BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
with my garage door opener. It's a new house, so I'm sure the codes are learnable (is that a word). I'm following the directions in the manual.

Any ideas of what's happening or not happening?

Thanks,
KP
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,965 Posts
KWP said:
with my garage door opener. It's a new house, so I'm sure the codes are learnable (is that a word). I'm following the directions in the manual.

Any ideas of what's happening or not happening?

Thanks,
KP
I had trouble programming also. For some reason, button #2 worked when #1 would not, so try it. Also give this website a try: www.homelink.com/training/train.taf.
Regards,
Jerry
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,952 Posts
Some garage door openers re-set the code every time it is used. We have a Genie and we cannot get the "homelink" to work and we have tried every bit of advice. We have a 2001 530i and the 2002 M5 and neither will work.

Our previous garage door opener would work, because it did not re-set the codes. Anyway, I wish you luck and if you have success please forward that info here!!:typing: :byebye: thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
977 Posts
KWP said:
with my garage door opener. It's a new house, so I'm sure the codes are learnable (is that a word). I'm following the directions in the manual.

Any ideas of what's happening or not happening?

Thanks,
KP
Program the transmitter in the car by the normal directions. Then you need to set your opener to learn mode since it's rolling code (anything in the past many years is). Theres usually a button you press onec, and then you press the button in your universal transmitter so it can sync up, and woila, it works.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
150 Posts
HDClown said:
Program the transmitter in the car by the normal directions. Then you need to set your opener to learn mode since it's rolling code (anything in the past many years is). Theres usually a button you press onec, and then you press the button in your universal transmitter so it can sync up, and woila, it works.
Are you saying it's a 2 step process? It sounds like your saying to program with the remote, then program again with the code button on the garage door unit. Please explain in detail.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
977 Posts
M5_ForMe said:
Are you saying it's a 2 step process? It sounds like your saying to program with the remote, then program again with the code button on the garage door unit. Please explain in detail.
Yes, 2 steps.

1) Program the universal transmitter. I forget the exact option, but you can reset the buttons but holding down 1 & 3 until the light flashes. Then press and hold the button to prorgam until the light flashes (or stops flashing) while also pressing down the button on your garage door opener transmiter, with it pointed at the universal transmitter.

2) Next, go to your garage door openiner hanging from the ceiling, there should be a button used to programming the transmitters to talk to it. Usually you press that button once, and a light flashes. Within 30 seconds (or less), you need to press the button on our universal transmitter so it can "link" with the garage door opener (this is because it uses rolling codes). Once that's done, the universal transmitter should work
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
150 Posts
HDClown said:
Yes, 2 steps.

1) Program the universal transmitter. I forget the exact option, but you can reset the buttons but holding down 1 & 3 until the light flashes. Then press and hold the button to prorgam until the light flashes (or stops flashing) while also pressing down the button on your garage door opener transmiter, with it pointed at the universal transmitter.

2) Next, go to your garage door openiner hanging from the ceiling, there should be a button used to programming the transmitters to talk to it. Usually you press that button once, and a light flashes. Within 30 seconds (or less), you need to press the button on our universal transmitter so it can "link" with the garage door opener (this is because it uses rolling codes). Once that's done, the universal transmitter should work
This is about the only thing I haven't tried. I'll give it a shot.

Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,071 Posts
The Homelink "rolling code" instructions are on a separate page in the manual immediately following the regular programming instructions. BMW calls it "Change" or "Conversion code". Something gets lost in translation. Anyway, if you are reading the section that says you need 2 people to do it, you are at the correct section. you must push the button on the garage door opener when programming the BMW Universal Transmitter (Garage Door Opener). From the Manual:

Programming a hand-held
transmitter with change code
Read and comply with the safety
precautions on page 93.<
Consult the operating instructions when
programming the BMW Universal
Transmitter for a particular device.
Read and comply with the following
programming instructions to use the
BMW Universal Transmitter with a
change code system:

1. Program the BMW Universal Transmitter
as described above under
"Programming"
2. Press and hold the programming key
on the receiver of the device for
about two seconds or until the
programming lamp on the device
comes on
3. Press the desired channel key on the
BMW Universal Transmitter three
times.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top