BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted earlier about a 2000 that I wasn't sure about buying. Well, I finally talked myself into it and during discussions with the seller (it's a long-distance buy) and he admitted that there is curb rash. He sent me pics (I'll try to upload them) and it looks terrible.

Initially, I thought -- no problem, knock off $1k and I will use them for my snow wheels, however I am not certain I can fit snow tires on the rear stock wheels. The tirerack's website was searching for 275 width snow tires and there aren't any. Will 245 fit on the 10" wheels?

Or should I just deduct the cost of four new stock wheels from my offer?

Would BBS RGR gunmetal look good on Royal Red?

What to do?:confused:

·
Registered
12,865 Posts
noflash said:
I posted earlier about a 2000 that I wasn't sure about buying. Well, I finally talked myself into it and during discussions with the seller (it's a long-distance buy) and he admitted that there is curb rash. He sent me pics (I'll try to upload them) and it looks terrible.

Initially, I thought -- no problem, knock off $1k and I will use them for my snow wheels, however I am not certain I can fit snow tires on the rear stock wheels. The tirerack's website was searching for 275 width snow tires and there aren't any. Will 245 fit on the 10" wheels?

Or should I just deduct the cost of four new stock wheels from my offer?

Would BBS RGR gunmetal look good on Royal Red?

What to do?:confused:
For snow tires, you want narrower. You might be able to use 18's, like the 18x8 fronts, but I think most folks use 17's, something like 245-35/17 or perhaps narrower.
The wheels can be refinished, but not many people have had good luck matching the factory finish. If you are doing all 4, they will match each other, so that might work for you. Figure $150-$200 or so per wheel to refinish. Do a search, you should find some threads. Stock wheels are prob about $550 for the rears, a little less for the fronts. Try Pacific BMW, many board members have gotten good prices and service, and if you are a BMW CCA member, a lot of dealers give you a discount of 10-20%.
Congrats on your new purchase!
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
400 Posts
You really do need different wheels for snow tires on the M5. As narrow as possible for good performance.

For the snow rims you are on your own.

Why do you think you are entitled to 4 new wheels at the sellers expense? It's not a new car, its 4 years old. Of course, you can try anything while negotiating, but keep that in mind if he balks at your seggestion, and have an alternate plan in hand.

Have you had anyone local to that car go and take a look at it yet? Might be worthwhile.

In any case welcome to the club, these cars are just wonderful.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies.

I think the answer is to buy a set of snows and wheels from tirerack and have the stock wheels refinished.

As far as negotiations, I feel confident that he'll credit me some for travel expenses and to refinish the wheels. I don't think that is out of line.

I hope to make final negotiations tomorrow and hopefully pick it up this weekend. Thanks everyone for all your good advice and kind welcomes. I will follow up.

:wroom:

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Thats unbelieveable those wheels must know every curb in the city.
Or was the driver in a highspeed police chase where they used a spikestrip to blow the tyres out.hiha

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
6spd said:
Thats unbelieveable those wheels must know every curb in the city.
Or was the driver in a highspeed police chase where they used a spikestrip to blow the tyres out.hiha
I was thinking the same thing. Some people who cant keep cars off curbs at 1 mph shouldnt drive cars that can go 180...
:cheers:
BTW, good luck with the purchase!

·
Registered
7,533 Posts
The pictured wheel looks like tire installer error, or it had a tire installed on a cheap-o machine.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Buy a replacment set for the winter tires and have those wheels refinished. I had mine chromed........

I sent my wheels here and they did a great job at a very reasonable price!
Robert

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
No idea of leaving a potantial buy just for the reason, the wheels are curb rash...
Here in Finland all M5 (with a few exeptions) have curb rashes, probably because Women etc have been driving them. My M5, has the passenger side messed up pretty bad. I'm thinking of fixing it to the summer. Probably also powder coating them.

The M5'a original wheels are so nice, and fits the car perfectly, so I'm gonna keep mine around the year. Simply love the design.

Buy the car if it's a nice example, the rims can be fixed for 500-1000bucks, so just try to get the seller to fix them or pull the 1k from the price, he will probably do it.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Hey noflash.

Had the same thing with the M5 I purchased. It was from a dealer, so I had them refinish as part of the deal. They use some guy that has a setup in his large trailer. He travels to site, pops wheels off the car, and refinishes. Did a stellar job, just like new. I think he charges the dealership about $150/rim. If you can knock off a few bucks on the purchase price, get them refinished, as the stock rims look great.

All the best in your new purchase.

//vic

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
I'd go with the chrome job, That looks real nice.

B

·
0 Posts
Congrats!

Although the photo shows extensive curb rash, it neither looks deep nor wide.

It is virtually impossible to match the OE chrome shadow paint when refinishing/repainting. It can be close, but not perfect.

Cheers, Daniel.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Haha, then call me pimp daddy cause mine are chromed also and they look great on titanium silver. Kid says its just the right amount of "bling" to be cool.

Granted , it's a pain to keep them sparkling, but when they do sparkle, oh boy, my buttometer says it's good for at least 10 hp.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
noflash said:
If you haven't yet purchased snow wheels, I have a suggestion. The Borbet Type E in 17"x8" ($149 each at Tire Rack) will clear the M5's brakes and works well with 235/45-17 Bridgestone Blizzak WS-50 snow tires. This is the combo to use if you need to be able to go ANYWHERE regardless of the condition of the roads. If you aren't willing to give up that much dry handling, then the Blizzak LM-22 tires are a good choice. The wheels are out of stock at Tire Rack until next week, the tires are still in stock.

Surprisingly, these 17" Borbet Type E wheels will also clear a big brake kit.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks all for the great replies.

I did find a local shop to refinish the wheels. Their website has an example of some M3 wheels they refinished and they look like new. The seller knocked off the cost of refinishing them.

I do plan on getting my snows from the tirerack and I love the simple and cheap Borbet Type E. I am going to have to do research on the tires though. I have Blizzack WS-15s on both my 328i and 323it and they are less than ideal. I think they are already past their 50% prime and their dry traction is horrendous. I think I need a compromise.

Also,I think the deal for the car is on. Virtual Bank has shipped our packages to fill out. I won't be able to fly out this weekend, so I will probably go the following.

Can you believe "MMMMM" is taken for a license plate in Nebraska!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
**** it all to hell. I just cancelled the deal. The seller actually said, "your kidding".

I feel like I am going to hurl.

I am taking the "smart and practical" approach and paying off other bills first.

I don't know if I'll find this great of a deal again.

2000 M5, 44k miles, Royal Red, CPO, all options (I think), K40, and aftermarket amps and subs in rear deck.

$34,500

All it needed was refinished wheels.

Today is a dark day.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Dont beat yourself up too bad, it's just a car and others will come along. Sorry to hear the deal didnt go through. Best wishes finding another good one!
:cheers:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts