BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title states. I was doing a run on the highway with some cars, and I ended up going all the way to 170mph, until I hit fuel cut.
My friend has the video to prove it. My car is 100% stock with no software. How is it not limited to 155mph?

I know it was stupid of me. And very unsafe. And I will never do anything close to that again. I experienced quite the adrenaline rush :eek:oohhh:

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9550/5.0.0.320 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Speedometer error most likely. Did you check it against GPS?

·
Registered
797 Posts
I knew BMW speedo's were optimistic, but almost 9% error? Wow.

BTW: Shame. Shame. Don't ever do that again.

·
Registered
911 Posts
I know it was stupid of me. And very unsafe. And I will never do anything close to that again. I experienced quite the adrenaline rush :eek:oohhh:
Blablabla, dont lie, you liked it and you will do it again :blabla::blabla:
Maybe you have so kind tune what you dont know about.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Factory fitted speedometers usually read 'over' for obvious reasons and 10% over is not uncommon. Based on that you were probably doing about 155.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Got mine upto 169mph once. I imagine its just over-reading. I find the speedo does over-read even at 70mph and by the time you get up to 170mph, I guess its over-reading by quite abit.

·
Registered
273 Posts
+1 on the optimistic speedo

Most publications agree that BMW has the most inaccurate speedometers. The funny thing is that the odometer is right on, but because of liability issues with reading lower than actual speeds for possible tire size differences, BMW has erred towards tuning the indicated speed high while everything else is right on.

Your GPS navigation has a feature that allows you to view GPS speed, and that should be right on. For me, I am going 60 GPS and roughly the same at the odometer at 63 MPH indicated, at least with the tire wear I have at the moment..

I also believe that the speedo gets more 'happy' % wise as speeds go north too.

·
Registered
222 Posts
^ that for sure was done in Mexico

·
Registered
459 Posts
I found old cable driven speedos 10% over at all speeds, and both bmw's run off abs (or wherever) 2/3mph over at all speeds - not checked at really high speeds, but don't think it would go off so wildly above 100mph when so linear below.
As it knows what speed you are actually doing, adding a couple mph for safety makes sense to me, this to increase to 10%/15mph doesn't.
Do keep meaning to check against tomtom early one morning.... :M5thumbs:

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
ive hit 165 in my stock M5 in 6th gear. WOW I had a fat adrenaline rush it was awesome. Havent gotten up to that speed in awhile but I have hit 140 many times.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts