BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, new to the forum. I currently don't have an M5, but I do love them. I have been debating on whether to sell my 03 540i6 and upgrade to an M5. My car has 18,500 miles and does not get much use. It is garaged in the winter and bad weather and only gets used on some weekends during the spring fall and summer. I guess it's a garage queen. Always busy doing things around the house and enjoying my Harley as well. There is just not enough time in the day. Anyway, I am thinking that I can buy a M5 for the same reasons I have my 540i6 now. Initially I thought I would be driving it more so decided on the 540i6 instead of an M5. Now I might as well have an M5 to put a smile on my face when I walk into the garage and when I take her out. I have seen many for sale with less than 60,000 miles for decent prices. I am scared of maintenance and upkeep though for the M5. I am a DIY for oil changes, brakes and minor jobs, but that's it. I love the fact that I have low miles and feel that that car will last me years with regular maintenance and loving care. I don't know, I am just posting to get some advice from you M5 owners. You guys seem very nice and helpful on the forums. Thanks for any feedback.

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
if you drive that little the M5 and 540 will have essentially identical maintance costs on a per-year basis.

or, you could bring the 540 out for a track day - they move alright and allow you to realize that they make plenty enough power to get you into trouble.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
with that less driving i would stick with the 540i,

·
Registered
142 Posts
with that less driving i would stick with the 540i,
i agree with rvt1000 i own a 540i/6 and just got a m5 and i can say that around town and say under 4000rpm they feel very simillar. The 540 has alot of low end torque and that is what gives the butt dyno feel of power. I would say mod your 540i and save your $.
your 540 has such low milage to find a m5 with simillar milage you would have to pay 2 or even 3 times what your 540 is worth. Just not worth it.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Hey guys, new to the forum. I currently don't have an M5, but I do love them. I have been debating on whether to sell my 03 540i6 and upgrade to an M5. My car has 18,500 miles and does not get much use. It is garaged in the winter and bad weather and only gets used on some weekends during the spring fall and summer. I guess it's a garage queen. Always busy doing things around the house and enjoying my Harley as well. There is just not enough time in the day. Anyway, I am thinking that I can buy a M5 for the same reasons I have my 540i6 now. Initially I thought I would be driving it more so decided on the 540i6 instead of an M5. Now I might as well have an M5 to put a smile on my face when I walk into the garage and when I take her out. I have seen many for sale with less than 60,000 miles for decent prices. I am scared of maintenance and upkeep though for the M5. I am a DIY for oil changes, brakes and minor jobs, but that's it. I love the fact that I have low miles and feel that that car will last me years with regular maintenance and loving care. I don't know, I am just posting to get some advice from you M5 owners. You guys seem very nice and helpful on the forums. Thanks for any feedback.
For what its worth..........if you have an itch....scratch it!!!!

Buy an M5!!

Reactions: blackxs
1 - 7 of 7 Posts