BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ill preface this by saying I searched around and couldn't find much to help me out. and youtube is not very helpful.

I am wanting to buy an exhaust system for my car and have it ready to go on when it gets to me in a few months. I live in a very quiet neighborhood full of old people who hate loud things. Also German inspection requires exhaust to be under a certain undisclosed Db. I honestly think its however loud the inspector says is to loud. It is very hard to gain a real perspective on how loud a set up is over videos but heres what I am looking for and any advice or guidance is much appreciated.

I want something that will bring up the power a little bit (full set up including headers and everything else) that will sound great. But it can not be to loud but loud enough to where it sounds better than stock inside the car with windows up. I want something that will sound decent at 3-4k RPM in town and sound amazing at 6k+ out on the autobahn.

Any Ideas?

Wayne

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Wayne, welcome to the forum my friend.

Honestly, what you're looking for doesn't exist. You're concerned about Db level and you live in a quiet neighborhood. You're also claiming you want something that isn't too loud in the cabin but you want a full exhaust setup including headers? No offense, but maybe you just want to go with a resonator removal or muffler delete. Or even a Dinan section 3. Any other decent exhaust set up will probably be too loud for what you're looking for. Sometimes it's not the exhaust we have that's loud, it's the cold start - don't forget that. My Dinan setup is on the louder side but then again I have straight pipes but on cold start, it rumbles in my garage and I'm 100% sure my neighbors can hear it LOL.

Dan

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't figure a perfect set up for my needs was out there but it never hurts to ask. My biggest concern is the inspection because 8-9 months a year the car will be sitting due to crappy weather and if the neighbors get to upset with it I can make it up to them. I've been looking around trying to find a member that lives in Germany to ask all my questions to but so far no such luck

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I'm confused. Where do you live? TX no? Why can't you just do all the exhaust stuff after the inspections are done? Screw state inspections and just have fun man. I'm sure we're all in trouble for something. No front plate in CA is illegal blah blah blah.

Dan

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Evolve's Valvetronic exhaust might be able to help you with your noise level concern. Can close the valves to make the exhaust more tame and then open them up for more spirited driving. Dynamic exhaust.

Reactions: LeeDan00

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No I just moved to Germany. Forgot to update my location. They inspect every year and it's pretty intense. They took a hammer to my little Opel to make sure nothing on the bottom was rusted, some sensor thing on the exhaust. Failed me for having a back windshield wiper bald that was cracked etc...

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Honestly if you already know inspections are that intense, it's not even worth modding. Not worth the trouble of going through this every year. I hate doing SMOG and it's every 2 years. Your call, but a year goes by so quickly you won't even have time to enjoy your mods.

Dan

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Or what Randy said LOL.

·
Registered
IB DinanS2++ e60m5 6MT, Dogleg s38b38 e28m5 TT/ST3, e30 TT/ST4
6,521 Posts

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I know at a minimum I have to get a computer tune. I can't bring myself to run the tracks around here with a limiter lol. That evolve company looks like a pretty solid place

That's next on my list of to-do's. Tune on the way.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That steel wool isn't a bad idea!

I feel like a tune and exhaust are must haves till money gets back in line and I can start doing other things I want to do. This website has given me so many ideas it's scary!

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Just a disclaimer to you: This forum will drive you crazy with the mods to be done. I bought this car with the intention of keeping it simple with a 4 door family car for groceries, but that last 3 months. Now this grocery getter is faster than most cars on the road haha.

Dan

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Haha I know what you mean. It's been that way for every car I've ever owned! I've got a small list in my head. Cosmetically almost nothing will be done but........................... There's a lot of other performance and interior ideas on here that are fantastic

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Germany is very strict when it comes to vehicle inspections. I was there this summer and a couple of people were telling me about the processes and testing it's on another level compared to the U.S. I know the Eisenmann Sport exhaust is TÜV certified so you can run that over there.

I have also seen some highly modified cars there, but I'm not sure how they pass inspections? Maybe a native can chime in regarding it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts