BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Change the gear box oil? If so, with OEM or Royal Purple?
Change the differential lube? - I did at 1200 miles as indicated.

Thanks

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
I thought the differential lube was good for the life of the car?

Mark

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Yes, I'd change both. (I changed my tranny fluid at 80k miles)
OEM. Why risk it? (I still have a half a container... anyone else need a change?)

Yes, I know there are a few strong supporters of Royal Purple on this board, but there are also a few strong detractors. IMHO, I don't want to be testing products on my car that only get changed once every 100,000 miles. While I don't believe that BMW's fluid actually lasts a lifetime, I do believe it will last a long time. (actually, I think BMW and I have different definitions of "lifetime"... mine is about 200k, theirs seems to be "when the warranty runs out")

Tires, sure. I'll test new brands there, because I can see and feel the differences long before there is a problem. And they only last 5 to 25k.

When was the last time you looked at your tranny fluid and the gears of the transmission? Never? Yeah, thought so. So if you go with Royal Purple, are you going to check it every 10,000 miles to see if it is holding up and not causing any problems?

just my opinion.

·
Registered
298 Posts
tranck said:

Thanks
I change my transmission and differential oils every 30K miles on all of my vehicles. I also don't want the lifetime of my transmission and differential to be 100K miles. FWIW, I have been using either Redline, Royal Purple or Mobil 1 on my now sold E46 and my heavily tracked M3 without issue. Royal purple seems to do the best job of making my transmissions shift smoothly. I will probably do my M5 in another 2K (60K miles) with RP in the tranny and Mobil 1 in the diff.

Regards

·
Registered
767 Posts
I do my transmission and differential oils every 50K miles on all of my vehicles. Wow, jhowton, you've got me beat by 20K. Never found anyone else that beat me, just those that laugh that I change mine. The problem I have with company "lifetime" statements is that my cars have a tendency to outlive them!

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
Beamer_usa said:
I think when they say lifetime they mean every 100khmmm
Well now, BMW thinks that the lifetime of a car is 100k miles? I guess this lifetime estimate would be more of a reflection on the state on the electronics than perhaps the mechanicals.

Mark

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
tranck said:

Thanks
How does the car run after almost 100k ? Any significant issues with reliability ?

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Chuckc said:
How does the car run after almost 100k ? Any significant issues with reliability ?
This might be repetitve for some that have read previous threads but I have been extremely satisfied with the car - a 2000 model.

One clutch replacement although, the second is slipping a bit.

No vanos issues other than the occasional start-up rattle.

I did have the heads replaced after constant SES light indicating excessive carbon buildup - this after almost 90,000 miles and again, for others that have read my posts, I apologize for this information again.

I used a very high octane gas on a couple of occasions which unbeknownst to me contained lead - even at that, my SA comped the parts for the head replacement and I paid for the labor - about $3000.

No CAT replacements

No O2 replacement

Right side cam sensor replaced (free by Leith BMW in Raleigh, NC)

A couple of power steering hoses.

Dash cluster replaced because of pixel problem - again, BMW comped the part - I paid for less than an hour labor - this very recently.

Original brakes.

Uses about a quart of oil - 10W-60 every 3500 miles.

Just changed the battery about 3 months ago - no problem but, after almost 5 years, I didn't want to get stuck.

I'm not trading it for anything - there simply is not another car - looks wise that does it for me like this one.

Not the new M5 - do not like the looks, and certainly not the new 6 series which I think looks simply like an over-grown 4 series car.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts