BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Noticed one of my rear tyres was soggy yesterday... pumped it up and then saw a screw in it.

looked at the rest of the tyres, also a nail in one of the fronts!

This happened two months ago as well, in the opposite tyres.

Damned suspicious - especially as the current screw in the rear tyre isn't fully in the tyre and is at a very funny angle, I suspect foul play :-(

Wouldn't bother me as much if I could get matching replacements, but having shelled out £800 for the set, and only being 1/3 of the way through the tread wear, it's annoying to probably having to replace four tyres :Thumbdown:

·
Registered
388 Posts
As long as it is not on the side way, they are repairable, with a patch on the inside.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
I was always told a high-speed tyre should not be cold patched/plugged, but needed a hot-galvanised repair.

The relevant regulation is BSAU159f:1997 (have to pay to download the PDF), but I can't find any official source for that regulation, only the snippets on tyre fitter websites which may have been cherry-picked to make them the most cash.

Reactions: 1day

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Wouldn't bother me as much if I could get matching replacements, but having shelled out £800 for the set, :Thumbdown:
what tyres you got on there?

Didn't pay that for my 20"s on the 7! Pirelli's too:dunno:

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Michelin pilot sport 2.

245 / 265 17 inch.

I spent ages finding them as the're no longer made (another thread on here about that)

Noticed my Saab rear and front opposing sides have some nails in as well, think I'll be chatting to my neighbourhood police tomorrow.

Some people make me rather angry.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was always told a high-speed tyre should not be cold patched/plugged, but needed a hot-galvanised repair.

The relevant regulation is BSAU159f:1997 (have to pay to download the PDF), but I can't find any official source for that regulation, only the snippets on tyre fitter websites which may have been cherry-picked to make them the most cash.
Cheers for the info. I was worried about high speed resilence of a repai, this probably is a good way of reassuring me

·
Registered
134 Posts
i dont suppose you could rig a webcam or something up on your car at night and then see if you can see some foul play? i several years ago had a problem with roofing nails, dry wall screws and the likes, but it was just because there was a particularly useless construction area i had to drive through, i didnt clue in at first, but i was relieved that no one was out to get me!

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i dont suppose you could rig a webcam or something up on your car at night and then see if you can see some foul play? i several years ago had a problem with roofing nails, dry wall screws and the likes, but it was just because there was a particularly useless construction area i had to drive through, i didnt clue in at first, but i was relieved that no one was out to get me!
I thought the same the first time my E34 picked up two nails in the tyres.

But, I just can't see me picking up four nails (two in the E34, two in the Saab), both sides of each car, in the same week. I haven't been anywhere near any building sites, in fact, I haven't been to the same location in both cars, I have them for different types of journeys (the saab is for winter and city driving / shopping etc).

I think one of my neighbours on the street has a problem with the quantity of motor vehicles I have :-(

·
Registered
80 Posts
Just plug the tyres they will be fine, People say you shouldn't plug a bike tyre because it's not safe although i've done 190mph on a plugged tyre and never had a problem.

Also, if you replace the tyres and the same problem occures your not going to be very happy.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have to Porcshe Caenne R20 wheels have also been repaired after a puncture and it had no effect on operation.
The truth, is more than 150 km / h accelerated not often and in the race did not participate.

worse was when I had to insert a camera into the wheel R17 to get home :)) fell apart on the go at 90km / h :))

·
Registered
218 Posts
+1 on plugging them. I had my old PS(1)s plugged without any issues at all several years ago. The tyre guy did mention that they were not supposed to plug Z rated tyres, but he had plugged his Hayabusa tyre before and did 280+ km/h regularly.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Didnt have time to visit the tyre shop today, will hopefully find tomorrow.

The guy how own's the tyre place is a friend, he does all my cars now, (and a lot of high speed motors for a Teddington based motoring magazine...) I'll take his advice.

Jamie

·
Registered
584 Posts
I've had nail holes in my PS2's repaired before by Costco (where the tires were from) and they held up just fine. They'd only see speeds up to 120 mph though, so can't say how they hold up past those speeds. But I was told by someone there that actually knows his stuff that the style repair he performed (dismounting the tire & patching it from the inside) is actually stronger than the tire.

Love the free repairs & the road hazard warranty warranty that one gets with their tires @ Costco. Have had two PS2's replaced free of charge due to unrepairable damage. And 3 or 4 holes patched in my PS2's & PS A/S's.

So if the hole is repairable and the repair is carried out properly I see no reason not to have it done. I've driven rather hard on my Michelins when they've been patched and never had any hint of an issue arise due to the repairs...

·
Registered
600 Posts
Hello there 1day, you can fix the tires, if you are in london go to "Wembly tires" takes them little over 20mins depends on the damage, I went to them planning to buy 2sets for my fronts, the guys looked at it and said we'll check it 20mins later they said done no need to replace. I told them i was taking my car to south of Spain they said i'll be fine and they were right. Still on the car as i write, this fix from last august. Good luck. Y

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
dropped the car in this morning - fingers crossed!

all done.

Only the rear needed to come of the rim, the front wasn't penetrated.

So, it's plugged from the inside.

I'll be monitoring it (pressure wise) etc.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts