BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one know of the prices and details now days for the Hellas? My lenses are toast. Also I’m not to familiar with the differences? Are there xenon and halogen? I want what’s on the car now just with a new fresh lense, my low beams look like 6k projectors? Any knowledge, prices or info new/used in mint condition would be helpful! I see the halogens for around 370 per light I can’t seem to find the xenon clear corners

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Pre or post LCI?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Step 1 is to determine car build date, then whether halgoen or Xenon. Go to Bimmerforums (link follows) and contact the people at Umnitza. They have Xenon product and can give you pricing. They can probably advise you on what you have now. If you just need lenses, look for DJ Auto. Depending on build date, lens replacement can be easy or difficult. No affiliation.

E39 Euro lenses and lights

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tha
Step 1 is to determine car build date, then whether halgoen or Xenon. Go to Bimmerforums (link follows) and contact the people at Umnitza. They have Xenon product and can give you pricing. They can probably advise you on what you have now. If you just need lenses, look for DJ Auto. Depending on build date, lens replacement can be easy or difficult. No affiliation.

E39 Euro lenses and lights
thank you

·
Registered
52 Posts
What do you mean by your lens are toast?? The clear plastic is not clear anymore? If so, it's easily repairable!

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
In order to get your lenses clear, you need to sand past the haze and pits. It can take a lot of time but the net results are crystal clear lenses. Dont use the cheap kits that have a small piece of sandpaper and polish, you will need to spend time using multiple grits, working your way up to fine then finishing it with polish and sealant.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
yes, dont waste money buying new lights. you can save the ones you have if its only issues with the lens from pitting and haze.

ive refinished tons of headlights to 99.9% brand new condition. but it takes a lot of physical work + time.

wet sand using multiple grits i go from like 600 all the way up to 2500 grit.

then compound, then polish & buff then i spray on a UV clearcoat to lock it all in.

In order to get your lenses clear, you need to sand past the haze and pits. It can take a lot of time but the net results are crystal clear lenses. Dont use the cheap kits that have a small piece of sandpaper and polish, you will need to spend time using multiple grits, working your way up to fine then finishing it with polish and sealant.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Yes i

The lenses are shot I tried the wet sand process they’re just hazy pitted and UV damaged
I've used the chemical guys light restorer. The best one so far. Mines were bad, and they came out new. I've tried cheap kits with disappointing results.

The chemical guys stuff needs to be applied with a polisher or a drill with a compound pad. So less that 100$ investment for everything... Cheaper than news lights, and you can restore many other afterwards!

·
Registered
183 Posts
I've got a pretty nice set of used factory headlights from an '01. I'd let them go for $375 plus shipping from New York.

·
Registered
183 Posts
They’re in NYC. Are you planning to go to attack of the racks at classic car club this Saturday in Manhattan? I can bring them with me. Pics I can take tonight.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
They’re in NYC. Are you planning to go to attack of the racks at classic car club this Saturday in Manhattan? I can bring them with me. Pics I can take tonight.
I’m working tomorrow but I’m in Manhattan everyday with the truck. post pics please and are they post facelift?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
They look pretty clean man! I would like to confirm that all the lights work somehow lol. Thank you for taking those pics much appreciated are the adjusters still good? And they are post FL right?

·
Registered
115 Posts
No problem with you buying new headlights. But I'd still say try to restore the old lenses. I used the Sylvania kit on the headlights of my mom's old Elantra. The key to them coming out good is to take your sweet time sanding. Then when it comes to putting on the UV coat. Put on one coat, then after 24 hours apply a second coat. Don't overdue it otherwise, it'll run like paint. Once that's done, wait a week (yes a week), then reinstall and have a clear film applied to them like Xpel. Trust me, it's worth it. Here are what the lights looked like from my mom's car. The pics don't do them justice.
20190814_211438.jpg
20190814_230019.jpg

Sent from Uranus with Love.

·
Vendor
2,296 Posts
Any one know of the prices and details now days for the Hellas? My lenses are toast. Also I’m not to familiar with the differences? Are there xenon and halogen? I want what’s on the car now just with a new fresh lense, my low beams look like 6k projectors? Any knowledge, prices or info new/used in mint condition would be helpful! I see the halogens for around 370 per light I can’t seem to find the xenon clear corners
We offer lenses for $179 - have 9 sets left, link was sent just below.

The prevailing consideration is 3 things:
1) You can polish your lenses usually 1 or 2 times before you take enough off that they require more frequent polishing. If you do it and don't want to keep doing it, we recommend some clear protective film. That way, every 2-3 years, you just buy another film and peel the old one off. We offer the film for the headlights for $39 shipped.

2) If you don't like the Amber and your headlights can be baked (October 2001 is possible or even likely to bake open).
Get new lenses for the "Euro" look and at the same time upgrade the projectors and the angel eyes (if that matters to you).

3) Buy factory fresh OE Hella Euro headlights.

yes, dont waste money buying new lights. you can save the ones you have if its only issues with the lens from pitting and haze.

ive refinished tons of headlights to 99.9% brand new condition. but it takes a lot of physical work + time.

wet sand using multiple grits i go from like 600 all the way up to 2500 grit.

then compound, then polish & buff then i spray on a UV clearcoat to lock it all in.
Good advice!...except new headlights aren't a waste because often, you can sell your old lights for a few hundred and presto, new lights are less expensive:)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts