BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am sorry if this info is somewhere, but I cannot find this specific subject. I have read hundreds of posts prior to posting this message.
I have searched this board plus X5world and Martins site.
I bought a Mk IV to replace a MkIII, and do not have any function with the "info" button. No RDS or PTY option appears when you press this button.
Nothing appears when I push this button.

Any ideas what I can do to make these options appear?
Thanks, Mike

·
Registered
95 Posts
My guess is you're not in USA mode.

Turn off your radio.

Turn on your radio and quickly hold down SELECT for about 10-15 seconds, until the serial number for your radio appears on the screen. (Don't panic while holding the button when the regular SELECT options appear. They'll disappear.

Use the channel select "right arrow" to scroll through the various menus (you'll see DSP, TP VOLUME, and others) until you see AREA.

When you get to AREA, use channel preset "1" to scroll throught the areas until you've reached USA.

Turn off radio. Turn on radio. Reset all of your stations.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Goody4 said:
My guess is you're not in USA mode.

Turn off your radio.

Turn on your radio and quickly hold down SELECT for about 10-15 seconds, until the serial number for your radio appears on the screen. (Don't panic while holding the button when the regular SELECT options appear. They'll disappear.

Use the channel select "right arrow" to scroll through the various menus (you'll see DSP, TP VOLUME, and others) until you see AREA.

When you get to AREA, use channel preset "1" to scroll throught the areas until you've reached USA.

Turn off radio. Turn on radio. Reset all of your stations.
Select buton? Do you mean the right rotary knob? Tried that and nothing showed up on screen......

·
Registered
95 Posts
PilotMike said:
Select buton? Do you mean the right rotary knob? Tried that and nothing showed up on screen......
No. There should be a button to the right of the TONE button that reads SELECT. Press and hold that for 10-15 seconds. The rotary knob is not used in the process I described.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dang it, I have tried this and nothing appears on screen. Oh well....

·
Registered
95 Posts
Well, something has to show up your screen when you press SELECT. Do the SELECT options at least appear (i,e. SEARCH SENSITIVE STATIONS, SEARCH NON-SENSITIVE STATIONS, and <m> MANUALLY SEARCH STATIONS)?

It's not always possible to get to the service menu the first time. Try again.

But, turn off your radio first.

Turn it on, and (quickly) with the same finger hold down SELECT until the serial numbers shows up. May take longer than 15 seconds.

FWIW, I'd bet the farm you're not in USA mode.

·
Registered
187 Posts
it's not that simple. he won't be able to set the mode because the nav unit doesn't know what radio it is hooked up to.

you have to get a copy of the V21.1 CD (go to x5world.com and look for them there) and then downgrade the nav to that version, and then re-upgrade it to V25. have the radio off while you do it. then, when the unit spits out the V25 disk and reboots, turn the radio ON when you see the BMW logo, then off again. wait until the main menu appears then turn the radio back on. that should fix it.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Hi Mike, I had this problem when I upgraded to the widescreen with MkIV unit. I had purchased the kit from bimmernav and posted a message similar to yours. (see response below) I tried to disconnect the battery cable but it didn't work for me, however downgrading to a lower version of the software and then upgrading again did!

On the MKIV upgrade, the reason BMW says "not compatible" seems to be that on some car configurations just upgrading from an earlier system to MKIV, "looses" the soft keys INFO and Select.

"This is an easy fix.

Here is a recent discussion on Roadfly
http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums/e38/6064786-1.html

The problem is the Nav brain does not fully recognize your screen. You
can try one of the following:
1. Disconnect and reconnect the battery. This will cause a reboot
of the Nav unit. ( This worked for some)

Warning! Make absolutely sure that the Nav unit has completely
cycled down before disconnecting anything. Usually takes up to 90 seconds. You will know for sure when the red light goes out (key off)

2. Downgrade the software to version v22.1 or LOWER, turn on the navigation system to see it operate and then upgrade again. (This will also cause the unit to reboot, and when you upgrade the software it will scan the Ibus and pick up the new system)

3. Have the unit recoded at the dealer. (My dealer charged me nothing for this but not all dealers are the same.)

You can find the Navigation OS here
http://www.x5world.net/nav_os.htm

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I will have it recoded at the dealer.
I tried the burnt CD upgrade on my MkIII and the CD got stuck, hence me buying the MkIV.
I am not about to try another attempt at upgrading, I will leave that to my dealer.
Thank you very much for your replies!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts