BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I recently took delivery of a 2003 M5 and noticed that my mirror has the cutout inside for the V1 display. The previous owner said he never hooked it up and wasn't sure what was needed. I searched the boards, but most of the posts I found were more about sourcing the mirror itself. I figure since I've already got the mirror it's worth looking into what I need to connect it. Is anyone on here running that setup?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
I'd assume you'd need a V1 radar detector. Not sure if they've moved away from the RJ11 connector or not though. I assume the display/mirror has an RJ11 for it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well.. scratch that plan. I was messing around with the mirror looking to see if there were any hidden wires and somehow... somehow.. the pressure I put on the housing cracked the windshield. I didn't even think that was possible. Looks like my money will be going into a new windshield instead of any radar gear... I can't believe that just happened. Well.. 1 month in, 1st M5 repair! Ugh..

·
Registered
94 Posts
When I got my M5, I barely touched the mirror and it fell off as well. I was lucky enough that the crack didn't go all the way through, so I have JB Weld'ed the glass and metal piece back on - but it's still delicate. So I've kicked that can down the road.

That being said, you have to twist on/off the mirror after you remove the base plastic covering.

About your original post, I assume there's an RJ11 (phone cord) in the headliner, which would power a V1. I have the 2nd best option which is a Stealthone that puts text on the stereo and dash. I called Valentine directly and asked for a "refurbished" model and it was 10% off. It looked new in the box and carries all the same warranties and most up to date software. Also has the same 30 day return policy as new ones, in the event you aren't satisfied.

·
Registered
162 Posts
OP - I feel your pain, as I did the same thing to my windshield in a 2001 525iT. Tried to change the mirror to self dimming, and BAM, the windshield cracked big time. I was lucky because the people in the insurance office said they would not cover it, but a week or so later, I had a meeting with the insurance broker and mentioned it. He got me covered ($1000).

Sounds like all you need it to hook up a phone cable to a Valentine 1, which you will need.

I also have a StealthOne kit sitting in my garage, which I will be putting in my M5. What a great setup that is, keeping the V1 dark and sending the info to the dash. Very sad that the are no longer in business, as this was a great device.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I also have a StealthOne kit sitting in my garage, which I will be putting in my M5. What a great setup that is, keeping the V1 dark and sending the info to the dash. Very sad that the are no longer in business, as this was a great device.
I might have to bug you about that stealthone, I have the box but the guy I bought it from never took the wires out of the car before selling it. If I can just find out what pin on the harness it uses to feed the ibus data, i can make my own wires.

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
The wire is directly connected to the iBus junction center behind the glove box. A purple wire, if I remember correctly. I pulled a pin connector, soldered the StealthOne wire to it and snapped it back in to the junction center.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I have a file of the StealthOne owners manual if you need it. Just PM me. I just looked at it and it did not call out a wire color, but just said connect to the I-Bus.

From the manual:

To Install StealthOne:
1. Select an appropriate location to install your Valentine One® using any of the
methods described in the Valentine One® owner’s manual. We recommend that
you use the direct wire power adapter provided with your Valentine One® and
tap into a switched 12v wire in the overhead console. This will allow you to
place the Valentine One® at the top of the front windshield, which will give it
the best unobstructed front and rear view.
Note: When mounted, Valentine One® must have an unobstructed view. It
cannot be mounted behind the windshield wipers.
2. Plug one end of the 2 Ft. RJ-11 modular Power Cable into the Valentine One®
Accessory (ACC) port using Valentine One®’s direct wire power adapter or the
cigarette lighter adapter, and then plug the other end of the Power Cable into
the StealthOne “V1 ACC” module port.
3. Plug the end of the RJ-11 modular Interface Cable that has the I-BUS wire
attached to it into the StealthOne I-BUS/AUX module port. Do not connect the
other modular plug to anything, but instead let the wire hang loose and locate
it in a convenient location. This modular plug will be used for in car
programming of the StealthOne with software updates and future options.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alright... so i got the windshield replaced, but Safelight wouldn't touch the ball. I have it hanging off right now but can't for the life of me get that ball back on.

Any suggestions? BMW said they wouldn't even try and quoted $600 for a new mirror. I can't believe getting the ball back on is so hard. Since I have the V1 hard wired in there I can't just do the quarter turn and take the mirror out of the car. I saw a video of a guy using a block of wood and a jack to get the mirror back in the ball. Any help would be appreciated guys. Thanks!

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
Alright... so i got the windshield replaced, but Safelight wouldn't touch the ball. I have it hanging off right now but can't for the life of me get that ball back on.

Any suggestions? BMW said they wouldn't even try and quoted $600 for a new mirror. I can't believe getting the ball back on is so hard. Since I have the V1 hard wired in there I can't just do the quarter turn and take the mirror out of the car. I saw a video of a guy using a block of wood and a jack to get the mirror back in the ball. Any help would be appreciated guys. Thanks!
I have used Safelite before (as recently as 5 months ago-they do very nice work) and I have never had them refuse to replace the rear view mirror. I would not pay for the job as I would consider that "incomplete". That is part of replacing the windshield.

I would contact customer service and contact your credit card company for a chargeback if necessary.

Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have used Safelite before (as recently as 5 months ago-they do very nice work) and I have never had them refuse to replace the rear view mirror. I would not pay for the job as I would consider that "incomplete". That is part of replacing the windshield.

I would contact customer service and contact your credit card company for a chargeback if necessary.

Regards,
Jerry
The guys were actually pretty helpful. 3 of us messed around with it after I told them I wouldn't hold them liable if the mirror broke. We all wrenched on it super hard but couldn't get it back in. We also tried to take it out of the car completely, but it seems that the V1 thing is hardwired in with no harness so we couldn't get it more than a few inches away from the windshield. I just can't believe the dealership said popping it back in was impossible and their only option was replacing the entire thing. I think the next step is popping the mirror open to see if I can disconnect all of the valentine stuff. If I can do that and get the mirror onto a workbench I'm hoping I can pop it back in without breaking the glass on the mirror. I've got a 500 mile road trip coming up on Thursday so I'm gonna try to hold it in place with some putty or something until I can find a long term fix.. I knew I would have some crazy bills with this car but I never expected the mirror to be such a mess!:grrrrr:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The guys were actually super helpful. They mounted the mirror and the rain sensor to the windshield, but were apprehensive about the swivel ball. They even showed me their "wall of shame" with about 20 broken mirrors. I give them a lot of credit for letting me mess around with the mirror. After I gave them the ok, one guy even tried it out but couldn't get it in. For now, its still just hanging pretty much useless. This weekend I'm going to try and rig something up to hold it into a decent spot, but I need to come up with an actual fix. I've found some cheap mirrors online, but it seems stupid to replace the a perfectly working mirror just because I can't physically pop the ball into place. The other issue is the hardwiring of the V1. I don't want to just cut those wires and tape them off. I'm worried it will cause electrical shorts/faults. The V1 has like 10 wires soldered onto its circuit board so there's a lot going on. Wish me luck! If/when I do figure it out I'll let everyone know because I'm sure this will happen to someone else again.

·
Registered
860 Posts
So good to find a recent thread. Related question. My 02 came with a StealthOne integration, but no Valentine detector.

I've recently become interested in getting one. With all the years gone by, what version would I be looking for? Would it still work with the StealthOne from circa 2008?

The StealthOne manual that came with car says SW version 1.6, if that helps. And would I just plug into wire behind the pass visor?

TIA for any help.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Yes, any V1 will work with your stealthone. I forgot what SW version I have, but I also didn't know how to update it so it's a moot point. I purchased a return/refurb from Valentine themselves (you have to call them and ask for the 10% off returns/refurbs), you get 10% off and it's up to date with the newest firmware etc. Plus you get 30 day return policy if you don't like it. Mine looked new when I got it, just for a discount.

Some folks say it's not the best, but it has saved me several times (V1 + waze on phone) - I like the arrows and simple integration with car. If you don't like it, return to Valentine, and pull the stealthone and sell it here - someone will probably pay $200 for it.

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
So good to find a recent thread. Related question. My 02 came with a StealthOne integration, but no Valentine detector.

I've recently become interested in getting one. With all the years gone by, what version would I be looking for? Would it still work with the StealthOne from circa 2008?

The StealthOne manual that came with car says SW version 1.6, if that helps. And would I just plug into wire behind the pass visor?

TIA for any help.
I think SW may be the latest software for S1. They stopped producing the product years ago. But it should work with all of the current V1's. Mine are a few years old and I have never had an issue.

Assuming the wire behind your visor is for the V1 (end looks like the end of a landline telephone cord), then yes, just plug it into your V1.

I use the suction cups and have mine mounted just above and to the left of my rear view mirror. Pretty well hidden up there. If there is enough cord, you can move it there, or just use the visor mount (although your passenger will no longer be able to use the visor in the down position.

Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
860 Posts
Thanks much guys, I appreciate it.

FWIW to the next guy, I called V1. They said look for a 2014+ detector, otherwise it won't know how to handle all the K-band stuff put out by lane departure feature on newer cars.

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
I should probably get a new one. Mine is from 2009. I use it less because the solar windshield in my X5 pretty much makes the arrows useless and I drive that the most.

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
I should probably get a new one. Mine is from 2009. I use it less because the solar windshield in my X5 pretty much makes the arrows useless and I drive that the most.
Amazingly, mine is almost as effective when left at the front the center console (other cars in the fleet). It does affect the accuracy of the arrows, but seems to barely diminish the range.

You can always send back to V1 for a programming update but sometimes the update is almost the cost of a new/refurbed unit!

Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
Amazingly, mine is almost as effective when left at the front the center console (other cars in the fleet). It does affect the accuracy of the arrows, but seems to barely diminish the range.

You can always send back to V1 for a programming update but sometimes the update is almost the cost of a new/refurbed unit!

Regards,
Jerry
Yes, the range doesn't seem to be affected but everything is indicated behind. It might just be the specific windshield I have and others of the type might not be as bad. Last I contacted them a refurbed unit was within $30 of a new one. I passed at that time.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
About this Discussion
18 Replies
8 Participants
josiahg52
BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
M5Board is the best forum community for information on the BMW M5 E60 (V-10), E39 (V-8), E34 (straight 6), E28, F90 and F10. Discuss performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing