BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Instead of using the money I have scraped together on the lovely shiney parts I've been drooling over on the evolve website for the last few months, Ive spent it all on boring *** maintenance. It does mean I won't get my pretty new headers and shiny intake system till probably this time next year but hopefully this work will stand me in good stead when that time comes.

The big blue money dyson is booked into Mr Vanos in Darlington for the following work at the end of the month:

· Vanos gear Spring Plates (replace with uprates post facelift spec)
· Timing chain tensioners
· VANOS recon (inspect, clean, replace all seals/gaskets)
· Thermostat
· Any gaskets/belts/dodgey looking items binned and replaced/uprated as required
· Fluid service (everything including power steering, brakes… the lot) and any associated filters
· Fuel filter
· Injector removal and refurb
· Inspect and repair fuel lines if required

I think I've covered all the major trouble areas but can anyone see anything I've missed? Brakes and suspension will be done over next winter in a similar fashion, replacing wear parts and uprating a few choice items. Then she will be ready for a bit of extra go!

Should be in tip top shape for the RR day!

·
Registered
991 Posts
The big blue money dyson

:7::haha2: Thats funny, I've got one of those as well! lol

But all seriousness, you're better off having a solid motor with no headers than a blown motor with shiny headers hanging off it. The add-ons will come in time, but keep the maintenance up and you'll be happier in the long run.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice list!

Who's Mr Vanos in Darlington?
Bloke called Steve apparently... I've never used him before but I've heard good things about his skills. I contacted him about a VANOS service and told him there I had a few other things i needed doing. He seems to know his stuff and I've heard good reports. Plus all the work comes with a 1 year warranty.

www.mrvanos.com

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
is youre vanos in bad shape?
Not particularly but the car is now 12 years old, done 76k and running untouched original vanos. Not so much as a seal change. I'd rather plan to have some preventative maintenance done on them now than wait for a problem. I wanted to upgrade the later spec gears/spring plates anyway to reduce the idle chatter and this all ties in with the other work i wanted done so seems daft not to have them looked over especially given that I will be getting 2 fully refurbished Vanos modules for £200.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts