BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving home in the rain today I went into 3rd and laid into it. Then once more for good measure. The wife says she hears something and the dash starts to light up. Won't idle and I nurse it home. Pull the codes and it says bank 1 cam 1 retarded and same for every other cam. Misfiring bla bla.

Any thoughts?

Thanks fellas

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
Driving home in the rain today I went into 3rd and laid into it. Then once more for good measure. The wife says she hears something and the dash starts to light up. Won't idle and I nurse it home. Pull the codes and it says bank 1 cam 1 retarded and same for every other cam. Misfiring bla bla.

Any thoughts?

Thanks fellas
Can you post the actual alphanumeric codes?

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
Well, first off I would change the oil and inspect for debris in the pan. Cut open the oil filter and look for any in there. If that all comes out looking ok, I would probably pull the crankshaft sensor off the bell housing and take a look at the tip of it. It acts as the reference for timing for all 4 camshafts.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, first off I would change the oil and inspect for debris in the pan. Cut open the oil filter and look for any in there. If that all comes out looking ok, I would probably pull the crankshaft sensor off the bell housing and take a look at the tip of it. It acts as the reference for timing for all 4 camshafts.
Thanks pal, I will give it a look.

T

·
0 Posts
Check the oil filter. If it has metal in it, then you need a new motor.

1.) Spin bearing
2.) Metal from bearings goes into Vanos pump and downstream to Vanos solenoids.
3.) Vanos solenoids get clogged and then motor goes into limp mode from retarded cam timing.

Let me know if you need any assistance. We are up to 126-qty S85 engines sold in the past two years and will be adding three more to that this upcoming week when the cars are complete and ready to ship back to board members.

Troy Jeup
616-304-3678

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Check the oil filter. If it has metal in it, then you need a new motor.

1.) Spin bearing
2.) Metal from bearings goes into Vanos pump and downstream to Vanos solenoids.
3.) Vanos solenoids get clogged and then motor goes into limp mode from retarded cam timing.

Let me know if you need any assistance. We are up to 126-qty S85 engines sold in the past two years and will be adding three more to that this upcoming week when the cars are complete and ready to ship back to board members.

Troy Jeup
616-304-3678

If you are correct Troy. What's the cost involved in replacing the engine "best guess" for this, less transportation?

·
Registered
991 Posts
If you are correct Troy. What's the cost involved in replacing the engine "best guess" for this, less transportation?
Good question, out of curiosity I'd like to know as well. Seems like you've got a good market cornered there with the S85 rebuilds! Must be a cool looking shop you've got Troy! :cheers:

·
Registered
991 Posts

Any thoughts?

Thanks fellas
Can you expand on the "hears something" comment? Like what? Metallic? Different exhaust note?

I had a similar issue early into ownership of my S62 powered E39 M5, shortly after a fuel fill up, I ended up with multiple misfires and couldn't even drive. Unplugging the MAFs didn't rectify it, and I was stuck on the side of the road. After about an hour, I restarted it, and the car ran fine, so I limped her home.

What I did was a bit over the top maybe, but the car had just shy of 100,000 miles on it, so I figured it was due time anyways. I replaced all 8 spark plugs, ruling that scenario out. I replaced all four O2 sensors, precat and postcat. I replaced all four cam position sensors, which was all kinds of fun trying to remove those Phillips head screws with 2" of room behind them (stupid design). I replaced those bad boys with a set of hex heads so that an Allen key was all that was needed to reinstall or for next time around. I think I changed the crank position sensor as well (can't remember, but probably given my maintenance OCD). Also replaced both MAF sensors.

Know what happened next? Clutch started slipping. That's right. Because now, not only was my problem cured, but I was making so much more power that the next weak link emerged as the clutch lol

So in short, I'd consider the above. Where is your mileage at? Maybe a good idea to knock out some of the stuff I mentioned, as those sensors are really only meant to see 90,000 miles (reference Bosch website).

Steve

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Welcome to the Troy-built club! I joined 6 months ago and it's been running great ever since. Did they find metal in the oil filter?

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I feel your pain brother

Can you expand on the "hears something" comment? Like what? Metallic? Different exhaust note?

I had a similar issue early into ownership of my S62 powered E39 M5, shortly after a fuel fill up, I ended up with multiple misfires and couldn't even drive. Unplugging the MAFs didn't rectify it, and I was stuck on the side of the road. After about an hour, I restarted it, and the car ran fine, so I limped her home.

What I did was a bit over the top maybe, but the car had just shy of 100,000 miles on it, so I figured it was due time anyways. I replaced all 8 spark plugs, ruling that scenario out. I replaced all four O2 sensors, precat and postcat. I replaced all four cam position sensors, which was all kinds of fun trying to remove those Phillips head screws with 2" of room behind them (stupid design). I replaced those bad boys with a set of hex heads so that an Allen key was all that was needed to reinstall or for next time around. I think I changed the crank position sensor as well (can't remember, but probably given my maintenance OCD). Also replaced both MAF sensors.

Know what happened next? Clutch started slipping. That's right. Because now, not only was my problem cured, but I was making so much more power that the next weak link emerged as the clutch lol

So in short, I'd consider the above. Where is your mileage at? Maybe a good idea to knock out some of the stuff I mentioned, as those sensors are really only meant to see 90,000 miles (reference Bosch website).

Steve
I also did all 4 CPS s on my E39 in one session, the passenger side was difficult but the drivers side was behind a little bracket, hoses, and what felt like a small inquisition quality iron maiden of little sharp edges...Finished with shredded gloves, skin, blown back, and clear dash...

OP I would follow these guys advise to a T, and avoid the stealer, between guys like Jeup, B767, and Jcolley, theres more experience based know how here than all the US dealers combined....

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Thats basically my disaster plan too: QUESTION FOR TROY:

Well, my baby is on the way to see Troy.
Hey Troy, Do you deal with 3rd party Insurance for motorectomies? I have a zurich drivline policy on my 06, good for another 2 yrs...If she sh*ts the bed I would be more comfortable sending her your way, but if still covered i would like to reap some insurance benefit?

·
Registered
156 Posts
I sent you a PM...But now I see the result when I saw the pic of the car on the trailer. Welcome to the Troy built club

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Welcome to the Troy-built club! I joined 6 months ago and it's been running great ever since. Did they find metal in the oil filter?
I never even looked at the filter. Troy described exactly the problem. I'm positive it's hurt now, after starting it and running it down the street to the car hauler.

And not that it's any big new here. Troy is a good dude, I would just a soon leave it parked than be unsure of the outcome.

In fact;I'm working on a buddy in NYC to get him to have Troy build him a 6 liter.

And OMG if I had the bread and my car didn't have so many miles, I would have a 6 liter in that car so fast. I personally feel that is the deal of the century, In a past life I was in the performance auto industry and what he charges for the 6 liter is a steal.

However, that much power. These cars are so darn fast now, I couldn't imagine an extra 150 hp.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Swap those wheels out too? :tonquesmilie:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts