BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve had a metallic rattle coming from the passenger’s side front wheel area for sometime now. I’ve looked at most of the suspension parts up there, and found nothing loose. The other night while driving at about 20mph (which is when the rattle happens) I decided to apply the brakes while also keeping the speed around 20mph. With the brakes applied, the rattle went away. I let off the brakes, the rattle was back. I applied the brakes again, rattle gone. With this info, I assumed it was the brake pads rattling. I’ve also had some brake squeal lately as well.

Today I took the brake pads out, applied more anti-brake squeal to the back, cleaned things up a little on the braking system and re-installed the pads. The rattle is still there after all of that. Still, if I apply the brakes during the rattle, the rattle goes away.

My question is, what is related to the braking system that could cause a rattle besides the pads?

Does anyone else have any ideas of what I should try?

Thanks for any help in advance. Things like this drive me nuts!!!

...josh

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
I assume you found the spring clip to be in order? Sometimes it loses its spring if you bend it too much when you reinstall it. You might want to just replace it, since it's only a couple dollars.

What brand and model pads are you using? Did you pull the inboard pad out and inspect the piston clips? Perhaps they are bend and aren't providing enough anti-rattle function.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the reply Dave. I'm using Porterfield R4-S pads. I didn't check the piston clips. It's very possible that I bent the anti-rattle clips when I installed the pads. I'll try replacing the clips first and go from there.

thanks again for the help... josh

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
jkarp said:
thanks for the reply Dave. I'm using Porterfield R4-S pads. I didn't check the piston clips. It's very possible that I bent the anti-rattle clips when I installed the pads. I'll try replacing the clips first and go from there.
The fact that you're running Porterfield R4S pads may explain everything. Kerr Friction (the Mexican manufacturer of the R4S) is not very good about maintaining backing plate tolerance. I've seen them produce product that rattled because it was too small and product that had to be modified on the bench grinder in order to fit because it was too big. You might be better off switching to a different pad.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts