BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
955 Posts
not sure if he'll answer the question, but i really want to know why he left AMG. :)

and how is the development/design process of AMG cars compares to M cars.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Gustav said:
Ask away and Ill try to answer the questions directly in this thread if they have been answered before.

:M5launch:
Ask him what happened to the clutch in the new M5?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Gustav said:
You mean the clutch pedal?
No Manual, that we know of and we also know why
Yes Gustav, that is what I meant. I've only had my 03 M5 for a few weaks now. Great car.

I always like to plan ahead, and would love to think about getting an even better M5, but just can imagine that without having a manual transmission (and no, I do not consider SMG manual).

I had always thought that in order to have an "M" designation, the vehicle needed manual transmission.......hence the X5 4.8is not being an "M". I guess BMW sees SMG as fitting the bill, but to me, the vehicle loses a portion of it's soul not being able to shift via clutch pedal/stick. I drove an Audi RS6 priced $40K over the M5 I bought, and not being able to shift it, I would not have purchased even if they were the same price. Seems to be a similar feeling amongst board members, so you may want to mention it in passing and see what he says.

BTW, thanks for the board and all your efforts. I've learned more here about an M5 then I could imagine.

Regards,
Vic

·
Registered
7,503 Posts
vvanherk said:
I had always thought that in order to have an "M" designation, the vehicle needed manual transmission.......hence the X5 4.8is not being an "M".
E36 M3's were avaiable with automatic (i.e. real automatics with torque converters) transmissions.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I know I'm not the only one that will struggle with choosing a color based on the current color choices, so the question is, will they consider changing the std M5 color choices????

·
Registered
49,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You can order the full Individual options.

Jessem said:
I know I'm not the only one that will struggle with choosing a color based on the current color choices, so the question is, will they consider changing the std M5 color choices????

·
Registered
766 Posts
Understood, Gustav, but at a price premium and delivery penalty.

Just a simple "Black" would be nice. or Maybe a dark blue. Oh well.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Now that they'll be putting a V8 in the next M3 and maybe even the Z4 M-roadster, will there be a M-version of the new magnesium block petrol straight-6 (R6) ? If so, where would BMW-M put this M-version R6 into use ? The only logical choice would be the 1-series, but it's only available in Europe. Also, would there be an M-version of the bi-turbo diesel-6, which in current form already produces more hp. & torque than the new R6.

·
Registered
150 Posts
hi guys,

ask him how sturdy and durable will the new M5 be?
i wonder if all the technology and the stress on the SMG
will be problematic in the real world.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.