BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
E39 M5 (02,03) or an E60 530i (06) ? ? ?

Background cliff notes.

Sold E46 Cabrio for sporty family car. Bought 2007 Infiniti G35S, hate it. Selling G35S to buy another BMW.

Whatever I buy will get about 1500 miles a month on it (90% highway). So it will get driven.

I want the E39 M5 cause it is probably my all time favorite BMW, but am afraid to put the miles on it without dropping a bunch of money in maintenance costs.

I like the E60 530i for the bullet proof engine, reliability, and updates.

Preformance wise I know there is no contest between the 2, but the price is about the same.

This will be our 3rd car/my summer car. I have a winter beater, she has the family SUV.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Whatever I buy will get about 1500 miles a month on it (90% highway). So it will get driven.

I want the E39 M5 cause it is probably my all time favorite BMW, but am afraid to put the miles on it without dropping a bunch of money in maintenance costs.

This will be our 3rd car/my summer car. I have a winter beater, she has the family SUV.
It is your summer car but you'll have 1500 a month on it? :confused:

Since this is your 3rd car, you'll be using both your winter beater and SUV to use throughout the year. Having the M5 for the summer or any time yearround will be well worth it. The money you'll spend in maintenance will be about the same for both. M5 hands down since you have 2 other cars to use!!!

·
10,456 Posts
do you even have to ask....

mines my daily driver, wouldn't give it up for anything, except maybe another m5.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
What did you expect? you are on the m5board ... of course the M5

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
If his wife is anything like mine, she probably asked him to get some second opinions, but didn't specify from where - so he's simply fulfilling the requirement in a manner that gets him the answer he likes :)

Add another vote for the M5...

d-

·
Registered
168 Posts
The M5 is my 5th car (4th in line if you consider the once-a-month Mustang), and I still look for excuses to drive it anywhere. My DD F150 hasn't been driven in three weeks, and driving mom's Yukon is punishment for bad behavior.

Do it.

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It is your summer car but you'll have 1500 a month on it? :confused:

Since this is your 3rd car, you'll be using both your winter beater and SUV to use throughout the year. Having the M5 for the summer or any time yearround will be well worth it. The money you'll spend in maintenance will be about the same for both. M5 hands down since you have 2 other cars to use!!!
If the weather is nice, I would use it to pick up my oldest daughter every other weekend. (200 miles round trip, once to get her, once to take her back) In Ohio, bad weather is hit or miss in the winter. If it is nice Nov-Mar I will still drive it. I have the winter beater to use if it gets bad though.

Of course I am going to get those answers on an M5 forum, but I was hoping for some realists to speak up and give me real world advice. I know VERY LITTLE about the upkeep of an M5. My 2002 325 Cab had no issues at all, but then again it was CPO'd, so if there were any issues they would be covered. Any E39 M5 I buy won't be.

When I asked this question on an E46 forum (neutral) it was almost a split decision.

I really do appreciate all of the advice though......

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
If the weather is nice, I would use it to pick up my oldest daughter every other weekend. (200 miles round trip, once to get her, once to take her back) In Ohio, bad weather is hit or miss in the winter. If it is nice Nov-Mar I will still drive it. I have the winter beater to use if it gets bad though.

Of course I am going to get those answers on an M5 forum, but I was hoping for some realists to speak up and give me real world advice. I know VERY LITTLE about the upkeep of an M5. My 2002 325 Cab had no issues at all, but then again it was CPO'd, so if there were any issues they would be covered. Any E39 M5 I buy won't be.

When I asked this question on an E46 forum (neutral) it was almost a split decision.

I really do appreciate all of the advice though......
There really is nothing special about maintenance of an M5 vs. any other BMW, other than M5's have earned a reputation as being expensive to maintain. Personally, I find this amusing since ALL BMW's are expensive to maintain.

Do you have to maintain it? Absolutely. And in all fairness, it is less forgiving of failure to do so.

All BMW's have expensive parts, and if you don't take care of them, expensive labor to replace those parts. Take good care of your M5 and you'll have the same results as your 530.

I'd take the M5 because 1) it isn't ugly, 2) it is faster and handles better, 3) it has a nicer interior, and 4) it is a rare car with an excellent support network.

I'd take the 530 because 1) it has new technology (Ipod, etc), 2) it has a lower technology (and therefore theoretically more reliable) engine, and 3) it will be under warranty.

Only you know what is important to you, so only you can decide.

As an unbiased opinion of maintenance, I will tell you simply that you need to find one that was previously well maintained, and if you do, you will be rewarded. IF you absolutely have to have 400hp at all times, then an M5 will be more expensive since you'll be changing plugs, MAFs, and CPS on a fairly regular basis. If you want it as a daily driver and can handle having only 350hp available at times, then your costs will be considerably lower.

d-

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I forgot to mention that I am a mechanic by trade, so all work (that i can handle) will be done by myself.

DouglasABaker, thank you for your informative response. Preventitive maintenance IS my job at work, so it is my way of life. My cars are kept in like new condition, always. As far as how hard will I drive it? It will NEVER see a track, it will probably have my kids in it most of the time, but it will see SOME spirited driving..... (I have a lead foot when I'm alone) I loved the interior of my E46, which is a lot like the E39.

This is a pet peave of mine... I HATE it when a car door does not have a grip on the horizontal arm bolster like the E60. DRIVES ME CRAZY!! That is my real only gripe about that car. Other than that I love it, but it still is not am M5......

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
I'm here for you :)

As a mechanic you should be able to do your own detailed PPI. Read up here first, and still plan on having one at a dealer, but give it a thorough once over.

Mostly, look for maintenance records and a 1 owner...

d-

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
just my .02cents if you go the e60 route try to get the 535i if you can. same reliable 6 inline but with twin turbo's

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
just my .02cents if you go the e60 route try to get the 535i if you can. same reliable 6 inline but with twin turbo's

Too expensive, looking to spend right around $30K. I had considered a used 550 but that is too much also.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I would agree with the others before me. The M5 can't be beat. It is expensive to maintain, but the DIY maintenance that you can do yourself is actually quite fun and rewarding. With you being a mechanic then it should be even easier to do. If you haven't already, test drive the 2 and you will truly understand how all the members on this board feel. Good luck!

·
Registered
289 Posts
My GF has a fully loaded '07 E60 530 and it is no doubt a well built sedan with great handling and all the modern gadgetry but feels very much underpowered even with 255 HP. My '02 beast has just over 75K miles and the only thing I have replaced besides fluids and tires have been the MAF meters. Of course I have a few upgraded mods along the way when it was time to replace such as the clutch, exhaust and suspension. When we go out on a long drive or even a short jump to the city, the choice is always the M5. :applause:I've have 2 other bimmers and I can't say the M5 has been that much more expensive to maintain. It is the mod bug you gotta worry about.

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Test driving a 530 isn't a problem, but finding an E39 around here is almost impossible. I found 1 at a dealership near by. I went to drive it the next day and it was sitting in the shop getting setailed to be delivered. Guy said it was at the dealership for only 16 hours and somebody bought it.....

·
Registered
278 Posts
I will take the other side and suggest that if you can even ask this question, then you should seriously consider the 530i. For most of us the buy decision was made the first time we drove an E39 M5. We didn't necessarily buy the first one we drove (I didn't), but we knew we had to have one. I bought mine about a week later and I could hardly wait that long!

In my mind, if you think you might be happier with the 530i after driving both cars, then you probably will. The BMW in-line six engine is legendary. My E34 535i has over 200k miles and it just keeps running strong. I don't think that car will ever quit (MT of course), and I still enjoy driving it to work. But my M5 is my baby and I love the way it morphs into a beast ready to take-on any road at any time (except winter). She loves her garage in the winter, but loves to play on nice days.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Bought 2007 Infiniti G35S, hate it. Selling G35S to buy another BMW.
Tell us what you hate about the G35S as this could provide some insight into your decision. If you feel the G35S is underpowered, then you will feel the same about the 530i. I assume you have driven the 530i and feel that is not a problem. If you are looking for higher build quality, then returning to BMW makes sense but, of course, a BMW is a more expensive car.

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Tell us what you hate about the G35S as this could provide some insight into your decision. If you feel the G35S is underpowered, then you will feel the same about the 530i. I assume you have driven the 530i and feel that is not a problem. If you are looking for higher build quality, then returning to BMW makes sense but, of course, a BMW is a more expensive car.

The G35S is a fast car in my eyes. Coming from a 325 with 180hp makes this thing seem like a power house. I have never driven an M5, only sat in one. I LOVE the styling. It has gorgeous lines and the interior is set up perfectly. The tranny in my G35S is junk. Auto, and shifts at really odd times. Infiniti as a company (Nissan) is a joke. I tried to save a little bit of $$$, what a mistake. It will cost me a few thousand dollars to fix this, but at least now I know I am a BMW diehard from the heart. The G35 is very unrefined, harsh, not really a luxuary car. IDK, I just don't like it. When I owned my E46, I would park it and when I would walk into the mall, store etc... I would look back at it 15 times thinking, "Damn that's a nice looking car!" I do not feel that way about the G. It's just a car. I want that feeling again. It was modded out pretty tastefully, so I am no stranger to the bug.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Test driving a 530 isn't a problem, but finding an E39 around here is almost impossible. I found 1 at a dealership near by. I went to drive it the next day and it was sitting in the shop getting setailed to be delivered. Guy said it was at the dealership for only 16 hours and somebody bought it.....
I can take you for a drive in my M5 BUT BEWARE you won't be thinking about a 530 afterwards. :7:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts