BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I got my 2000 M5 it didn't come with angel eye xenon lights, so I called Bavarian auto sport and ordered some. I installed them and they have been great. I have had them for about a year and a half and now the ignitor for the xenon low beam light has gotten too hot and melted the conector(the piece that plugs into the back of the low beam side of the headlight) now it doesn't work. My actual light bulb and the female part of the lamp is luckily not damaged but the male piece and the ignitor(aluminum box that controls the xenon) is going to have to be replaced. Has any one ever had this problem or no where I can find a replacement that will work. I spoke with BMA parts and they have a replacement but I don't know if it will work because the lights are from Bavarian auto sport and this unit is from BMW.

·
Registered
511 Posts
That's due to incorrect installation. The "red part" that attaches to the bulb was not turned counter-clockwise enough to lock it into position. What resulted was the plug after 1 yr slowly came loose and created enough of a gap for an electrical arc of 20,000 volts to occur thus melting the plug. You need a new ballast and most liekly a new bulb.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Greco said:
That's due to incorrect installation. The "red part" that attaches to the bulb was not turned counter-clockwise enough to lock it into position. What resulted was the plug after 1 yr slowly came loose and created enough of a gap for an electrical arc of 20,000 volts to occur thus melting the plug. You need a new ballast and most liekly a new bulb.[/QUO

Thank you for the info that makes sense. I had the red conector turned a little but I guess not enough. Thanks for the info.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts