BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imagine you are cruising on the tollway in a 4 door sedan that weighs 4000 pounds and have 3 passengers with you. You stare at your odometer and it reads 1195... 1196... 1197... 1199... and it passes the factory 1200 miles break-in period. You look at the oval shape rear view mirror and your friend is still behind you in his 996 C4 cab 6-sp. You look around and you see a clear path ahead of you. You tell yourself "IT'S TIME, IT'S M POWER TIME" and drop from 6th to 4th and push the gas pedal to the floor. All eight throttle bodies are wide open and you can hear them screaming for more air. You look at the rear view mirror and you see your friend trying to catch up with you but he's getting smaller and smaller in your rear view mirror. You slow back down to the legal speed limit and try not to emphasize the big smile you have on your face. You and your friend exit the tollway and are now sitting at the light. He can't believe what has just happened. You have seen the top end power and is now wondering about the low end power. You switch the DSC(traction control) off. Green light comes, both cars launch forward. You are even with him in 1st. You shift into 2nd and lay some rubber on the ground as you pull away from the Porsche. You shift into 3rd and slow down as your realize the Porsche cannot keep up at all.

You wake up from your dream and you want to re-live the moments again... on a race track, of course.

Story based on true story.

Later,
Kenneth
'00 silverstone M5
Just passed 1200 miles this weekend

·
Registered
135 Posts
Kenneth,

You made my day. AWESOME. The car is unbelievable, is it not. I have come to the conclusion that it handles better than my old E36 M3.

Jeff L

00 Ti / Black Exclusive.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jeff L,

Is the Ti for track use? Are you going to put the Ti on a trailer and pull it with your M5 next time when you go to TWS? :)

·
Registered
135 Posts
Kenneth,

No, the Ti stands for Titanium Silver. I kinda over abbreviated. I am going to build an E36 325i for a track car. Maybe I will tow it with my 535i. If I tow it with the M5, the 325i will be faster towed than it will driven.

Jeff L

Titanium Silver / Black exclusive

·
Registered
135 Posts
Nick,

The combo is great. I especially like the Titanium. I have gotten a lot of compliments, even from people who are not car nuts. They all say it is beautiful. The black gives the interior a business like feeling.

Jeff L

·
Registered
73 Posts
Great story Ken!

Jeff, I must respectfully disagree with you. I love my M5 tremendously, but my '95 M3 is more nimble and has more neutral handling (i.e. less understeer).

However, if I were forced to give one up, the M3 would go in a heart-beat.

Rick

·
Registered
135 Posts
Rick,

I agree that the M3 is more nimble and slightly more neutral, but the M5 just seems to stick alot better. So in that sense it seems to handle better. I took it the track a couple of weeks ago and ran some pretty comparable times to my M3 on street tires and street pads, so I was pretty damned impressed. Granted there were a few tight areas in the course where it pushed quite a bit, but overall I was very pleasantly surprised with the 4000 lb beast. So I cannot say absolutely it handles better, but that aspects of its handling is better.I will say one thing, it is very comfortable to drive fast, because it is unbelievably forgiving. My M3 had the full Dinan suspension and supercharger treatment, so it was pretty twitchy. This made the car alot more responsive, but also more nerve wracking. So that probably has something to do with my impression also. Thanks for keeping me honest. BTW, was pushing 140 on the straights with the beast, much faster than the SC M3.

Jeff L

·
Registered
23 Posts
was on sh tollway last week bringing my aunt home from airport .. late model s500 followed close for miles... was in the middle of a conversation with my aunt when the s500 blew by me, i was doing 90 in 6th,, the guy laughed and waved,, i put the car in 4th ,, hammered it and in about 15 seconds (on or about) i was 3 cars in front and doing about 140.. my car has the chip, supersport exaust, k&n filters and a dinan front strut support....(strut sopprt went on 5/30/00.. he backed off then... just wanted to share.. the car is a MONSTER !!

·
Registered
23 Posts
she had no clue we were even going that fast... when i told her she laughed and told me not to kill her....
And did you Aunt pee her pants? (Enquiring minds want to know.....)[/QUOTE]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts