BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After driving my 2002 X50 since 2003, and putting 80,000 miles on her...all fantastic, I took advantage of the current market and picked up this gem of a GT2. She's silver on Black, very basic spec. still smells new. All I can say is that I'm in love...What a machine!

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I need to take some good photos. Here is the old car. I am going to put these Kinesis wheels on the GT2. They are not quite the perfect fitment but they will work for street driving. I'll post some more when I get em on.

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This poor GT2 only traveled 10,000 miles since it was born 10 years ago! Had an integrated battery charger! The poor baby sat in the dark for years, hooked up to life support. What CRAP! Never again. So now it gets a proper owner. I actually drive my cars....the way they are meant to be driven. And she loves it! I've done 1,500 miles already and numerous runs up to 160 (on a closed course :D ) This baby is a complete German Rocket sled...Loves to really pull past about 4700 rpm's, but when you start hitting 5000-6000 those twin turbos just keep the power coming on. Geezus...I'm smitten. She'll now live the good life...Canyons on Saturday mornings, car meets, a few PCA DE's here and there, maybe a trip out to Laguna Seca. Ferdinand would be proud.

·
Registered
329 Posts
This poor GT2 only traveled 10,000 miles since it was born 10 years ago! Had an integrated battery charger! The poor baby sat in the dark for years, hooked up to life support. What CRAP! Never again. So now it gets a proper owner. I actually drive my cars....the way they are meant to be driven. And she loves it! I've done 1,500 miles already and numerous runs up to 160 (on a closed course :D ) This baby is a complete German Rocket sled...Loves to really pull past about 4700 rpm's, but when you start hitting 5000-6000 those twin turbos just keep the power coming on. Geezus...I'm smitten. She'll now live the good life...Canyons on Saturday mornings, car meets, a few PCA DE's here and there, maybe a trip out to Laguna Seca. Ferdinand would be proud.
Amazing find!
1K/yr
Might want to replace hoses & belts.
Seems every penny you put into this one will pay out in enjoyment.
It sures pays to know what you like and take time to find it.
Keep us updated on this one.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yup, good idea on the hoses and belts. Need to get those checked, or just replaced. I did the basics, oil service, tranny and diff, air filter, tinted the windows and had a clear bra put on the front area to keep the Colorado gravel from chipping the nose. She really is something and last of the breed....You'll never be able to step up again and buy a rear drive Porsche with 456hp and NO TRACTION CONTROL....Takes a steady hand for sure...She is harder to drive than the old 996 Turbo, but when you hook it up right in a corner and feed in throttle, and feel that diff grab the pavement and send you flying...Damn, it's good.

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
VERY nice! Well done.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey M55555,

Thanks...I have a question for you...Noticed your mods list. Did your Supersprint headers give you a noticable boost in power/torque....Do you feel it mainly up in the high end of the band or all over...I've been thinking about headers....

Reactions: M55555

·
Registered
707 Posts
good choice. ;) but keep the wheels you have now, they look better and are classic porsche. :D

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Hey M55555,

Thanks...I have a question for you...Noticed your mods list. Did your Supersprint headers give you a noticable boost in power/torque....Do you feel it mainly up in the high end of the band or all over...I've been thinking about headers....
The SS headers, being 4-1, gave me a substantial boost in both power/torque in the upperband, above 4.5K RPM (+25whp peak on dyno). Those who drove my car comment on how when it reaches that RPM it just pulls, hard.

Now, I did lose a bit of torque in the midrange, from 3-4K RPM. I compensated for this by getting a tune from Powerchip, which added roughly 20whp in the mid range.

Dinan headers, which are 4-2-1, produce a more broad-based power increase. However, I am completely happy with the route I took :)

If you'd like I can PM/email you my dyno charts.

Reactions: Bubba M5

·
Registered
149 Posts
sweet car!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Whatever you do please do not put those wheels on the GT2!
Now it seems we have a couple here that don't like those wheels. Men, I'll admit they are a little bit blingy (is that a word?) with the polished finish, but they are proper old school Kinesis 3 piece wheels. I've seen those bolted up to many a club racer. OK, so what do you guys like? Stock turbo twists are fine...a little pedestrian....actually kind of boring...Not a lot of choices for this car unless you get something custom built up...Any good recommendations?

·
Registered
704 Posts
Put on whatever you like. It is your ride.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Now it seems we have a couple here that don't like those wheels. Men, I'll admit they are a little bit blingy (is that a word?) with the polished finish, but they are proper old school Kinesis 3 piece wheels. I've seen those bolted up to many a club racer. OK, so what do you guys like? Stock turbo twists are fine...a little pedestrian....actually kind of boring...Not a lot of choices for this car unless you get something custom built up...Any good recommendations?
I think they are too bling. Considering this is a GT2 you should go for something which doesn't have that polished finish.

·
Registered
62 Posts
After driving my 2002 X50 since 2003, and putting 80,000 miles on her...all fantastic, I took advantage of the current market and picked up this gem of a GT2. She's silver on Black, very basic spec. still smells new. All I can say is that I'm in love...What a machine!

Could you get the rims like that?

1 - 20 of 63 Posts