BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
This so called friend of his must not be a member here otherwise he would know how to fix a few of repairs and save some bucks sad to see it go for so cheap.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Worn out brakes and a clutch costs money to replace? Who would have thought!

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
It has served him faithfully for 92,000 miles. Of course, the check engine light was on for half those miles.
:rofl:

The result? After more than 12 years with one owner, this M5 has been sold to CarMax, who will inevitably dump it at auction to some used-car dealer that's looking to make a quick profit. If you run across it, I have some advice: test drive. But don't buy.
:eek: used-car dealers are looking to make a profit :eek: I thought they were social service organizations.

It looks like the point of the story is that it is cool not to know anything about how a car works.

PLEASE NOTE THAT I DO NOT OWN AN M5 AND THIS POST IS NOT INTENDED TO BE ARROGANT. PLEASE READ THE IMPORTANT REVISED DISCLAIMER THAT APPLIES TO THIS POST

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Wait, clutches and brakes have to be replaced periodically? :eek:oohhh::eek:

Sounds to me like he had $2-3K of actual work to be done and decided he wanted a new car. I'm always amused at the reasons people use to convince themselves to buy a new car. I've known several people who have traded in perfectly fine cars because the battery died (after 4-5 yrs!) and they couldn't "justify putting that kind of money into the car". :3:

·
Registered
244 Posts
that was annoying to watch and the original owner shouldnt have neglected the car so much and maybe it wouldn't have a 9k stealership repair bill.

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
Why are you all butthurt about the maintenance costs? We all know that this isn't a Civic. Even then, preventative maintenance would've added up to the same amount of money anyways. I don't even want to do the math of how much I've spent on maintenance in the 7 years that I've had the car.

Reactions: AGM5

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Nice to see nimrods giving their cars away. Makes them cheaper for us. That seller paid the stupid tax. Can't believe he'd own it for 10 years and not come here for advice. I'd pay 15k for that thing in a heartbeat.

edit: I posted a comment on that article.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Well, not everybody uses logic and reasoning. Some people see $$$ and decided that it is better worth their money to dump an nearly perfect condition running product for something brand new and no depreciated at all.

I am happy for those people because that means there are some awesome used cars for sale for relatively little.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Pretty cool video. However, anyone who has > $8K of acute repairs needs a new mechanic - that is nuts. I've been daily driving my M5 for almost 10 years and while I certainly am ultra-compulsive about maintenance it has been exceptionally reliable.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Nice to see nimrods giving their cars away. Makes them cheaper for us. That seller paid the stupid tax. Can't believe he'd own it for 10 years and not come here for advice. I'd pay 15k for that thing in a heartbeat.

edit: I posted a comment on that article.
You posted a reply on my original comment! It's sad how little that owner apparently thought of his M5. You'd think that after 12 years there would be some attachment there to keep it in good condition and find it a good home.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I done all the problems he listed to my car Diy. Doesn't cost this much. $100 break pads, few Dollars rubber rings for bolts securing valve covers and no more leak, differential leak I did at Michanic. Washer fluid pump $20 from ebay. I should have bought this car. I'd pay him 15000 for it. Very nice clean low milage. I still think it's the best looking classic car ever made. Other cars have same problems but they are so ****ty that you don't care and we drive them to ground and we don't fix them. The m5 can run forever with cel on and leaking oil from every where but the car is just too nice to drive it with any issue. Ok now I have to to change my break pads vi don't like my dusty ones and I only buy the best for my car because I love it while my honda I change the pads when I hear the metal scraping my friction disks :)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
301 Posts
Love the comedy in the video.

On another note, he said "leaking cylinder head gasket leaking oil into the engine", now that says to me, depending on oil consumption, it could be the normal consumption we are all aware of or it could be a serious issue. All the other issues are irrelevant. Change the brakes and keep driving :M5launch:

·
Registered
554 Posts
$4,000 Cat job looming? The dealer doesn't really charge that much do they? You could almost get full performance headers and cats installed for that.

·
Registered
12,891 Posts
$4,000 Cat job looming? The dealer doesn't really charge that much do they? You could almost get full performance headers and cats installed for that.
They do. Which is why no one in their right mind would use the BMW OE cat unless it was covered by warranty. And that assumes the cats were bad, I don't know how you can tell the cats will need replacing "soon" unless you can hear the substrate breaking up. If so, you need the cats now.

Better high performance aftermarket cats can be had for about $500 each, stock replacement cats about half. Welding is a 30-45 minute stay at the local muffler shop. Unplug O2's, cut out old cats, and weld new cats in place, plug O2's back in.

Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
OK, so basically the point of the article is if you can't afford to drive an M5 then don't buy? Who would have thought of that? hiha.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts