BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a day off and knocked off the Inspection II on my M5. What an easy car to service, compared to my Fcars.

Changing the spark plugs was a bit painful.......maybe I'm getting too old as all those little ground wires were playing games with my eyes!!

What do I need to do to reset the service light? Thanks...........
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,071 Posts
From bmwtips.com


BMW insp. reset

- Iginition OFF (POS 0)

- Press and Hold the trip odometer button while turning key to position 1 (ACCESSORY)

- Keep the button depressed (about 5 secs.) until you see "Oil Service" or "Inspection" with "Reset" or "Re" in the display

- *Note: On vehicles with "High" cluster, you will also see the amount of fuel (in litres) remaining until next service

- Press the button again and hold for approx. 5 secs. until "Reset" or "Re" flashes

- While the display is flashing, briefly press the button again to reset the Service Interval. After the display has shown the new interval you should see "END SIA" for about 2 secs.

Note that if the "Reset" or "Re" does not flash, then you have not met the minimum consumption level and cannot reset.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info, but mine is a 2000MY. After going to that web site, it looks like that will work for '01 and on. I guess I'm buyina reset tool!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
590 Posts
I've used this procedure for some time for pre2001 BMW's. Open the round diagnostic plug under the hood on the passenger side of the car. Take a 12-volt test light ground it, and repeatedly touch and release on terminal number seven of the plug with the ignition key in the ON (2) position for a couple of seconds. If it doesn’t reset try again until it does.


:cheers:
Good luck
Joe
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
hudson said:
I've used this procedure for some time for pre2001 BMW's. Open the round diagnostic plug under the hood on the passenger side of the car. Take a 12-volt test light ground it, and repeatedly touch and release on terminal number seven of the plug with the ignition key in the ON (2) position for a couple of seconds. If it doesn’t reset try again until it does.


:cheers:
Good luck
Joe
Thanks....I'll give it a try!

NOW....all I need is a magnifying glass! Am I getting old....or are those numbers about invisible!?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,954 Posts
Ingenere said:
I had a day off and knocked off the Inspection II on my M5. What an easy car to service, compared to my Fcars.

Changing the spark plugs was a bit painful.......maybe I'm getting too old as all those little ground wires were playing games with my eyes!!

What do I need to do to reset the service light? Thanks...........
I did mine recently as well, all was fairly simple but I agree the spark plugs took a bit longer than I would have expected.

Did you change the Diff fluid as well? Even though BMW (through Owners Circle) states that the Diff fluid is changed only once at 1,200 miles and then lifetime, every M-mechanic will tell you that the concept of a lifetime fluid is a bit elusive... It's fairly cheap, the only thing is that the dealer orders it in 50 gallon bins so you have to bring your own container (empty but clean bottle of Antifireeze should do it).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
590 Posts
Ingenere said:
Thanks....I'll give it a try!

NOW....all I need is a magnifying glass! Am I getting old....or are those numbers about invisible!?
The numbers are small but visible, a flash light and a magnifying glass makes it alot easier. Let me know how you make out.

Joe
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top