BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I have been thinking about this for sometime, but I might be crazy! I sold my e36 M3 recently and got a decent amount for it. I have been considering selling my E39 M5 and with the combined amount of money I would have very substancial amount money to put down on a new car. So what would I buy for a new car, well I can't afford a new 2008 M5, but I would be able to finance a new E92 M3 and it would be affordable, and I would have a nice 4 year warrenty to go along with it. I have not driven the new one yet, so I am going to do that. Can you guys give me of your thoughts on this, right now its just a thought, I guess to me it would seem a bit more practical, but who knows. Please advise. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
It sounds as if the concept of a "new car" is more enticing to you than the concept of having an E39 M5.

What would your budget be?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I love my E39 as anyone would. However I am young, and though I have money set aside for repairs and such, it would be nice to have to not worry about such things. I would have around 48k to put down on a new car. I have in no way made up my mind on the issue, its just a thought, I have not driven the new M3 yet either, but if I got rid of my M5 it either another M5 or M3, but an E60 is still to much money for likes of me.

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
I'm younger than you with less money saved and the repairs are a small price to pay in order to drive such a car. Then again, I havent had that many repairs to do.

But i could suggest the 135i, then. Lots of torque, nimble, and very fun to drive. No 6-speed manual, though.

Now, if you must stay with an M, then you could get a used E60 for about the same price (if not a lot less) than a new M3. E60s have dropped in price a hell of a lot.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Before you even think about selling it, go and test drive the other cars. After you drive them, you might not want them at all.

In the end however, it is your money and your life and only you can make the decision on what to do(unless you are married).

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No, I'm single, but my girlfriend thinks I should just stay put!! Will see I am going to test one out tomorrow (manual) near chicago. I'll let you know how she goes. Thanks for the all the feedback, I appreciate it.

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
She wants you to stay put and use the money for a down payment on a house after you tie the knot! ITS A TRAP!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Haha, you sound like all my friends, yeah thinks there is no need to drive such a "fancy" car in the first place. She just bought that new VW Tiguan so I said maybe I should by a new car to. Ahhh will see, I will let you know tomorrow how the drive of new M3 goes.

·
Registered
12,896 Posts
Well, I love my E39 as anyone would. However I am young, and though I have money set aside for repairs and such, it would be nice to have to not worry about such things. I would have around 48k to put down on a new car. I have in no way made up my mind on the issue, its just a thought, I have not driven the new M3 yet either, but if I got rid of my M5 it either another M5 or M3, but an E60 is still to much money for likes of me.

Are you having repair issues with the M5? A new car is no guarantee of a repair free car, although most will be covered by the warranty. There were a fair amount of issues with the early E60's for example (this is not to say there will be any issues with the M3).

Is it the desire to drive the new M3? Candidly, it doesn't sound like it. Sounds like more of an itch for something new. That's ok, just helps put in perspective how to help you!:cheers:

Best advice was drive the new M3 before you do anything else. And I may catch some flak, but I say drive the 335i also. It is about 100 horsepower and about $15k apart. For about $2k, you can take the 335 to 380 hp, a 35 hp shortfall. Now I am NOT saying the 335 is an M car, but drive both. I think you will like the torque of the 335i after driving the E39. And since you are at the dealership, the salesman will be glad to oblige you!!

Report back and let us know your driving impressions.cherrsagai
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the feedback, I have not driven a 335i, and I will do that. It's just the way an M car feels ya know. I think the new M3 is a bit of harsh price, at least considered to the E46, but I will let you all know how the drive goes tomorrow. Great feedback.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Your dilemma classically illustrates why the E39 M5 is so great. For the price of your M5 and M3 you will be able to drive a newer car, but it may not end up being that much of a step up. Our cars really represent a lot of value - you get a lot for the money with a used M5.

When you spend those thousands of dollars more, you might not get thousands of dollars worth of improved driving experience. It is hard to improve by big leaps and bounds on such a nearly perfect car!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Representing some of the younger owners out there. I just turned 25, bought a used E39 M5. Drove the 335i - it's quick, no doubt, but no M. Not even close. Can't speak to the E92 M3. I think the E39 is a real classic... The other members are right, you get tons of value with it. It's a luxury muscle car. I've driven the E60 M5 as well. V10 power is great and it's probably got as much computing power as a NASA supercomputer, but in my opinion, it didn't have much spirit. Didn't care for the new interior styling, either. Understand the itch for something new but make sure it's for the right reasons. The price jump from E39 to E92 is steep, but you already know that.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, more and more you are all confirming what I already can feel, but regardless I will take it for a drive. I am having a real hard time letting my E36 M3 go, so I doubt I could do it with the 5 at least for now. Thanks.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Alright, so I drove the new M3 today. It was fully, fully loaded white coupe. I believe like 71K, wow have the prices on these cars gone up. The sales rep was really nice, I went out alone and had the car for about 20 minutes. I guess I had some special idea in my head about what I was going to experience. The car was tight, super nimble and just all around racer, but however I was really dissapointed in the torque, I was looking for comparison to our V8, but the lack of torque was just so noticable. I know its a completely different car and engine, and its more based off the V10 in the current M5, by the way the M3 was a manual. So my experience was good, but just not as good as I thought it was going to be. And the price is just way to much for such a small car. So I then got the key to 2008 M5 which was also manual, and drove that, it was great, however again am I crazy to say that it just didn't feel like it was crazy fast in the low end. I know its so much faster than our E39 M5's but the lack of torque again just hit me. I guess I am just used the torque in the V8. Needless to say, after driving both, I was quite happy to step back in to my E39, with a new found respect for the balanced V8 in it. So bottom line, some day when i do get a new car, it will be an E60, just a used one as I can not fathom paying 95k for a car. And P.S. if I had a track near by I would buy the new M3 in a heart beat such an improvement over the E46, maybe a little bit flashy though. Well I just wanted to give a little write up the test drives.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Did you not give the 335 a try?

·
Registered
377 Posts
No, I can't sway my self away from being in an M car, but I taken a ride in a friends 335i very nice car.
I understand that feeling, but the 335 might be the only car BMW has with the torque to make it feel like an e39. Besides, it is an excuse to test drive another car.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah just going for a ride in one, I can already see a torque comparison, I will test one, but dont' see my self getting one. I will no doubt keep my E39, its to bad that the E60 didn't completely win me over, I thought it would. I guess thats a good thing for now.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts