BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I was fortunate enough to finally pick up my 2002 TiSi M5 with 64K miles yesterday. The car is almost 1 owner car (current owner since car had 6000 miles and 11 months old). It came with service records and a clean bill of health (some recommendations for service in he future) from an INdy shop.
I drove it from NJ to NC yesterday and it performed as a 64K well cared for beast should. It is clean inside out, never even had touch up paint let alone any body damage and the interior is as good a new (slight wear on the driver seat bolster). The car wonders a bit on uneven/bad roads and Center link replacement is one of the recommended repairs on the pre-purchase list so I am guessing the steering play (about 1/4") is probably due to the center link.

Ok, now the troubling part. I was told about all services performed till now via email/phone conversations which included most recent trip to the Indy (well known in NJ) for Thrust bushing, Brake booster and T-stat.
Once I got home I was studying the invoices in detail and found that the brake booster was replaced after the customer complained of "Check engine light". When codes were pulled, there were errors for engine misfires "due to moisture pulled into the engine" due to the usual brake booster water clog issue. The Brake booster was replaced and engine oil was flushed which resulted in clearing of the codes.

I am not too familiar with the brake booster issue and do not know how much of bad news this really is. Am I now driving around a time bomb that has had water damage?
The car purrs like new at idle or at throttle. Pulls extremely hard and didnt miss a beat of the 539 mile journey.

Please let me know if there is something else I need to have checked.
I will be calling the Indy shop who performed the repairs so I can get more details.

As you can imagine this has put a slight damper on my "new car" excitement.

Will post pictures later in the day.

Thank you

·
Registered
924 Posts
What is "TiSi"?

Edit: I have not had my Coffee this morning. I get it now.

Anyway good luck with the new beast. I am sure you will get it sorted!

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
What is "TiSi"?

Edit: I have not had my Coffee this morning. I get it now.

Anyway good luck with the new beast. I am sure you will get it sorted!
Should read TiAg (Periodic Table abbriviations for Titanium Silver) A lot of owners write TiSi, when it really should be TiAg.......

Congrats on the new car OP.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
I don't have specific info about the S62 engine and brake booster water problems, but using general automotive knowledge I would say not to worry too much. There may be doomsday sayers that warn of potential problems that happened to .1% of cars with the problem, but I can't see a reason to worry about it. Enjoy the car sounds like you got a good one!

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
Water in the brake booster is not uncommon, it's caused by a drain that gets blocked, if the booster has been replaced it's nothing to worry about. I don't see the link between this and the check engine light though, it's more likely to be related to the thermostat if it was runing too cold.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Water in the brake booster is not uncommon, it's caused by a drain that gets blocked, if the booster has been replaced it's nothing to worry about. I don't see the link between this and the check engine light though, it's more likely to be related to the thermostat if it was runing too cold.
Exactly, the brake booster issues sounds independent of the CEL, but the thermostat may havebeen the cause of the issue under these circumstances.

Oh and huge congrats, hope to see the new beast Sat!!!

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all, it really is nice to have my own beast and it is everything I expected (the clutch will take some getting used to)

Correction/Update:

After much back and forth this morning, I have a clearer story from the horse's mouth i e the technician/Indy who worked on the car.
He claims that there was SES due to T-Stat and due to Engine misfire on multiple cylinders. The Technician checked and found evidence of moisture under the booster. He pulled all plugs and checked oil and did not see any evidence of "milkshake" in oil or water evidence around plugs. the oil was then drained and no substantial/noticeable water was found in the oil.

Although an oil change was JUST done, I plan to order two things ASAP, 1) Peake reader 2) oil analysis kit.
I will do an oil change next weekend and send the oil out for analysis.

Question:

The Indy in NJ suggested I get both the tie rods and the Center link done when the car goes under the knife. He said he always changes the tie rods when doing Center link. You guys agree?
I was quoted $1400 for the center link/tie rod job, what do you think of the price?

Thank you

·
Registered
150 Posts
Congratulations! Brake booster is no big deal. My car had the booster replaced under warranty at the four year 34,000 mile point according to my paperwork, so no big deal. T-stat can cause all kinds of problems, but normally it just makes the engine run cooler and throws some weird codes. Mine gave a catalytic converter and misfire code before I replaced it, probably because the engine was running rich at the cooler temp. I was amazed at how much difference a new working thermostat made in my performance. As you will find out, having a Peake Reader and with the knowledge on this board, you'll save tons of money if something happens. Sounds like you got a good one!

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Added pics

·
Registered
848 Posts
Car looks clean and i agree do not worry about the booster/t-stat if they had been replaced. I would say replace the tie-rods with the center link but are you sure its needed at only 64k? Last time I did them about a month ago parts were about $300 + $100 or so for an alignment and pretty easy to install them so if you DIY you can easy save $1000.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Congrats on purchase!! I'm also a new M5 owner in the Raleigh area. I may have to head to cars and coffee tomorrow to get a feel for the local crew!

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Car looks clean and i agree do not worry about the booster/t-stat if they had been replaced. I would say replace the tie-rods with the center link but are you sure its needed at only 64k? Last time I did them about a month ago parts were about $300 + $100 or so for an alignment and pretty easy to install them so if you DIY you can easy save $1000.

The Indy shot said the center link needs to be replaced soon. The steering has almost 1/2 inch of play in it,, from what I have read its most probably the center link.
The car is from NJ, I drove the car in NJ yesterday and couldn't believe some of the roads, no wonder the car needs a center link (the front wheel bearings were also replaced this year by the PO.

You are probably right about the T-stat and the brake booster. I was just alarmed by the words "moisture probably sucked in engine via booster hose". I hope its nothing.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Couple more pics

·
Registered
376 Posts
Congrats on purchase!! I'm also a new M5 owner in the Raleigh area. I may have to head to cars and coffee tomorrow to get a feel for the local crew!
You should do so, we are meeting tomorrow at Panera bread for breakfast at 8:00 from there we will be going across the street to Camilles

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Congrats on the new car! I see your name pop up occasionally in the "for sale" threads (or your WTB thread) and because of the Raleigh location, I remember it.

If you haven't already found a shop that you trust, I'd suggest "Shade Tree Garage" in North Raleigh (Shade Tree Garage Indepenent BMW Service in Raleigh, NC) for basic services such as your front-end work. Truett's a great guy and he'll save you a lot of money.

PM me if you need more info.

Hopefully I'll see you and some of the other local M5 owners at Brier Creek next year. Usually there's not much of a BMW showing, which is a shame.

Michael

1 - 18 of 18 Posts