BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 18 months or so I usually get the itch and start looking around at other cars and this time 997/911's have caught my eye. I have been looking at some TT's, C4S', C2S' etc and there are some low mileage examples in the range I want to spend. I basically decided that I was going to keep the M5 a little longer but two things happened. First, I was offered 38K as a trade on my car (plus taxes puts the value at 40K - well worth it not to sell private. Owe 44K.) and I am currently at 38,800 miles. I am afraid that once I roll to 39,000 or 40,000 miles, this trade number will be much lower and in fact some dealers offered 33-37K hedging against this and advised that if I get closed to 40K the number will change. Sales pitch or accurate? The second thing that happened is that a local dealer got a 2010 C4S with 3,000 miles returned early due to the customer not being able to make the payments due to health reasons. The sticker on the car was 110K and I can purchase it for 78K. It does need to have the rear bumber repaired (paint will be needed) as the snow removal guys scratched it pretty bad but overall its a new car. Similar cars are selling for 10K more. Obviously my options are:

1) Keep the M5 and deal with future depreciation as it comes.
2) Buy the 2010 C4S
3) Look for a 2007 911 Twin Turbo which is only a few thousand more than the 2010.

Thoughts? I will probably get many keep the M5 replies as this is the M5 board.......

·
Registered
407 Posts
Decisions, decisions. You should drive each car and follow your heart to see how you feel. Does the drive give you that scintillating feeling? Is it practical for your lifestyle to possibly own a coupe? IMHO, with not too many current E60 drivers favoring the new F07, the value of your V10 beast will always be there in the private selling sector, anyway.

No matter what you decide on, garage will look like precision collision. :wroom:

·
Registered
917 Posts
I am not sure about porsche yet myself but I think M5 with its never ending pull is very difficult to match. Here is what I suggest you do:

Imagine, you are buying an M5 with 38K miles on odo, 2007 model year, specified to your liking. And the seller wants 38K. Would you go for it?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Certainly there are lots of questions like do you need four seats and a trunk etc which I'm presuming you've already answered. For me I really don't (no family) but I just like having a big V-10 four seater for some reason. I'm not a Porsche expert but in response to your one comment about dealing with future depreciation on the M5 - I would assume you've seen the worse part of that. Also - I'll assume you have an extended warranty and repairs/maintenance are equal. Getting out now (depending on when you got in) doesn't really do much for you. From a financial standpoint (if you like the cars equally) I would have to assume you would be seeing much worse depreciation on the Porsche than on the M5 - but like I said I don't know Porsche.

How much more do you think the M5 will depreciate and over what time period? I assume in a few years, after the F10 is out, these will be in the mid to high 20's USD - maybe close to what E39's are selling for. Anyone have insight on this? I'd like to know.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
-No need for 4 doors or large trunk (just me and the wife for now) so a coupe is no problem.
-Have X5 for large items and bad weather (no need for 4 door sedan)
-M5 is CPO and Extended Maintenance (the Porsche has 3 years of warranty but I pay maintenance)
-I have driven all the cars and quite frankly the TT is crazy fast but a little numb. The NA C4S and C2S are fantastic.
-Private sale is not going to happen with me. The delta between private and trade (including tax savings) is not enough for me to deal with it.

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
If you are getting the itch for something new, I would go for the 997 Turbo for sure. It feels considerably faster than the M5 under 120 mph, and it can be easily tuned for insane power if you start to get sick of it. I wouldn't go for the 4s, as it seems many who make this move from an M5 definitely miss the punch from the V10. Yeah, it's a 2010, but year has never meant much to me. I say find an impeccable 2007 997 Turbo (probably about $80k after you negotiate) and go for it, as long as you are thrilled with it on the test drive.

I've seen from your other threads that you have owned more than one E60 M5, and while it is an incredible car, I think the 997 Turbo is a logical successor.

afc1
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

·
Registered
321 Posts
My advice is to keep the M5, pay it off and in a couple of years get the 999TT, it makes financial sense. The game never ends.

If I was you, I would rather get a 500 bhp SUV to replace the RR rather than trade the M5

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you are getting the itch for something new, I would go for the 997 Turbo for sure. It feels considerably faster than the M5 under 120 mph, and it can be easily tuned for insane power if you start to get sick of it. I wouldn't go for the 4s, as it seems many who make this move from an M5 definitely miss the punch from the V10. Yeah, it's a 2010, but year has never meant much to me. I say find an impeccable 2007 997 Turbo (probably about $80k after you negotiate) and go for it, as long as you are thrilled with it on the test drive.

I've seen from your other threads that you have owned more than one E60 M5, and while it is an incredible car, I think the 997 Turbo is a logical successor.

afc1
<INPUT id=gwProxy type=hidden><!--Session data--><INPUT id=jsProxy onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" type=hidden>
I agree that the TT is a logical successor; however I have two (with a 3rd) issues with the TT as follows:

1) IMO, it looks a little over the top with the big wing, inlets, front spoiler, etc. Quite frankly its a supercar and a little (ok a lot) more than I need.
2) I enjoyed the NA driving feel of the C4S and C2S. The TT has a hydraulic assited clutch and felt artificial. Same thing with the steering. But, it is crazy fast......
3) I'm only 37 and have plenty of time for a TT (pending any future problems... knock wood).

I'm probably going to sit tight through the summer and keep my eye on prices etc. and take it from there.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My advice is to keep the M5, pay it off and in a couple of years get the 999TT, it makes financial sense. The game never ends.

If I was you, I would rather get a 500 bhp SUV to replace the RR rather than trade the M5
RR is gone. Need to update my signature which I don't see as I turned them off on my settings. Replaced with 2011 X5 35i as DD. Getting almost 20MPG.

Probabaly going to sit tight (but who knows what could happen on a nice spring Saturday)

·
Registered
65 Posts
I love my M5 with a passion, but if i would do it all again i would have gotten a 997 porsche, you got good taste my friend......The M5 is just more practical for me at the moment.

Reactions: BGm5er

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
I agree that the TT is a logical successor; however I have two (with a 3rd) issues with the TT as follows:

1) IMO, it looks a little over the top with the big wing, inlets, front spoiler, etc. Quite frankly its a supercar and a little (ok a lot) more than I need.
2) I enjoyed the NA driving feel of the C4S and C2S. The TT has a hydraulic assited clutch and felt artificial. Same thing with the steering. But, it is crazy fast......
3) I'm only 37 and have plenty of time for a TT (pending any future problems... knock wood).

I'm probably going to sit tight through the summer and keep my eye on prices etc. and take it from there.
I know what you mean about the Turbo being slightly numb compared to other 911s (even though the turbo is stupid fast). I'd say as long as the power in the C2S/C4S does not feel too inferior to the M5, it may be a good car for you. They are very nice, and they sound incredible with that sport exhaust!

The only thing I'd say about the Turbo regarding waiting a long time for one down the line is that many enthusiasts say the 997.1 Turbo is particularly special because it is the last Turbo using the dry sump GT1 engine. I honestly don't know what they are on about (except for the idea that they say it is a particularly bulletproof platform), but this may be a good time to pick up such a great 911 Turbo. Take a look at 6speedonline.com, as they have some threads about the 997.1 vs the 997.2 Turbo, and members there can better explain the significance of the motor in the 997.1.

Lastly, I disagree about the looks of the Turbo...I absolutely love it! However, I don't know how the roads are in New Jersey, but in Boston it is hard to drive a 911 Turbo because it sits too low and avoiding potholes can be hard work.

afc1

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
You should do what I did and get an M6. Still keeping the NA V10, but something new and different. Plus there are insane deals on 2010 M6s.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts