BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys,
<O:p
Please tell me I am not the only one. I have an 02 with 38k in immaculate condition. Yes.... I mean FLAWLESS. ...well there are some scratches under the front but you can't really see them. I've had it for about 9 months now.<O:p
I worry constantly about the car everywhere I take it. I worry about other people around me, shopping carts, fender benders, someone 'keying' it, and some asswhip opening up his door and hitting my door. If I can't find a parking space far away I get really ticked off. I've even had girlfriends that used to say "just park it already". I have a touchup paint kit always standing by but have never used it yet.<O:p
So guess what? I hardly drive it now. I have kept my old Toyota Camry just for this reason. Now I know the Toyota doesn't stroke your ego as much as the M5, but it's sometimes nice to park it anywhere, smoke in it, eat in it, put trash on the floor. And, if any car rear-ends me, I could care less!<O:p
Part of the reason I am always in a panic is because you can NOT replace the car. If I had a new E60 I could go down and get another one! But a 2002 Carbon Black with 38k in almost perfect shape is hard to find. I've even thought about selling it to end the misery. But now I have an emotional and sentimental thing with the car.<O:p
Now I have seen other M5's around town and they are always dirty as hell, parked anywhere, and look like everyday cars. I just don't think I could do that. I get a speck of break dust on my rims I have to wash it off.<O:p
So am I the only one OCD about their M5?<O:p

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
he he he. you'r not alone, I'm exactly the same, I'm so paranoid about my M5. We are sick people here

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
What you need is an M5 'beater'... drive the beater, and garage the cb queen.. ;)

Dave

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
I hate to pull a Tyler Durden, but....

The car you own ended up owning you.

·
Registered
947 Posts
I was sort of like that but it took the fun out of owning it. So, I could either be paranoid and have not fun or just ignore these minor issues and enjoy it. I took the latter path and am much happier about it and I do not sweat the small stuff like dirt, a paint chip but rather enjoy what the car does best, driving it.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I used to be OCD about my Camaro.

But for some reason, I got a lot less materialistic after buying the M5. I stopped worrying.

Sure, I maintain it well, but I don't obsess over the light coat of dust that may settle if I don't drive it for more than a few hours.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I'm like that with just about every car I have. That's why I drive my 96 Infiniti daily and the other cars only when the mood strikes.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I keep all my cars in flawless condition. However, I do not fret over them. I take reasonable precautions and park away from the masses even if I have to walk a distance. After that, if something happens, I'll get it fixed. At that point you've done all a reasonable person can other than not drive. Once you're at that level, I would sell the car.

Maybe if I found an 03 M5 with 1500 miles on it, I'd find a place to store and keep it. But with 38k miles, I think it's too late to make it a museum piece.

IMO

·
Registered
939 Posts
Man, you must need to be restrained if any maintenance work has to be done to your car. :1:

Have I been concerned about my car, sure. I think I am getting more level headed about it though.

I have Carbon Black as you do and I have been searching and reading every detailing thread on the board about paint swirls. Told myself, I would never wash the car wrong and get a swirl. Well, they are there. :sad1:

I kept my beater car so that I wouldn't get a spec of dust on the beast. Turns out that I get a layer of dust on it just sitting in the garage. :sad1:

I don't drive the thing but every week or two to avoid the other crazy people out there. Still had an accident. Somebody backed into my car, while it was parked at the dealer in the parking lot, when I was paying for the car and about to leave. grrrrrrr :grrrr: ouich

hmmm Are you planning on selling it with 40K on the clock 10 years from now?

If not, then get out and drive. :M5launch: :7:

:cheers:

·
Registered
172 Posts
I did the same thing with brand new M3, it made me sick when something happened to her. In the end it wasn't worth the anxiety issues it caused. My M5 is a different story, it's darn good but not flawless since it's a 5 year old car. I believe that I found a healthy balance between being anal and truly enjoying the car regardless of the parking situation. Don't get me wrong, I will still circle the lot, but I do finally find a space to park it!

·
4,353 Posts

all normal, hell i wouldn't even park the car i'd sit in it and wait for my mother to come out and if i parked it i'd make sure i'd be able to see it from where ever i was...the one time i parked it when i went to toys r' us i put it as far from the entrance as possible where there was a row of 25-30 spaces and my car was smack in the middle, i come out there's 2 cars parked to my right and one to my left...not one even thought to put one space between my car and theirs...i told my mom "you're not saving tuition money you're saving bail money"

·
Registered
193 Posts
Hey guys,
I've even thought about selling it to end the misery. But now I have an emotional and sentimental thing with the car.<O:p
Don't do it, you'll regret it - and you'll end up buying another car because you'll miss it. Might not be another M5, but you'll need something else. I bought an '04 Cobra and sold it for these reasons and made a mistake. Fortunately, I've been able to upgrade to my '03 M5 but wouldn't sell it, not till I'm good and ready. I have a '93 Toyota 4x4 as my daily driver/beater.

·
Registered
939 Posts
the one time i parked it when i went to toys r' us i put it as far from the entrance as possible where there was a row of 25-30 spaces and my car was smack in the middle, i come out there's 2 cars parked to my right and one to my left...not one even thought to put one space between my car and theirs...
Ok. Now those kind of situations do get me all wound up. That's just wrong.

·
Registered
12,890 Posts
It is after all, just a car............

We all obsess a little, but remember it is just a CAR! A scratch or two is inevitable, think of it as a character line on your significant other. You don't get rid of them because they get a few "character lines", right? (won't even touch the driving analogy...:1::1:)
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
281 Posts
Join the club.

I like my cars clean, always have always will. Even if it's almost impossible here in Finland since the weather changes so much.. 4 seasons and all. All imperfections bother me and even if it's something someone doesn't see it needs to fixed since I know it's there.

Wintertime is modding time. Time to take good care of the beast and mod the hell out. In the 2 months I'm down to ten coats of zaino already ouich.
No wonder my friends sometimes mock me for my obsessive cleanliness. "What if it starts to rain?" :7::7:

Summer is for driving and enjoying. I definately DRIVE my beast and it sees the track. What's the point of buying an M5 if you don't use it to it's full potential.

My M5 is my obsession. It is my daily driver, my track car, my garage queen and my show car. A too tall order for most cars.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
O b s e s s i n g ?

...all of your examples plus spending time on a discussion board looking for more subject related material, uh, like here -

...of course we aren't obsessing, the danger signs aren't until you are talking to her, sneaking a kiss...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
Mine's a daily driver. Do I worry about her? Sure!

Do I go out of my way to park away from everyone all the time? Hell Yes.

Do I let anyone else drive her? Hell No -- even my wife has only driven her a handful of times.

Does anyone else work on her? Not a chance.

I consider all this perfectly reasonable for an $80K vehicle with ridiculously expensive parts.

BUT, with all that said, she is still a daily driver that sees road grime, scratches, etc. I just do my best to keep her in the best condition possible...

d-

·
Registered
220 Posts
I had a 2000 M5 I bought from a friend with only 9000 miles on the clock. Leased it so I could afford the payments. I was super anal about it and had a hard time driving it and leaving it to the elements, vandals, etc. When the lease was up the residual was way too high so I let it go. Guess what--I had been taking super care of what was now someone else's car. I finally found a 2001 M5 to replace the first one (bought this one so I wouldn't have to let it go) and I have decided to just enjoy it and not obsess over it. Yeah, it's dirty on the outside a lot of the time, and someone keyed it (which I have repaired almost invisibly), but I'm a lot happier with the car and I enjoy driving it way more than the first one. Drive it and enjoy it--at some point it will be someone else's car and they won't care how you felt about it.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Kill 'em All!

all normal, hell i wouldn't even park the car i'd sit in it and wait for my mother to come out and if i parked it i'd make sure i'd be able to see it from where ever i was...the one time i parked it when i went to toys r' us i put it as far from the entrance as possible where there was a row of 25-30 spaces and my car was smack in the middle, i come out there's 2 cars parked to my right and one to my left...not one even thought to put one space between my car and theirs...i told my mom "you're not saving tuition money you're saving bail money"

That is absolutely cold. That's like going to the movies and sitting next to the only person in the entire theatre. How stupid is that? That sort of stuff just gets my blood boiling. :mad: I will park all the way at the end of a parking lot in the corner, backing it in, to ensure that no one will park next to me. But if someone does and their stupid kid or some blind geriatric throws their door into my car, only one side is succeptable and I can't get hit on the other side.

If someone does hit the passenger's side, at least I don't have to look at it when I climb in every time that I want to drive it. But it's those other times that I would see it when approaching it from that side or cleaning it that would stand as a reminder to how ignorant people truly are.

I hate it when other BMWs that are nasty and haggard looking park next to yours. It just makes it not look as appealing... or it makes it look that much better in contrast to their relics.

Case closed, simply put, other motorists are tools. And we are obsessed.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts