BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone ~ I did search before post my thread. Couldnt find my answer !!!

{Symptoms}

during a very slow 3mph ~ 1mph TURN diff makes very clear audioble sound!!! It soulds like metal rattling sound ~ also

I can feel the vibration!!

During my exhasut work, I checked my Diff very THOURRLY !!!! for any leaks around seal and looked for any unsusal stuff !! But it looked

very clean.

My dealer recetly changed diff oil to this

"Final-drive gear oil MSP/A. BMW Parts Num : 83229407870"

They told me they do not have 75W - 140 !! They onlt have 75W - 120 and this is what they receive from germany.

Could this have caused some trouble ??????

Is it SAFE to drive a car with diff not healty ???? Is my diff dying ?????

·
Registered
735 Posts
The chatter is most likely from the incorrect diff oil. The diff oil that they used probably contains no friction modifier additives which limited-slip diffs need.

·
Registered
12,965 Posts
Hello everyone ~ I did search before post my thread. Couldnt find my answer !!!

{Symptoms}

during a very slow 3mph ~ 1mph TURN diff makes very clear audioble sound!!! It soulds like metal rattling sound ~ also

I can feel the vibration!!

During my exhasut work, I checked my Diff very THOURRLY !!!! for any leaks around seal and looked for any unsusal stuff !! But it looked

very clean.

My dealer recetly changed diff oil to this

"Final-drive gear oil MSP/A. BMW Parts Num : 83229407870"

They told me they do not have 75W - 140 !! They onlt have 75W - 120 and this is what they receive from germany.

Could this have caused some trouble ??????

Is it SAFE to drive a car with diff not healty ???? Is my diff dying ?????

From another discussion on this board:

Part number 83229407870 was superseded by part number 83221470080
So I doubt is it the wrong weight, I think your dealer doesn't know what he is talking about!

I would be more concerned about making sure he got the right amount in. Easy to check: level car, open fill plug and the oil should be right to the top. It if is below more than say a 1/8 inch, then you need to add more. Add until it starts to dribble out, then tighten plug to torque spec required. That info should be on this board.

Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

So I doubt is it the wrong weight, I think your dealer doesn't know what he is talking about!

I would be more concerned about making sure he got the right amount in. Easy to check: level car, open fill plug and the oil should be right to the top. It if is below more than say a 1/8 inch, then you need to add more. Add until it starts to dribble out, then tighten plug to torque spec required. That info should be on this board.

Regards,
Jerry
So jerry, did my BMW oil had special additive in it ?? Now I had my diff oil changed it to MOTUL and when the shop was changing it

there were some shaved metal particles came out along with oil. Why would this happen ? even with the right weight oil ???

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Regards,
Jerry
I bet you that the resonator pipe on the left is rubbing againts the half axle especially as you have just had some exhaust work done, i had the same thing was driving my nuts, i thought it was the diff, changed the oil did loads, check wheel bearings but actually it was this. On the left resonator pipe that hits the muffler its very close to the disk closest to the diff, the other right hand side isnt. See my thread for more info http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e3...172500-resonators-rubbing-exhaust-height.html

Jerry ~

Thank you for your comment ! Today when I was doing the diff oil change , I did thak a look at exhaust pipes passing where the diffs are.

However I didnt seem to be getting in contact with exhaust pipe ~ To me it seemed like there were enough gaps . I attache some photos

have a look and let me know what you think ~! Thanks !

Attachments

·
Registered
12,965 Posts
So jerry, did my BMW oil had special additive in it ?? Now I had my diff oil changed it to MOTUL and when the shop was changing it

there were some shaved metal particles came out along with oil. Why would this happen ? even with the right weight oil ???
I don't know why BMW has a superceded part number, but I wouldn't worry about it not having the right additives (if any). If it is BMW spec, it is what they recommend. The new part may have an improved product, like MTF-LT1 being supercedes by LT2.

Not sure about metal shavings, but that doesn't sound particularly good to me. The metal is coming from somewhere. Choice is either the ring, the pinion, a bearing, or something from the clutch packs. If it were me, I would have taken some of the old oil with the metal shavings and sent it our for analysis. I assume groups that do oil analysis, like Blackstone, could do it for you.

I don't think it is an exhaust pipe issue, but it is hard to tell from a static picture. The pipe will have some give, so with the car COLD, move the pipe around as much as you can. If it gets close to the diff, (a finger width or so), then hitting the diff under heavy load is possible. But it should not be an issue simply turning right or left.

Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
906 Posts
So jerry, did my BMW oil had special additive in it ?? Now I had my diff oil changed it to MOTUL and when the shop
was changing it there were some shaved metal particles came out along with oil.
Why would this happen ? even with the right weight oil ???
Your troubleshooting should be concentrated on determining the exact source of the metal in the oil. The differential must
be removed and disassembled.

Sorry to deliver the bad news, but it's your only viable alternative.

Regards,
Alan

1 - 9 of 9 Posts