BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Moderator Emeritus
1,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So. In NYS, points stay on your license for 18 months. My attorney has been delaying my trial for about 22 months. So, by the time the trial came around, the points weren't even there.

:cheers::cheers::cheers:

Just cost me a few bucks and being good for a while.

So nice to be free:15::15::15:

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
So. In NYS, points stay on your license for 18 months. My attorney has been delaying my trial for about 22 months. So, by the time the trial came around, the points weren't even there.

:cheers::cheers::cheers:

Just cost me a few bucks and being good for a while.

So nice to be free:15::15::15:
Correct me if I am wrong, but the points do stay on for insurance purposed for 5 years don't they?

·
Moderator Emeritus
916 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong, but the points do stay on for insurance purposed for 5 years don't they?
Going by the timestamps on the posts you didn't even give glowrider an hour (59 minutes) to enjoy his happy news :D before shooting him back down to earth grrrrrrr

I'm probably tempting fate here but I've never had a single point on my license in the 11 years I've been driving :15: but glowrider I'm having a celebratory drink for you :cheers:

·
Moderator Emeritus
1,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Nope - called the lawyer AND the judge...both said from the time of the incident.

DMV confirmed that I have no outstanding points on the license.

Insurance points are another story - but I'm only concerned with my license.

·
Moderator Emeritus
1,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
"While the traffic convictions themselves remain on your record for at least three years, the points are automatically removed from your total 18 months after committing an offense. You may also remove four points from your total by completing an accident-prevention course approved by the DMV (read the DMV's Point and Insurance Reduction Program brochure)."

·
Registered
917 Posts
David is our resident baller, he doesn't care about insurance points as that's just money. DMV points on the other hand can can get out of hand fast.

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
The DMV computer system automatically calculates your point total as follows:
  • You must be convicted of the traffic violation for the points to be added to your point total, but the calculation of your point total is based on the date of the violation, not the date of the conviction.
from the DMV site:

Not uncommon David...I have a client I have to get out of a speed tix.
She was given the ticket in April of 2007...just got her notice of a trial date for Dec. 12th 2008..:eek:....a year and six months past the infraction date....talk about due process...yikes
S

·
Moderator Emeritus
1,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
My trial was 22 months after violation - my attorney kept pushing it back more and more. Not that it matters in the city. No negotiation - you're just screwed.

All NYS cares about now is the money. $300 for the first 6 points, $75 for each thereafter. Payable in a lump sum or spread over three years (no interest). Again, another reason they calculate points from the date of violation and not of conviction. That way they are guaranteed the money.

So, after 18 months, you'll walk out of the courtroom (if found guilty) with a bill for the infraction and if you broke the 6pt barrier, the bill for that.

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
My trial was 22 months after violation - my attorney kept pushing it back more and more. Not that it matters in the city. No negotiation - you're just screwed.

All NYS cares about now is the money. $300 for the first 6 points, $75 for each thereafter. Payable in a lump sum or spread over three years (no interest). Again, another reason they calculate points from the date of violation and not of conviction. That way they are guaranteed the money.

So, after 18 months, you'll walk out of the courtroom (if found guilty) with a bill for the infraction and if you broke the 6pt barrier, the bill for that.[/quote

But thats my point...you had your attorney push it back.....nothing of the sort was done for this person...dockets are either full or it was an oversight....lol....lucky for her....51 in a 30....
S

·
Moderator Emeritus
1,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Also, if you get three speeding violations in those 18 months, even if they're under 11 points, automatic suspension.

Once again, why they don't give a **** about the conviction wrt points. Incident date=points Conviction=$$$

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
Nope - called the lawyer AND the judge...both said from the time of the incident.

DMV confirmed that I have no outstanding points on the license.

Insurance points are another story - but I'm only concerned with my license.
Sorry thats what I was talking about. My mistake. :cheers:

·
Moderator Emeritus
1,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here's coincidence (karma?)...The night I got that ticket, I was racing back from my then-girlfriend's place on the Island back to my place in the city where my best friend from high school was staying while he was on leave before he was deployed to Iraq in March '07. Got busted on the West Side Highway doing 85 in a 50.

He's on R&R right now over in Pattaya Beach with a few squad mates and I just got a phone call from him asking for help. They are completely stuck there due to the riots/protests shutting down the airports. Military says it will take a week to get a C130 in from Japan over to Thailand to get them and some other boys out. They can't flop at airports like the other hundred thousand people are doing and they certainly can't hop a bus to Vietnam. Broke and homeless after three weeks of booze and broads to celebrate lasting a year and a half in the sandbox.

I figure I got good news today, time to give back again. Booked 'em five rooms for a week and set 'em up with one of my fixers over there to make sure they're taken care of properly, anything they need. I urge you all to do the same if possible. Buy some body armor or other supplies for our boys over in Iraq and Afghanistan - every little bit helps.

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
Thats really nice of you David. God bless you and of course our troops!! Hopefully most of them have a great friend like you to help them out when they are in need.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts