.......I spoke with the engineers.....Call them you will see I don't post just to post for HIGH numbers of posts............By the way it's around.....5225 posts since 2006......oh who looking or counting ???

·
Registered
442 Posts
I have it on authority that there will be no change in the motor throughout the balance of the M5 model run. Then it will take another year or so to have the Euro-version of the new M5 released in the US.

Rick

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Call them....with the add on mods needed to pull the FULL power out of the engine...and the ability to stop it they suggest all the stuff 60k..the engine ALONE without LABOR is 40K+40hrs [email protected] 100.00/hr=44k + the extras and Labor for them it's around 60K....big $$$$...........
. intake is extra, injectors extra, complete exhaust extra, programing extra.......I spoke with the engineers.....Call them you will see I don't post just to post for HIGH numbers of posts............By the way it's around.....5225 posts since 2006......oh who looking or counting ???

Wow..

I talked to my Dealer, he will discount the motor, intake system and throttle bodies. Labor is 40hrs @ $100 per hour. I already have the exhaust and programming is included, but maybe you know more than I..

SW

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
The exhaust they list for the full power includes the midsection that is supposed to be coming out. Thought I would throw that in the circle.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Where is Ranger when we need him... oh yeah, I forgot... banned.

Wait for ASR's TT kit this fall. It will be a built motor with 1000WHP if you want it... and lots cheaper than Dinan.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Wow..

I talked to my Dealer, he will discount the motor, intake system and throttle bodies. Labor is 40hrs @ $100 per hour. I already have the exhaust and programming is included, but maybe you know more than I..

SW
Sent you a PM!
cherrsagai

·
Registered
204 Posts
SW, like we talked about earlier.....50% of the car's value gives you a $150K M5 with about ~125 more hp. In comparison, a car like M5Ranger is putting down ~225 more hp even though it's NOS the results on the road would be the same......more $$$ doesn't always buy the result you're looking for ;-)

·
Registered
513 Posts
I too thought about this about 3 weeks back.. It just didn't make sense to me. Not just because of my luck with Dinan - it just didn't make sense. I LOVE modding my beast an all, but I just could not have another episode of dropping a rear end load of cash and the the possibility of not seeing the gains posted. I opted last week to purchase the ASR Stage III upgrade - I get it the week of Aug 10th - going for:

Software
CAI - looks to be a very promising intake system
Exhaust from the headers back
NOS

Also - go software for my 08' 911 Carrera S from them -

I can't wait - at least I know this stuff is proven and I have seen Rangers car so its gotta be the golden mod. There is something about replacing and original BMW engine with another - not gonna do it... Besides modding the original is FUN!!!!

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
SW, like we talked about earlier.....50% of the car's value gives you a $150K M5 with about ~125 more hp. In comparison, a car like M5Ranger is putting down ~225 more hp even though it's NOS the results on the road would be the same......more $$$ doesn't always buy the result you're looking for ;-)
I know, the more I think about it, it's alot of money for 100-125 more flywheel hp. I spent 15k on my blk ZO6 and it makes 600+ rwh with the stock motor.. I'm going to call ASR in the morning and find out about their TT kit..

SW

1 - 20 of 76 Posts