BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
283 Posts
MPressed said:
what's that red globe for?

Alarm LED, Blinks when armed after locking...

"CARS 101" ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
58 Posts
my understanding is that it is the security activation indicator light.

bryon

:cheers:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
142 Posts
MPressed said:
what's that red globe for?
Yup, it's for the Alarm, but you have to have the Security Option for the LED to blink. I thought it was kinda dumb if you didn't have the alarm and that red globe is there, but could also keep some people away making them think it has an audible alarm.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
184 Posts
What's up with the shape of your mirror and the homelink buttons?
 

·
Moderator Emeritus
Joined
·
10,698 Posts
MCU- mind control unit ;)

yes- its the alarm. On cars without auto dimming mirrors, you also can twist this to toggle the rear mirror to night mode.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,316 Posts
swingkat420 said:
Yup, it's for the Alarm, but you have to have the Security Option for the LED to blink. I thought it was kinda dumb if you didn't have the alarm and that red globe is there, but could also keep some people away making them think it has an audible alarm.
Sorta funny you mention that. When I bought the M3, I noticed the red globe light, but the car doesn't come with an alarm. The dealer said that if I wanted, they could make it blink when the doors are locked...still no alarm, but blinking just the same hiha

WannaM5 said:
What's up with the shape of your mirror and the homelink buttons?
I was wondering the same...did you have to replace a mirror???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,047 Posts
For some car without auto dimming mirrors you twist the red part to move the mirror foward and backward to dim the mirrors.

- Kin
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
142 Posts
WannaM5 said:
What's up with the shape of your mirror and the homelink buttons?
didn't even noticed that. Hmmm...I wonder if that mirror would work on my friends M3 cab?? He'd like to get a homelink, this will give him another option. He was thinking on the visor. I wonder which one would cost more.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
531 Posts
I thought it was also the sensor for our key fobs?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,600 Posts
That's where W's Homeland Security Department has all of their cameras and tracking gear.

Been speeding? George knows.

Don't be paranoid, 'cuz it's far too late for that.

:cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
251 Posts
I've read that there is some cryptic blinking pattern it will display upon disarming the alarm to indicate if the alarm had sounded while locked.

I don't remember what it is or where I read that however (I'll have the RTFM again)...

Paul
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,069 Posts
WannaM5 said:
What's up with the shape of your mirror and the homelink buttons?
Not 100% certain, but that looks like a SAAB mirror with homelink.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
531 Posts
MPressed said:
That mirror is from the new E60 M5.
That's a step in the wrong direction. The oval mirror is so much nicer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,316 Posts
03BeastCharmer said:
That's a step in the wrong direction. The oval mirror is so much nicer.
The E46 M3 mirror with BMW Assist is square as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
531 Posts
M-Fünf said:
The E46 M3 mirror with BMW Assist is square as well.
And I don't like the BMW shark fin aka Assist on the M3. The fin is the main reason my old roommate bought the leather and sunroof individually on his M3.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,316 Posts
03BeastCharmer said:
And I don't like the BMW shark fin aka Assist on the M3. The fin is the main reason my old roommate bought the leather and sunroof individually on his M3.
Yeah, I wish I had, too...I plan to take the sharkfin off when my year of BMW Assist is up. I also plan to change the mirror to the oval. I had OnStar in my Saab, and I never used it in the three years I had the car. I don't think I'll miss BMW Assist, either...

Saaaaay, what's that Saab logo doing in the background of the picture? :hihi:
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top