BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,419 Posts
ALEV8 said:
$499 v. $990 WTF? Discuss..........I can't decide.
Yes you can, your just being a Tightwad. hiha J/K

A hyundai is cheaper than a BMW WTF? Same logic.

Powerchip mop the floor with Dinan in Software. :cheers:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,289 Posts
I've said it once and ive said it more than once across multiple internet message forums...you youself could not know anything about software tuning and still tune a car better than dinan.

Powerchips is the way and it is the future... While the looking solely at the price does make it a difficult decision, look behind the price (you know what i mean) and this is an easy decision.

This comming from one of the man that went from dinan to powerchips and would not even take dinan software on our cars if it was given to us for free.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,419 Posts
That means more coming from a man who is advertising a Dinan avatar. hiha

I can see Dinan picking up the Powerchip software in the future.

Their Brakes are brembo rebadged, the suspesion is Koni, and I can see their Software being Powerchip.

Its makes good business sense, and Steve Dinan has never been accussed of being a bad business man.

I guess there is just too much red tape at present.

If they do pick up Powerchip, it will definitly liven up the S2's mmmmmm That would make a Good Car GREAT.

Come on Steve, Pick up the phone and give Wayne a Call. Its a great partnership in the waiting.
Only when beneift is mutual , can co-operation truely exist. (Chin-ning Chu)


MJ
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,419 Posts
SC'dKellenersM5 said:
im glad that you see it as a joke...ive been asked about it about a 1000 times.
I know your character. I have your number pal. hiha
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,449 Posts
ALEV8 said:
$499 v. $990 WTF? Discuss..........I can't decide.
I wish I had the factual and technical answers for you.Maybe call each company and ask them to explain, and then let us know what you have come up with and why.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,625 Posts
Rob,

Actually, the Dinan software isn't too bad. It does exactly what it's advertised to do and that is remove governor and raise limiter to 7300RPM, all for a reasonable price.

I beleive that Powerchip is a great product, and for those looking for more than what was mentioned above should pursue Powerchip. The customer service and ability to modify to a customers needs are both excellent.

So, there is no "better" chip, in my opinion. It depends on what the owner is looking for and values. Does he want a trouble free warranty and a removed limiter, or does he want to squeeze out more performance from a proven software company?

Travis
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,469 Posts
I had Dinan chip in my M5 before I sprang for the Power Chip. Best $$$$ I've ever spent on my M5. So either the PC is worth $1,500 to me, or the Dinan chip is worth $0. I'm thinking the latter, and I'm not alone.

CP
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,678 Posts
I have Dinan software on my '03. It works in conjuction with their CF CAI, their
High Flow MAFS and their 3.45 Diff. I had the Stage II and changed to Stage III.

I really like the way the car performs.

I inquirred about the other Software company and apparently one of the bosses took exception to something I said in a thread over a year and he REFUSES to sell me their software for any of cars.

I inquirred about installing their transmission & engine software for my 8-Series and they continue their negative plight. I get on my knees for no one!

Life ... as well as Performance ... certainly does go on WITHOUT their software!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,419 Posts
jimmyz2 said:
I wish I had the factual and technical answers for you.Maybe call each company and ask them to explain, and then let us know what you have come up with and why.
Jimmyz2 and Alev8,

I remember a long long time ago seeing something technical on it.

It was beyond my understanding, but the basis of it was like computers.

Dinan's software, Or the guy who did it, used a Dos based system. It is way outdated and very limited capabilities.

Whereas Powerchip has a Windows based System that has infinitly greater capabilities.

I love Dinan Products. I have some and will buy more.

But I will never pay any money for Really OLD Technology.

Do you still have a Dos 6.22 Computer? Or are you running XP ?

Same deal. I understand Dinan are not software specialists. They cannot have cutting edge everything. They would never recoup R & D.

So sometimes its good just to stick with what you have and keep the $$$ rolling in. Rather than updating all the time.

Where as Software is all Powerchip do, they have the latest and greatest everything.

You now can add to their development,the ability to customise your idle, to illiminate roll over noise from Uber Clutches.

When is the last time Dinan Upgraded their software?

1999 When the Beast was released ? Powerchip continually update theirs.

Old Technology vs Cutting edge.

There is no comparison. Dos vs XP.

Hey Ed,

Sometimes in life its good for us to eat a small serving of humble pie. Take care pal. :cheers:

MJ
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
784 Posts
Which is better…..

Two different products and two different approaches to business.

The Dinan software has been quoted as being more than it is when used in the E39 M5. This quote is typically made by the soliciting party, the BMW dealership. When in fact it is as was depicted by another within this thread. A very limited change that for most will offer no measurable change.

PowerChip on the other hand is the mark for chip tuners to aspire to. They are available on a direct basis, they listen and then develop and or implement changes that are requested rather than simply present a come one come all service.

I would summarize PowerChip this way “THEY CARE”, and truly want to be a part of the experience you are considering.

We work together on projects and they are ALL great people.

Shadowman
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
184 Posts
Does anyone prefer stock over the Dinan software? I ask because my M5 already had the Dinan software installed, and given some of the responses on this thread I'm wondering if I wouldn't be better off reverting to the stock software. The car is stock otherwise, and upgarding to Powerchip is probably not an option at the moment.

Thanks.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,449 Posts
WannaM5 said:
Does anyone prefer stock over the Dinan software? I ask because my M5 already had the Dinan software installed, and given some of the responses on this thread I'm wondering if I wouldn't be better off reverting to the stock software. The car is stock otherwise, and upgarding to Powerchip is probably not an option at the moment.

Thanks.
When in doubt,why not call the tuner and ask them.Get their point of view even if it will be biased.I use forums to get different points of view so I can form my own opinion.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
184 Posts
I actually did talk to the tuner about the specs and purported benefits of the software, and I agree with you that it was useful even though clearly biased. I did not, however, ask them if anyone prefers the car without it as their answer would be a given and I think not particularly useful.

jimmyz2 said:
When in doubt,why not call the tuner and ask them.Get their point of view even if it will be biased.I use forums to get different points of view so I can form my own opinion.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have been driving the new M5 a few days and in it's stock condition I can't find anything wrng with the suspension, or power. The Sport button is AWESOME. I will be dropping in the new UUC Evo and X2 shear s.rod on Tues. Otherwise better than expected and even a bit freaky! I decided to add my x-pipe too, just not loud enough with center resonator in and Eisenmanns...it's going in on Mon. Maybe intakes next? Who knows? I guess I am changing everything!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,449 Posts
WannaM5 said:
I actually did talk to the tuner about the specs and purported benefits of the software, and I agree with you that it was useful even though clearly biased. I did not, however, ask them if anyone prefers the car without it as their answer would be a given and I think not particularly useful.
Might I suggest then a dyno session?See with your own eyes the results.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
10,461 Posts
Not to slam powerchip (i have it in my car) but dinan did have the ability to adjust the M5's idle years ago, and it was part of their "clutch software" to raise the idle speed to 900 rpm, so we ought to give dinan credit for that! It took powerchip a couple years to change idle speed.

That said, you pay your money to powerchip, and they will bend over backwards to help you out when you need upgrades in the future. They are a great group of enthusiasts.
Mike

MIB said:
You now can add to their development,the ability to customise your idle, to illiminate roll over noise from Uber Clutches.

When is the last time Dinan Upgraded their software?

MJ
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,419 Posts
jimmyz2 said:
Might I suggest then a dyno session?See with your own eyes the results.
Chps are not about a Dyno number.

Neither company claim much HP. I think Dinan don't claim any increase.

They are about way more than a few HP.

Its driving pleaseure....feel...response....silky smooth....faultless power. Not increased Power, but you do get some with PC.

Its more about Raised rev limiter, No Speed limiter, throttle response and now increased idle.

They are the largest benefits and make the chip worth doing by themselves. None of that can be measured on a dyno.

But if you search hard enough, you will find memebrs that drove each others cars before and after.

No matter who drove the Powerchipped car, that one WON, everytime.

So by that alone, says the chip makes the car REAL World Faster.

By all means waste money paying for a dyno, but what number are you looking for?

5,10, 15 HP. At what number will you be happy? Chips are not about a dyno number.

If you want that, Add Headers first, then do your chip. cherrsagai
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,419 Posts
mottati said:
Not to slam powerchip (i have it in my car) but dinan did have the ability to adjust the M5's idle years ago, and it was part of their "clutch software" to raise the idle speed to 900 rpm, so we ought to give dinan credit for that! It took powerchip a couple years to change idle speed.

That said, you pay your money to powerchip, and they will bend over backwards to help you out when you need upgrades in the future. They are a great group of enthusiasts.
Mike
Yes Mike true,

There chip did raise it, but it was by default.

Powerchip can customise to any level you want, for a select and desired purpose.

You can't ask Dinan to raise it to where you want. Its a one sock fits all deal. :M5launch:
 
1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Top