BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cant take it anymore!! Too Ugly To Party with, take my position,
I spent 3 hours tonight to try and convince myself to take delivery,
but my gut tells me (ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MIND) so whoever wants my position, I was given it when I bought my Stunning 2003 Imola red M5:byee55amg

·
Registered
79 Posts
Well, I too thought the e60 (normal) was ugly as sin when it was launched, but now I've gone so far I actually think it's beautiful.

I like my 7 series now too - it was company car time and I was too young to be driving an MB so I chose that - thinking it was horrible to look at.

Given the enormous success and critical plaudits the e39 got, I think BMW showed real balls in doing such a big makeover on the car.

Porsche designers, take note.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I dont mind the front, the side, the rear - but the rear from the side is questionable - the part I find repulsive is the Dash and the Doors, if I was not so fascinated by the ergonomics of the E39 M5, maybe it would have not bothered me as much

So for me the interior and no manual kills it

Munky said:
Well, I too thought the e60 (normal) was ugly as sin when it was launched, but now I've gone so far I actually think it's beautiful.

I like my 7 series now too - it was company car time and I was too young to be driving an MB so I chose that - thinking it was horrible to look at.

Given the enormous success and critical plaudits the e39 got, I think BMW showed real balls in doing such a big makeover on the car.

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
you need to start drinking the cool aid that Chris Bangle fed the Board of Directors over at BMW AG. Start with an interview:
http://www.topgear.com/content/features/stories/bangle/01/

then look at sand dunes for hours and decide how they can be transformed into a car.

Then you need to consider how to complicate switching from am-fm and why its good to complicate it.

Repeat this process daily and you may become convinced. :crying:

Now on a serious note, if it doesn't cost you anything, keep your spot- or speak with the dealer and see if you can switch to the M6 if you like that. Wait to see the car on the road- you never know, you might actually like it.

I don't but thats because I don't drink cool aid! ;)

·
Registered
722 Posts
Speaking of Porsche...

The E60 body shape is by no means so beautiful that it will be the basis of the 5 series form factor for the next 40 years, in my opinion. In fact, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the next 5-series resembles the E39 as much or more than the E60, a retrenchment by BMW so to speak. Nevertheless, I have made peace with the E60 exterior and interior, particularly in "M" trim. My only concern is that resale value may plummet if the general public does not find the E60 body style attractive. Potential loss of value on trade-in must be factored into the cost of owning the car.

There is a "know thyself" aspect to this. What is most important to you? Is it looking at your car, or driving your car? If it's the latter, and you forsake the extraordinary driving environment of the M5 in favor of a more attractive car, will you be happy with the choice?

Richard

·
Registered
517 Posts
So Jerry,
Howya doin' wit dat SL55? (Atlanta guy trying to do a Jersey accent) I know it runs well and the torque is intoxicating, and I understand that when a die hard BMW guy like you buys one of those, it could be considered an act of passive protest. But it is a pretty nice car, right? A slushbox with a beautiful body and massive power can be fun, I suppose. I still think you'll eventually end up with a E60 M5.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
I doubt the replacement for th e60 looks more like the e39... they have turned away from the older designs, and as witnessed by some of the turnarounds on this board, it seems to be working. BMW is attracting new customers.. they can't sell to the "old" ones forever.

Will the replacement look like the e60? Maybe, maybe not. But they won't take a step back to the old look.

·
Registered
722 Posts
vndkshn said:
I doubt the replacement for th e60 looks more like the e39... they have turned away from the older designs, and as witnessed by some of the turnarounds on this board, it seems to be working. BMW is attracting new customers.. they can't sell to the "old" ones forever.

Will the replacement look like the e60? Maybe, maybe not. But they won't take a step back to the old look.
I'm not at all against moving forward with design, and as I mentioned, I've actually warmed up to the E60 M5 body style. The E60 M5 will probably be the next car in my garage. In my opinion, however, the new 3-Series, which departs from its old, successful formula less radically than the E60, is more immediately attractive. I wouldn't be at all surprised for the 5-Series headlamps to lose their current motif, and for the rear quarter panel not to be interrupted by the trunk lid seam next time around. In the E60, the trunk seam causes visual confusion by creating two separate rear ends to the car, one a continuation of the roof line into this seam, and the other, the trunk, which seems an incompletely integrated appendage because of this seam. Time will tell.

By the way, how is the 5-Series selling? I'm concerned that I don't see more of them on the street.

Richard

·
Registered
248 Posts
The new shape has grown on me..... I actually like it. The iDrive is Ok. The eyebrows (front side lights), I can't get used to. It would look nice without it...Can someone photoshop an M5 without the eyebrows?

·
Registered
890 Posts
vndkshn said:

I agree with Vndkshn. As ugly as the E60 is they will not turn back the clock like the Americans have with respect to styling. To bad really. IMHO the E34 looks better than any of the 5 series cars. It handles better as well. All this new tech stuff in the E39 and E60 is all well and good but the connection to the road is going going gone.....

I love my E39. It is truly a luxo cruiser. Much quieter than the the E34. Nonetheless not as fun to drive. I haven't driven the E60 yet. Sat in one listened to the engine but that's as far as I got. My guess is the direction towrds more "stuff" like the E39 had over the E34 will lead one further from the prototypical BMW driving experience we have come to love.

When all is said and done even with these obsevations I may still buy an M6 coupe. I do have a deposit down untill I hop off the fence.

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
Michael,
I seriously doubt I will end up with an E60 M5. Its just not doing it for me. Mostly due to SMG.

I think the SL55 is a fantastic vehicle and I can see it being a very long term hold for us. It works for both my wife and I, and as far as I am concerned, shifting it with their step tronic is just as involving- or not- as SMG. I can even get it to shift smoothly and when I want by measuring my throttle inputs- just like... SMG. What I miss is throttle blipped downshifts. But thats it. I plan on keeping my E39 M5 for as long as she will run. I love the combination of virtues it provides. Its main weakness is the steering, which was helped with Pilot Sport tires. Its still a little numb, but its by no means bad.

As for styling, my best info says don't get too married to this design language. I hear BMW WILL go back to the past for all their new designs! Hooray!!! But it will be a modern take on the past, no droopy eyebrows, etc though. They are concerned that they have lost the "BMWness" in their designs and I concur. Yes, the move upstairs for Bangle was the beginning of a program to get him out gracefully. Don't ask how I know, I just do. Don't agree- then sit back and wait.

·
Registered
881 Posts
This thread really strikes a cord with me since I too have been torn for some time about what to do re: the M60 M5.
I so desperately want this car due to its fantastic drivetrain; suspension; etc. However I fear that try as I might I cannot 'force' myself to buy the car when so much is simply 'wrong':

The styling: I know; it's all been said before, and this is my opinion, BUT the front looks like any Pontiac Grand Prix as you drive towards it; the Rear, and especially the rear fender with the awful boot, (trunk), shut line, is a disaster. High boots I can live with for aerodynamic reasons, BUT the blasted boot shut line should have been internal to the fender, not half way down the rear quarter panel; it just looks odd.

The interior: I-Drive. No matter how you try and rationalize it, it is NOT an intuitive device, and imho, can present a serious safety issue, i.e. having to take one's eyes off of the road for an extended period of time to make certain adjustments. I'm frankly surprised BMW's US lawyers allowed it; I'm just waiting for the first suits to be filed. The dash is a stylistic mess, and not representative of BMW's previous 'Driver Oriented' attitude. The rest of the interior I can certainly appreciate, I think.

At this point in time I'm leaning towards a new Range Rover Sport, (Supercharged of course), and a dedicated track type car such as the new Z-06. Decisions like this should NOT be so friggin' hard!!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Munky said:

Me too! When I first saw the new 5 series, I was all for Bangle being flogged and stoned or stoned and flogged, whichever hurt the most. To my eyes the car was an esthetic failure. Now when I see a picture of an M5, from most angles I cannot take my eyes from it. The Bangle Butt from the side still disturbs, but in a compelling way. It's akward, but it fits the car. As far as Bangle goes, though I'm unwilling to have his children, he's out of my doghouse.

:cool: simmikie

cool-aid huh?

·
Registered
890 Posts
simmikie said:
Me too! When I first saw the new 5 series, I was all for Bangle being flogged and stoned or stoned and flogged, whichever hurt the most. To my eyes the car was an esthetic failure. Now when I see a picture of an M5, from most angles I cannot take my eyes from it. The Bangle Butt from the side still disturbs, but in a compelling way. It's akward, but it fits the car. As far as Bangle goes, though I'm unwilling to have his children, he's out of my doghouse.

:cool: simmikie

cool-aid huh?
Kind of like what happens to an urbanite. What would appall a suburbanite is acceptable to the urbanite, because they become accustom to it, and therefore it becomes the norm. Unlike every BMW I have seein before this new bangle style is completly uninspiring. Getting used to it does not a beautiful car make.....BMW is winning new clients and loosing it's customers.

·
Registered
816 Posts
simmikie said:
Now when I see a picture of an M5, from most angles I cannot take my eyes from it. :cool: simmikie

cool-aid huh?
That's what I think too. Everytime I see a 5 series go past me, I think this is a very modern looking car that really sets itself apart from the rest. I'm still not warm to the wavey head lights, but the whole package looks better in real life than on paper.

However, I recall seeing the E39 for the very first time and that occasion was more impressive in feeling than it did with the first E60 encounter.

Nagisoftware, I don't think you'll regret keeping the E39, but you might regret taking up the E60 judging by what you wrote.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
I doubt that BMW will go back to previous designs, they would look VERY dated if released now.

However, I imagine that BMW will do a blend of today and yesterday, and I suspect that they have learned their lesson with really polarizing customers by making very drastic changes.

I really find myself drawn to the cars when I see them in traffic. The right wheels really make a huge difference, as well as the color.

I don't know about national or worldwide sales, but my very unofficial and unscientific "study" (what is on dealer lots and the number I see on the road) seems to indicate they are selling well here. In fact, my brother in law is trying to buy one, yet there is nothing available in this area in 545 trim. Interesting note, he HATED the e60 originally, as well as the E65. Now he really likes both designs.

·
Registered
336 Posts
MEnthusiast said:
Michael,
I seriously doubt I will end up with an E60 M5. Its just not doing it for me. Mostly due to SMG.

I think the SL55 is a fantastic vehicle and I can see it being a very long term hold for us. It works for both my wife and I, and as far as I am concerned, shifting it with their step tronic is just as involving- or not- as SMG. I can even get it to shift smoothly and when I want by measuring my throttle inputs- just like... SMG. What I miss is throttle blipped downshifts. But thats it. I plan on keeping my E39 M5 for as long as she will run. I love the combination of virtues it provides. Its main weakness is the steering, which was helped with Pilot Sport tires. Its still a little numb, but its by no means bad.
Don't mean to hijack the thread but I stopped by my dealer today and got to talking with my salesguy. We started to talk about the SL/CL 65 and I kiddingly asked him if he had any out back. He said he had an SL65 and would I like to take it out for a drive :biggrin: OMG, is that thing fast. Makes my car feel like a slug. Going from a stop with just the slightest bit of aggressiveness with the right foot sets the tires spinning. Do 50 mph and hit the gas, and the rear end starts fishtailing. But, just like you SL it's comfortable, civilized and a car you can drive everyday. would I spend $185K on it? Not sure. Hell, I could get a Ferrari F430 for that. Or for a little more a 911 turbo and keep my car. That would be the best of both worlds.

·
Registered
61 Posts
WHAT IS EVERYONE'S DEAL???? :D
Let's face it and quit kiddin' yourselves...If you are paying this kind of money for a car it better be "Love at first sight" , not "maybe the looks will grow on me" because if those looks "grow" on you, you gonna be ugly! Yes, it's grown on me, but only minimally and not to the point where I could ever think that it's one of the most beautiful cars I've ever seen...which it should if you're going to buy one.
CHOOSE YOUR LOVE.......LOVE YOUR CHOICE :M5thumbs:

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
I agree with the wheels comment. I think the M5 in black with the right wheels, tinted windows will look absolutely stunning. I've got a pretty good idea because my car has generated a lot of compliments. Probably the best indication is when I see people walking around it in a parking lot trying to figure out what it is. The M5 will just look better IMO.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 119 Posts